What do you think of the Magellan GPS 2000

Guest spaceykingsfan

Guest spaceykingsfan

My uncle has it & will let me borrow it. Does anyone here have it & use it? (I know it is older) Please tell me if it works well or not. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

When I first got a GPS I got the magellan 2000 and was disapointed with it. It took forever to lock onto a satalite and would lose the lock when you walked any where near a tree. I took it back and the guy at the store recommened a Garmin 12XL and sai I could try that and If I didn't like it he would refund my money. Took it home and it was a night and day diffrence. The Garmin would lock on in seconds and never seems to loose it's lock in tree cover.

I know there is a big diffrence in the technology between the two units and the Garmin with the Parallel recievers is way better.

If you are borrowing the Magellan you can play with it and see if you like it but if your going to buy one please do yourself a favor and get a Garmin.

Guest bunkerdave

Obviously the older receivers with their antiquated hardware are less accurate and able to hold the signal. I use the Mag. Map330, and am usually under 10 feet of the caches I find. (Most are 6 feet or less). This is with the WAAS upgrade, but I have not noticed a significant improvement since installing the upgrade. I have used several other GPS units on hunts with others, and have not been impressed with my "field tests" of the "other units." Granted, I was only using them for a short time, but I have never read the users manual for the 330, and have learned everything about it just from using it.

Just my $0.02.