GPSmap 76S vs Etrex Vista (2nd GPS Unit)

I've owned a Magellan MAP 330X package now for a good 6 months, and I can heartily say that it's been grand!

I am impressed with it's accuracy and it's capability--as well as the fact that it only cost me a ham radio walkie talkie in trade icon_wink.gif.

However, I'd like to choose one of Garmin's products (they have the Maidenhead Grid while Magellan's units do not). Well, I've narrowed my search to the Etrex Vista and the GPSmap 76S.

I know that it's one of these two. Locally, I've gotten a lot of praise of the GPSmap 76S over the Vista, but I'm pretty sure that's the way I want to go, primarily due to the Vista's size and features. On the other hand, the 76S has that wonderfully large, high-resolution screen *drool* that I also enjoy looking at (in the store).

Vista, 76S, Vista, 76S. . .It's getting hard to decide. I'm aware of the flip flop required with the 76S as regards to compass readings vs maximum receiving efficiency due to the vertically polarized helix antenna. The lack of a CDI Pointer on the compass page of the 76S is a bit of a pain, whereas the Vista has that.

Tide data would be interesting if I were on the coast, but I live in Michigan, and the Great Lakes don't have tides. Conversely, if I travel to the coast--and I'd like to when I get my motorcycle--that information may come in right handy. I'm a boater, so it might just do very well to have it available.

I'm also a hiker, and get into a lot of spots with dense, broad-leaf tree cover. I've heard of the stories about reduced reception with the Vista's patch antenna over the 76S's helix antenna. I've also heard just the opposite, that the Vista has, at times, shown more sensitivity. Regarding this, others have mentioned certain Vistas that operate more efficiently than others, probably due to a manufacturing issue.

This is what I've read. I've handled each unit in the store. I know of their high and lesser points, compared to each other. They are both capable units. The sales people at a West Marine store in a town north of me said "I wouldn't waste my money on a Vista." I felt this highly unfair, as it is a most capable unit, used by many hikers and climbers--as well as being highly effective in *cold* weather. Did I mention cold? I live in **Michigan**, where it gets below zero during certain times of the year.

I would like some feedback from Vista and 76S users to help me make an informed decision. I plan to purchase one or the other and the MapSend Topo CD within the next two months.

All comments are welcomed icon_smile.gif. Thank you very much for your assistance.

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

I like my Vista, screen is a bit small, but totally useable, the click stick takes some getting used to, but once there is easy, just use with your left hand as Garmin intended. The CDI is nice, especially for you being a boater, that way you are not "homing" I seem to be blessed with a Vista that works exceptionally well in dense tree cover, I went in not expecting it to work, but maintained a lock the entire time. Also adding waypoints is pretty easy, not quite as easy as with mapsource, but you cannot have everything. I have no regrets for buying mine, then again I was not contemplating the 76S, seems too bulky to fit in a pocket and that screen looks pretty vulnerable.

I like my Vista. The 76S wasn't introduced when I bought the Vista, but I would have chosen the Vista again, due to its physical size. I use it a lot while walking and running.

On a boat, I think the 76 is better, since a larger display is easier to read when not holding it in your hand.

Anders

Have had the Vista for almost 2 years. Works fine. Sensitivity a bit weak in tree cover. Click Stick went south at just under a year. Sent it to Garmin for repair and had it back in a week, no charge, great service. Screen too small, i need my reading glasses while using it. Would go with the 76s next time

Thanks for the replies. Anders! I remember your fervor for the Vista from the past year and a half's posts. I'm pretty sure that's the way I want to go. I'm more of a hiker and mountain biker than a boater, and my MAP 330 is a helix-antenna-based unit, and has a screen large enough to see when held vertically--which it the way it is designed to be held, anyway.

The 76S is still in the running, however. Oh, and it's screen is tough, and sharp as a tack!

Bye for now, more later.

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

We have a 76s and are very pleased with it. The biggest advantages over the Vista are: the external antenna port (for use in airplane /car/boat), the big screen (same reason) and the “next street” feature. I don’t think the Vista has the “next street” feature. It’s very helpful when navigating by car or motorcycle in unfamiliar city streets.

The 76S will have better reception under tree cover but the Vista will do almost as well

You need an external anteana to have a real upgrade in tree cover performance.

A friend saw the 76S and while it's feature set is impressive you have to live with the size. He didn't feel a need to move beyond his Vista.

So where I choosing today between the two (I'd still go with a GPS V) I'd have to take into account the size of the one vs. the other vs. the 76S's better button arrangment. It would actually be a hard decision.

Thanks for the replies, all. I've decided that, since I'm primarily going to be using the gpsr for hiking and mountain biking, the weight-to-features argument has won out:

I'm buying the Etrex Vista. I already own the Magellan MAP 330 (a gpsr that I will never sell or part with), with a three-suction-cup power/data mount for my vehicle, and have MapSend Streets and MapSend Topo.

The Vista's size, weight, active compass and barometric altimeter, 24MB map capacity, and reputation for working well in colder temperatures--as well as not sporting a huge profile on my belt--and your comments, were all contributing factors.

The vista and the MapSource Topo CD-ROM can be had for somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 dollars, and perhaps a little less in some places, so this is a good price point for me.

I thank you all for you comments. I have decided: I am getting the Vista. icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.