Trying to choose my first GPSr - Garmin GPS 72 looks good

Hi All,

I'm new to geocaching and have been borrowing my friend's Garmin GPS 12XL but have decided that I want to buy a unit of my own. My shortlist has come down to a GPS 12 (older but rugged, reliable, good battery life and not too expensive), an eTREX Venture (nice but small display, flimsy battery contacts and performance under trees seems to be suspect) or a GPS 72 (Quad Helix antenna, WAAS, wide range of external power voltages, cheaper than the Venture, reasonable battery life). The 72 is a new model so there's not a lot of feedback around yet but does anyone have any comments, good or bad about this model ? I like the GPS 12 but am concened about buying an out-dated model when the 72 seems to be Garmin's replacement for it and for not much more money.

Decisions, decisions !!!

I had the garmin 12 but returned it to purchase a magelan sportrac map but not because the garmin 12 was bad. Its a great GPS andis almost always reliable. I just wanted the new magellan because of the new user friendly interface. I would recommend that if you are looking for a GPS in that price range, purchase the magellan sportrac. It is WASS enabled and easy to use

Stacy

Keep in mind that the 12 series takes 4 AA batteries while the Venture and GPS 72 take only 2 AA batteries. So for battery life the 12 series is out of the question. The 12 series is very old - avoid it.

Basically if you want tide prediction, alarms, and direct connections to an aux power system - pick the GPS 72.

If you want a high resolution display, small package, and calendar functions then pick the Venture.

I think you'll be happier saving a few more dollars and getting the Legend or GPSmap 76.

I have the 72, my dad has the 76 and my brother has the GPSMAP76s. all are excellent units. The Mapping on my brothers is nice, but I have yet to really find a need for it. I use a laptop running mapping software to get me close anyway, so the extra money was better spent elsewhere. The 76 and 72 are identical except that the 76 has an external antenna jack (didn't need that, it locks up fine inside my truck with out it) The 76 also says it has a higher resolution screen, but holding both side by side, there isn't a whole lot of difference under most circumstances.

I am 100% happy with the 72. If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I might buy one with the mapping, but I am not much for geewhiz gadgetry, I would rather have a good reliable unit that does what I need without lots of bells and whistles. Save the extra money for gas. Your gonna need it.....

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

Thanks for the feedback. I called into a local chandlery and looked at the GPS72 yesterday and was impressed so I ordered one online today. It's pretty big compared to other GPS's but that doesn't bother me too much as I'd rather not struggle trying to read tiny text and icons like the eTrex Venture that I borrowed. Should arrive tomorrow but I'm not allowed to use till next weekend as it's a birthday present from the family!