Version(s) of Mapsend Topo?

PGBound

Is there more than one version of Mapsend Topo? I am going to buy a Meridian Platinum and want to get Topo but am finding prices that range from $69.99 (Amazon) to $149.99 (full retail from Magellan). As with hardware, I know that there can be price differences from various retailers for software, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying and older version.

---

Use the product, then place a review.

Wyatt W.

---

For people with spare cash to burn that is fine, but I on the other hand do not have that luxury. I have been saving up for one of these for two years and somehow through all my reading I failed to see the downside of the software.

I wished I could be one of you users who has a sporttrak pro, V, legend...blah blah blah...and afford to place reviews.

quote:
Originally posted by Doggus:

for two years and somehow through all my reading I failed to see the downside of the software.

I wished I could be one of you users who has a sporttrak pro, V, legend...blah blah blah...and afford to place reviews.

All of the mapping software, for all GPS recievers have downsides.

There is no way to write and update the map info for the entire country and not have errors.

Since the software for any of the recievers is no better than the others, the features and functions of the reciever should be the reason you buy it.

leathermanani.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I have a MeriPlat and use Mapsend Topo. I live in the Colorado Springs area and I've found the maps to be extremely accurate and helpful.

Some of the newest roads are missing, but they seem to be missing on other things as well.

For the $79 that I paid for it, I am well satisfied that I got my money's worth. I just wish there was a $200+ alternative with more detailed maps and trails.

I also use ExpertGPS (www.expertgps.com) to get aerial photos and usgs topos, but many times I need to go back to Mapsend for more details or accuracy.

I have version 3.00A purchased this summer. Map Send Streets is just streets. Map Send Topo (as in topography) includes streets. That could be the price confusion you are seeing.

I have no major complaints with my software or Platinum. I bought mine from www.thegpsstore.com and they have been good to work with when I had a warranty problem.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

Actually, there is at least two different versions of MapSend Topo.

The Scott-mentioned 3.00a, and then the "fixed" 3.00b.

Scott, try to zoom in on Memphis. You'll see why they had to fix it.

I had to go through quite a hassle to get a copy of 3.00b, but Thales got it to me eventually, and now I'm happy.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Actually, there _is_ at least two different versions of MapSend Topo.

The Scott-mentioned 3.00a, and then the "fixed" 3.00b.

Scott, try to zoom in on Memphis. You'll see why they had to fix it.

I had to go through quite a hassle to get a copy of 3.00b, but Thales got it to me eventually, and now I'm happy.

Jamie

i have the A version. i zoooooomed in on memphis. what am i looking for?

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I'll be interested to see what version I receive from Amazon (unfortunately, I won't be able to find out until Christmas)? Amazon seemed to have one of the more reasonable prices.

Jamie, did you originally have verson "A?" If so, how did you go about getting the updated version from Thales?

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

I noticed that National Geographics State TOPO maps are supposed to be downloadable on most of the GPSr units now. I use these in the printed version. Has anyone tried to download these maps? How well do they work?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but only the Magellan MapSend Streets *or* Topo are downloadable to the Meridians. You can download waypoints and routes from NG topos; you can upload tracks and stuff to NG, but you cannot download maps into the GPSr unless it is MapSend flavor.

Don't get even - get odd

quote:

i have the A version. i zoooooomed in on memphis. what am i looking for?

I don't think all A's are broken, or even that all B's are safe for that matter. Zoom in on (at least) Little Rock, AR. If you see street detail, you're OK. If not, Thales will replace your Mapsend Topo CD with one that works if you ask them to. As I remember it, JamieZ had a bit of problem getting one out of a bad tech support person. Several other have had no problem.

There was a big hole of bad data (or bad run of the CDs) that extends up from the very tip-top of Louisiana up to, well, at least Little Rock and Memphis. If you tried to make a map in containing one iota of this bad data, Mapsend would crash horribly.

alex

Alex pretty much covers everything.

When the Meridians were all the rage, Mapsend was known the have an issue displaying street-level maps of the Memphis to Little Rock area.

Of course, I live in Memphis... so this was an issue. I contacted Thales who immedietely sent me a new copy. A copy that did the exact same thing. So I called again... this time, they sent me another copy, literally. I got a CD-R with a Mapsend sticker on it.

I was a bit peeved about the "unprofessional" product I got.. but I installed in on my comp, and put it away. I haven't looked at the disc since... so I don't even think about it any more.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Alex pretty much covers everything.

When the Meridians were all the rage, Mapsend was known the have an issue displaying street-level maps of the Memphis to Little Rock area.

Of course, I live in Memphis... so this was an issue. I contacted Thales who immedietely sent me a new copy. A copy that did the exact same thing. So I called again... this time, they sent me another copy, literally. I got a CD-R with a Mapsend sticker on it.

I was a bit peeved about the "unprofessional" product I got.. but I installed in on my comp, and put it away. I haven't looked at the disc since... so I don't even think about it any more.

Jamie

i think that sucks

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

i'm looking at buying a magellan sportrak map gpsr. if i buy the mapsend topo from amazon for $69.99 with free shipping and $50 rebate from magellan, i don't care how accurate the mapsend topo is, for $20 bucks, it's a steal especially when the magellan website wants $149 for the same software which is a totatlly stupid, who would pay $149 for the mapsend topo when it's not that accurate??

Curious...where did you hear about both having to be purchased from the same place, I have read the rebate (thoroughly I thought) and can't find any stipulation about that. I hope your mistaken because I bought my Magellan from Harmony and the Mapsend topo locally.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

the rebate coupon only requires original receipt and UPC bar code. now i read on amazon.com website that their stipulation is that the gpsr and cd rom must be purchased at the same time.

i think this is ploy by amazon to get more business, i don't believe that the software and hardware must be purchased together.

the original rebate pdf file from magellan does not say anything about the unit being purchased at the same time.

i'm emailing magellan right now and asking them to clarify the situation.

If it is true Magellan is going to have some explaining to do icon_mad.gif, they have been offering this rebate for months and never before mentioned it....Like some others, I suspect this is to make us buy everything from the same dealer, I don't think Magellan is going to change the deal in the last month before Christmas...we will see.....

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

FWIW, I distinctly remember someone posting here (around early autumn) that he/she had talked directly to Magellan and confirmed that the products did not have to be purchased at the same time or at the same place, just within the rebate period.

I tried looking for the post but I couldn't find it easily enough so I gave up (kinda like my cache searches icon_biggrin.gif)

Don't get even - get odd

quote:
Originally posted by JetSkier:

Does the 3.00b allow you to upload to a card reader like the Streets and Destinations does? When you select upload to GPS... (on Streets & Dest) you get a dialogue box with options 1) To GPS, 2) To Card Reader or 3) To Disk File.

No, the version of mapsend that does that is 4.00 and probaly above.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.