Using legend firmware in a venture.....

mrp

I read a few days ago in the Yahoo Etrex forum, that somebody has loaded Legend firmware into a Venture.

You lose the POI, and you can't upload maps (becuase the venture doesn't actually have any memory), but you get the additional active trackpoints (up to 10000), and more waypoints, and more legs in routes, etc. They guy claims he has also backgraded it to Venture firmware.

I don't have a venture, so I can't try it... but I'd love to heard reports. Has anybody here tried this?

-- Pneumatic

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

You lose the POI, and you can't upload maps (becuase the venture doesn't actually have any memory), but you get the additional active trackpoints (up to 10000), and more waypoints, and more legs in routes, etc.

I wonder if you really get that much or if the unit only thinks you can put it in but in fact it gets hosed since the memory isn't there.

quote:
Originally posted by GeckoGeek:

I wonder if you really get that much or if the unit only thinks you can put it in but in fact it gets hosed since the memory isn't there.

According to what I've read, you can't upload anything, either Maps or POI. The 1MB of memory is completely inaccessbile, but you do get the nice features of the recent legend firmware... larger active tracklog, more points on routes, more waypoints, etc. If you don't use the uploadable POI data, then you aren't really losing anything.

Of course, it's possible that this will work with some ventures and not with others... there may be more than one type of venture.. manufactuers often have multiple version of a product that appear identical on the outside. And you do risk making the unit completely unusable if this fails.. so it's a bit risky.

-- Pneumatic

I think that GeckoGeek means that the software may just think it can store 10000 tracklog points, but will actually run out of internal memory before it can store all 10000.

The firmware probably doesn't check the stats of the GPS to verify the amount of memory, etc. since the software is only meant to go on the legend, which is basically a 'fixed' configuration. It makes sense that it would run on the Venture (the eTrex series probably all uses the same 'base' hardware, with additions for the more expensive models).

I bet if that person actually tried to hit the boundary cases / limits with the legend software on their venture, they'll get some suprises (and possibly some really unpleasant ones).

IMHO, not really worth the risk of making your venture into a nice plastic brick.

I actually tried this when I had a Venture.

The Legend software would not load onto the Venture. It told me I was trying to load the wrong software.

I imagine that it could be done but you'd have to piggyback a Legend with a Venture but connecting the computer's send with both units and the receive only with the Legend.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

Hello. I've actually done this with my Venture and so far everything is working. I've maxed-out the active track log and then downloaded it through GPS Trackmaker. The result is a track with 9,998 points. I haven't tried uploading 1,000 waypoints yet, but it appears that others have.

Supposedly, the Legend firmware is using the memory space normally reserved for the World Cities basemap/POI's to store the extra info. This is fine with me since I really don't use the cities map and have no desire to use the POI feature.

For those interested, you can find a couple of threads on the subject at the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup forum at google.groups.com

— Trailkat

quote:
Originally posted by shegget:

I think that GeckoGeek means that the software may just think it can store 10000 tracklog points, but will actually run out of internal memory before it can store all 10000.

Exactly!

quote:
I bet if that person actually tried to hit the boundary cases / limits with the legend software on their venture, they'll get some suprises (and possibly some really unpleasant ones).
And they may not find out until they actually recall the earlier ones and find the waypoint is set to somewhere else.

However, if both units have the same amount of memory and it's just a partition issue, then it may well work.