Satellite glitch?

I was in open air, traveling the GSP - or in a big parking lot... nice clear view of the sky, standing still , or moving - made no difference. it seemed to do it more frequently when traveling north or east, and not so much traveling south. a few times, after it reacquired the satellites, my fix shifted significantly - far enough that i couldn't figure out where the he*# i was according to the GPS. It has not done it since.. this was yesterday late afternoon that I saw this. I was neat AC international airport - within 20 miles of it when it seemed to be happening the most.

I have a Garmin V I use while driving and now caching (since I lost my garmin venture) and I also use an external antenna in the car. Most of the time I have 8 - 12 sats and then I'll hear it beep and tell me it lost reception. I don't know whether to blame the sats, the receiver or some unknown element around me, but it can get annoying, especially if I am trying to follow a route it has calculated for me.

I have noticed that while caching, it is very finnicky about the way you hold it, but in the car with an amplified external antenna??

I have 2 of these antennas, 1 stays mounted to my vehicle and the other I transfer from vehicle to vehicle when I am a passenger and it happens with both.

Maybe this use to happen with my venture as well but because it never beeped, I never noticed.

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

I have a Garmin V I use while driving and now caching (since I lost my garmin venture) and I also use an external antenna in the car. Most of the time I have 8 - 12 sats and then I'll hear it beep and tell me it lost reception. I don't know whether to blame the sats, the receiver or some unknown element around me, but it can get annoying, especially if I am trying to follow a route it has calculated for me.

I have noticed that while caching, it is very finnicky about the way you hold it, but in the car with an amplified external antenna??

I have 2 of these antennas, 1 stays mounted to my vehicle and the other I transfer from vehicle to vehicle when I am a passenger and it happens with both.

Maybe this use to happen with my venture as well but because it never beeped, I never noticed.

Kar

http://www.teamshibby.com

Krs, Kar & Na

I don't have the V, or even a GPSr that allows external anntennas. But it mighty be a lose connection, and you loose all sats when it comes undone every once in a while.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
I don't have the V, or even a GPSr that allows external anntennas. But it mighty be a lose connection, and you loose all sats when it comes undone every once in a while.

Wyatt W.

Well it is something to look into, however they are both brand new antennas, so what is the possibility of them both having a loose connection? Come to think of it, it also happens from time to time with the factory antenna. Im willing chalk it up to "some other element" but I will keep a closer eye on what could be in the general vicinity when it happens icon_wink.gif

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

OK.. this is funky.... i just downloaded the track points into my mapsend streets... when the "glitch" occurred, it had me all over the map.... as far away as 3 miles from my actual location. each time it would reacquire, it would jump, then after about 10 seconds it would jump back to my actual location. i saved the file if anyone is interested in looking at it.... its a .trk file (from mapsend streets)

I seen what you were describing but since i was new at using a gps (sportrac pro) i figured it was normal i downloaded the tracking and it was all over on the same day in illinois but it seams to be ok today found 4 cache's today all were within 20 ft of the cordinates i got off of here i was picking up waas and 8 sats