Meridian "Blue Spots"

Stunod

Someone had claimed that the blue spots were due to humidity/condensation. If you're reluctant to send it back in, Jamie, I'm wondering if it would be worth a try to open the battery compartment and put the unit in a warm (not hot...maybe 100-125 degrees F) oven for a while to see if thoroughly drying it out helps.

I spoke to Magellan about this when it was a common problem, and they told me it was due to contamination on an assembly line. I think it was oils from the hands of assembly line workers getting on the display during it's assembly (the display, not the GPS). Magellan was changing suppliers (or the supplier was changing proceedures) to avoid the problem in the future.

I can tell you now that the blue spots are moisture, and if you pull the display out and carefully pry the wedges open a little and then use a blow dryer on it for a few minutes the blue spots disappear. The bad news is this is not a permanent fix and the spots may come back. Im currently in the tropics and have huge blue spots, so Im considering trying to seal the display with some tape(after drying the display again). I can also tell you that the spots can grow bigger, mine had small spots appear one night and after a few weeks they were almost covering the screen

Blue spots - contamination - process problem - drying out display doesn't remove the contamination, it just makes the spot go away.... until it gets moisture again.

Unless you're planning on hermitically sealing the GPS, I don't think you can keep the moisuture out. That's a lot of work when Magellan seems to be willing to replace units for no charge. Some folks are saying the new displays are different as well.

Well, I posted last year on this thread that my Merigreen was fine....

Well, aboot a month ago, I noticed I had a light colored area across the top of the screen, down the right side, and bottome left corner...

Its funny, that pic up above of the spots is different than mine...

My whole screen is the solid blue color of the smudges, and just the top of the screen & down the sides are the noticably lighter color...

The line across the top, almost looks like burn-in or something...Its the same thickness as the dark heading bar on the compass screen....very noticable on the map screen...

I sent it AND my Sportrak Map in last week...they are supposed to hit my door UPS on Wed....

My Merigreen was aboot a week or two away from the warranty running out...

My Sportrak was three days from running out of warranty when I called aboot the case cracks it had...

It will be interesting to see if they repaired or replaced the units....