..adding a second detail file to SD card...

zippes

Just want to confirm (for sure) what will happen…

Ok… current status:

Magellan Meridian

64Mb SD card containing a single DETAIL00.img detailed map (which was put on the card via card reader).

If I hook up the GPSr to the PC and define a second region on MapSend topo and have it process the info and transmit via the serial port, will the second detailed map goto the SD card as DETAIL01.img?… or only in GPSr memory?… or what?

(…inquiring minds and all that..)

thanks…

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

..thanks Stunod,

So, using the 'card utilities' if I rename the existing detail map from DETAIL00.img to DETAIL01.img, and run the MapSend program it will create a 'new' DETAIL00.img on the SD card and I'll end up with both on the card... right??

I havent tried this, but another way to do it might be to change a line in the mapsend.cfg file in the Mapsend folder.

Try changing the file name from detail00.img to a file name of your choice.

The line to edit is the last line in the section I've copied below:

[DEVICE_DEFAULTS]

Com_Port=1

Baud_rate=19200

Memory_Size=5552

Conv_Maximum_Number_of_Regions=1

Conv_Memory_Size=14336

Write_Export_Log=0

Write_GPS_Log=0

Write_upload_Log=0

UploadDevice=1

MMC_NAME=detail00.img

Let us know if you try it...

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Rasstag:

..thanks Stunod,

So, using the 'card utilities' if I rename the existing detail map from DETAIL00.img to DETAIL01.img, and run the MapSend program it will create a 'new' DETAIL00.img on the SD card and I'll end up with both on the card... right??

I'm pretty sure there is no "rename" function in the card utilities of the Meridian. You will need to do the renaming with a card reader.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Rasstag:

if I rename the existing detail map from DETAIL00.img to DETAIL01.img...

Of course, you can name them whatever you like, but one of the reasons I like the Meridian is that I can name my maps. I have Memphis North (which is Memphis and a big area to the north, Memphis South, which is memphis plus Mississippi, and LA--which is Louisiana.

Gotta love the memory cards.

Jamie

Rasstag - it is a LOT easier (and a LOT faster) if you pop for $20 to $29 and get a card reader/writer.

Then there is a much easier (FASTER) way to do what you want. My several detail maps are named for the area(s) they cover.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

DustyJacket ... very true... and I 'do' have a reader/writer... I was just trying to understand what my options were if I were using MapSend after initially loading a file via the reader/writer.

... and, btw Cracker7M ... I touched base with the Megellan folks and asked about changing the MMC_NAME= value... They said at present (may change in the future), MapSend would delete whatever map was on the card if it were run to generate a new detailed map.

Rasstag - in that case, do this:

(1) DOn't hook your GPS to the cable

(2) Put your SD card into the reader

(3) Run MapSend, select your region, and tell it to upload to the GPS.

(4) After it does all the conversions, it will have an error because the GPS is not connect. Click "CANCEL".

(5) Go into the folder and find the map.img file just created. Rename it to <something no more than 8 characters>.IMG and copy it to your SD card.

Repeat steps 3,4,5 as many times as you desire.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif