Newbie Question

Guest Kozachenko

Guest GPSteve

It's all a matter of how big the maps are. The only software that can be used to download maps to a Garmin GPS are Garmin's own MapSource series. With MapSource, you create what is called a map set. As you create the map set, MapSource displays the total size of the map set and when it approaches 24 MB you're maxed out for a 24 MB unit (eTrex Vista).

Map Sets can contain any sections of map that make-up the particular version of MapSource that you purchase. I have Roads and Recreation and tend to create map sets by selecting counties.

Regards,

GPSteve

Guest Kozachenko

Good gravey batman!!!

SO does that mean that if I'm in any given state, that there will be times I have to crank up the laptop and create sets according to my travel needs every so often while in any given state?

Remember I'm totally new to all of this and I appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

Koz

Here are two examples of MapSource R&R.

Last summer I went from Houston,TX to San Jose, CA (1800 miles), and returned via a different route (2900 miles). I stored the maps for the entire route in my eTrex Vista before I left.

A few weeks ago I went to New England where I planed to do some geocaching. I stored a complete set of maps for ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, and CT, plus all of the Houston area, and still had about 4MB free.

Metropolitan areas use memory much faster than rural areas.

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by Kozachenko:

SO does that mean that if I'm in any given state, that there will be times I have to crank up the laptop and create sets according to my travel needs every so often while in any given state?

Koz

It depends on what kinds of MapSource maps you're using. I'm using MetroGuide, and I have an 8MB data cartridge in my eMap.

MetroGuide maps take up a fair amount of space, since in addition to detailed roads, they include gas stations, restaurants, attractions, etc.

My 8MB card holds the whole San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose area. That's about 2000 square miles holding about eight million people. Los Angeles takes about 13MB by itself (in other words, I can't fit all of Los Angeles into my eMap, I'd have to pick particular bits of it). On the other hand, less dense areas take less memory: the whole state of Nevada is 9MB. Closer to home for you, the whole south shore of Lake Ontario, going about fifteen miles inland and including Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse takes about 3MB.

24MB is a fair bit of space. Unless you do a lot of travelling, you might find that you can fit your hometown area plus a couple of other frequently-visited cities, and you wouldn't be spending a lot of time working the laptop. And the Vista isn't useless between mapped areas -- it has a low-res basemap built-in.