Magellan Meridian Vehicle mount suggestions?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully I'm not repeating an old topic....

I know this discussion forum is focused on Geocaching, but I'm sure some of you out there may have an opinion on this...

After a great deal of reading on several websites, I think I have made up my mind to go for a Magellan Meridian Gold. They currently have a bundle here in Canada which includes the Canadian map CD and a 16MB Secure Digital card for a mere $15 more than the base Meridian Gold price, so this seems like the best deal around when compared with the current mail-in-rebate promotion.

I have never gone geocaching before, but after learning about it from this website, I am keen to get started, so I will be buying a GPS unit for two purposes - geocaching and driving directions... which finally leads to my question...

Do any of you experienced users out there have any opinions on what kind of a mount I should buy for my vehicle? I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder... from what I can see, the dash velcro mounted mount is about half the price of the windshield suction-cup version. To me, it shouldn't really matter that much, and I figure I'm leaning towards the cheaper dash mount version...

Do any of you have an opinion on which was is better?

I look forward to your responses...

Thanks,

Kevin.

p.s. I was primarily looking at the Magellan mounts, but wouldn't limit myself to it.... the website I will probably buy my GPS from also sells the RAM mounts - are they superior?

Being able to clip in and out without screwing a power cable in is a manditory feature in my book. The suction cup windshield mount that Magellan makes is pretty good, but it does fall off periodically. I haven't figured out a better way to mount it though. Maybe I could superglue the suction cups to the windshield. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Being able to clip in and out without screwing a power cable in is a manditory feature in my book. The suction cup windshield mount that Magellan makes is pretty good, but it does fall off periodically.

Regarding the cradle, I agree. The Magellan cradle is easier to use and more convenient. To remedy this, I plan to modify my Magellan mount to fit the RAM (I've been lazy about doing it, though).

As far as the suction cups--I never had a problem with the Magellan mount falling off. What I did have a problem with is that no matter how I mounted it, the GPS wasn't very stable, at least to my standards. It'd stay in one place, but it jiggled and vibrated and I couldn't press the buttons without holding the unit steady. With the RAM, it's like it's in concrete. It's not going anywhere, ever.

Jamie

I ended up using the Magellan swivel cradle. The trouble was that after I got it, I found that it would not fit on the dash of my Toyota Tacoma because it was too tall and conflicted with the windshield. So, I built a small "shelf" for it that is secured to the dash. It does vibrate some when I am off-roading, but I am going to add a brace to the underside of the shelf-mount to prevent that. Overall I love it because it does fit the power cable so it powers up the GPS as soon as I snap it into the cradle. It's also at a perfect elevation and location for me, so that it is as easy to glance at the GPS as it is to glance at my speedometer. The centrally located swivel also is cool for when the co-pilot wants to play with it or enter stuff on the fly.

http://www.bajataco.com/cockpit/dash-view01.jpg

The gauge you see below the GPS is a clinometer, to tell me how badly my truck is tipped sideways icon_biggrin.gif

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

quote:
Originally posted by dtrayers:

Here are two photos of the Magellan mount in my Subaru. I have it positioned such that the bottom of the mount rests against the dashboard. Most of the weight is supported from the dash and it prevents vibration and provides support when I press the buttons.

While I realize this works for you, this demonstrates exactly why I don't like the Magellan unit. Why should it have to rest on the dash? Even when mine was resting in the dash, there was some "play." It would wiggle and rotate just enough to annoy me.

Also.. one suggestion. I had my mount attached the same way you do. In the forums, someone suggested turning it upside down.. that is make it so support arm comes straight down. When I changed the orientation of mine, the mount seemed to work much better, but still not to my liking, thus my purchase of a RAM mount, which doesn't depend on the dash for support, and is much more solid.

Jamie

I was going to buy a GPS mount, but I noticed that my Meridian fit nicely in the cup holder. I can tilt it just right to see it easily, and it is not in the way in the window. It is about a foot off of the floor (about the top of a floor shifter height), but it still gets great reception down there. The only problem is that I don't have any way to plug it in yet, so it's running on AA battery power.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Also.. one suggestion. I had my mount attached the same way you do. In the forums, someone suggested turning it upside down.. that is make it so support arm comes straight down. Jamie

I agree Jamie, it really depends on the vehicle. I did try it as you suggest, but in my small car, I found that the arm interfered too much with the view out the windscreen.

I did use my MeriGold in my brother-in-law's Silverado truck for a few weeks and I had to change the configuration there. I was able to mount it on the left side of the dash near the A-pillar.

I have one concern about the Meridian mount. I used to use a Passport radar detector and that windshield mount used suction cups like the Meridian mount. After a while, UV rays and heat broke down the suction cups. With the Passport mount, there was a slot like a keyhole so you could change out the suction cup. There is no provision for that with the Meridian mount, so it's just a matter of time until the suction cups loose their "suc" and then I think I'll have to get new mount.

Does the RAM mount have replaceable suction cups?

- Dave.

quote:
Originally posted by dtrayers:

Does the RAM mount have replaceable suction cups?

Yes, pretty much all RAM parts are interchangable and sold separately. The downside of that is that is can be very confusing as to which parts you need, because there are so many.

Oh yeah.. if your RAM suction cup ever fails? Lifetime warranty.

Oh.. by the way, I was born and grew up in Farmington.

Jamie

It is I whom hangs the mount straight down. Seems to work for me pretty well.

Mounts.

As for the suction cup replacement, they are replaceable (they weren't just molded in with the flange, ya know...). Just have to squeeze the new one through the hole. Since the old one is old, why worry--just cut the cup off with side-cutters. As for whether Magellan will sell us new cups...?

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on March 29, 2003 at 09:28 AM.]

im currently designing/testing a mount system for the magellan family of gps units. i currently have several prototypes that have been in use for the last 6-8 months. my mounting system is modular in so much as it can be readily adapted for atv, vehicle or bicycle use, or anything else for that matter.

my idea when i started this was to make the system durable, unobtrusive and flexible. i found that most manufacturer supplied mount systems werent durable and most aftermarket systems either werent flexible, were obtrusive, or required permanant mounting, so i designed my own to remedy these short comings.

if you are looking for ideas i could lend some assistance as to what works and what doesnt, if you want.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I received my new Meridian Gold yesterday along with the mount I finally decided on... In the end, I changed my philosophy altogether! I started out leaning towards a Magellan dash mount... I ended up buying the RAM 4" suction cup unit. I must say, I'm VERY impressed with the build quality. I was slightly concerned about the point some of you made about the 12V power cable, but when I thought about it, I won't be interchanging rapidly - it will either be alot of driving, or alot of hiking, so the inconvenience of the power cord should not really be an issue for me.

So, from one brief drive, the 4" suction cup mount is rock solid - well worth the extra $$$'s over the dash mounted Magellan mount that I was considering... (of course I haven't seen the Magellan...)

Thanks again,

Kevin.

For those with the 4" RAM mount, how are you keeping the suction cup from detaching from the windshield? Mine seems to fall off every couple of weeks, even without the GPS in it. I really love the mount tho, extremely sturdy & stable. I can use it while driving without it moving. Just dislike how it is always coming off the window. Gotta be something different I can do.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.hoomdorm:

For those with the 4" RAM mount, how are you keeping the suction cup from detaching from the windshield? Mine seems to fall off every couple of weeks,

Hmmm.. well, I don't leave my mount in my vehicle, so I'm daily taking it off and putting it back on. A few times in cold weather, the mount has fallen off.

A few weeks ago I took a long roadtrip, so in order to make sure it stayed on, I wet the suction cup before I mounted it. It stayed attached for the next couple of days before I purposely removed it.

So for my needs, the twice or three times its come off hasn't been an issue to me... but if I really wanted it to stick, I'd give my windshield a good cleaning and then wet the cup before mounting. That should hold it.

Jamie

I really like the ability to come straight off the trail and clip into the powered suction mount for road use. I have an F-350 and haven't had a "fall-off" incident yet. There is only a slight trade-off in visibility for this convienence. icon_smile.gif

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

quote:
Originally posted by kevinsteeves:

I was slightly concerned about the point some of you made about the 12V power cable, but when I thought about it, I won't be interchanging rapidly - it will either be alot of driving, or alot of hiking, so the inconvenience of the power cord should not really be an issue for me.

I ended up getting both of them. I wanted a holder that I could use with car, bike, and kayak, and the modularity of the RAM was the selling point here. I also wasn't too concerned about the ease of power cable attachment, since when I'm caching I'm in and out of the car so much that it's easier to stay on batteries and wedge the GPSr into a reasonably stable spot on the dash...I only use the mount for long hauls.

But screwing and unscrewing the data cable was a growing PITA. I thought long and hard about modifying the RAM mount to hold the cable like the Magellan mount does, but I couldn't think of a way that gave me enough confidence that it would work. I bought the Magellan swivel mount to leave on my desk, and I'm glad to have done it. It does what I want very well. At $15 it's not pushing the cost envelope too much for a solution to this particular problem. With all the button pushing that file management on the Meridian can entail, the swivel mount gives a nice platform to work with...it also lets me adjust the angle so my desklamp illuminates the screen for easy viewing.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by Dirtnapper:

If the cup is not holding...try a little bit of veggitable oil; just a drop and rub it in...should do it.

For those interested, in the field veggie oil may be hard to find. The oil from the side of the nose is usually available and works well. We use this method at work when sliding small-diameter flexible tubing onto nipple fittings for use in vacuum(low pressure) applications.

I believe the reason this works for suction cups is that the oil displaces gas molecules from the cup surface and forms a seal at the cup edge, where if one looked closely enough, you would not find it very smooth. The oil helps seal the rough, porous surface (some of you engineering types jump in if you have more details).

don

Here's a pic of the mount I have for my Meridian GPS. It has a toggle switch super suction cup and comes with a screw on mounting plate and sticker mount plate. Works with the power cord attached also. It holds tight with no problems. This is a universal auto cellular holder with adjustable width. If your interested in these I can get them alot cheaper than $40.00

GPS-holder.gif

[This message was edited by Duaut on April 07, 2003 at 10:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Duaut on April 07, 2003 at 10:08 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Duaut:

Here's a pic of the mount I have for my Meridian GPS. It has a toggle switch super suction cup and comes with a screw on mounting plate and sticker mount plate. Works with the power cord attached also. It holds tight with no problems. This is a universal auto cellular holder with adjustable width. If your interested in these I can get them alot cheaper than $40.00

http://www.duaut.com/geocache/GPS-holder.gif

[This message was edited by Duaut on April 07, 2003 at 10:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Duaut on April 07, 2003 at 10:08 PM.]

That kind of looks like the suction cup mount for my navman GPSr. It holds strong, but if I leave it attached for a little while it will fall (which sucks if it happens when my ipaq is in it, and more so if I am driving). I have better luck with the meridian cradle, and have not had it fall yet; I think the 3 cups gives it some redundancy.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

I think the 3 cups gives it some redundancy.

Wyatt W.

I don't know where you see 3 cups?

There is only 1 suction cup, and it's a very strong attachment device and has never fallen off or come off yet while in rough use. Still it is a better deal than what I've seen in the stores and on the web. Only $15.00US. What do you want to know about it?

THE SECRET TO SUCTION CUPS!

A few people have commented that their suction-cup windshields mounts don't stay put.

The trick is to wet the glass, not the suction cup. Use a lot of water.

I dunno why this works, but it sure made a difference with mine. Try it and let me know how it works for you.