Garmin GPS V: projecting a waypoint in feet/meters

Currently, the smallest unit possible for projecting waypoints on the GPS V is 0.1 mi. or km. (Garmin says this is because the unit was designed/intended primarily for road use.) Unless/until Garmin decides to upgrade the firmware to allow smaller units of measure, here is a relatively easy workaround:

On the map page, scroll to the reference point from which you want to project your waypoint.Momentarily press the enter button to create a waypoint at that spot and press enter again to accept it.Press the menu button and select "Measure Distance".Press the enter button to change your distance measuring reference point to your new waypoint.Use the rocker button to move the cursor the distance and bearing you desire from your reference point. It will display feet/meters as long as you scroll <0.1 mi/km from your reference point.Once you've scrolled to your desired location, press the menu button and select "Stop Measure Distance".Momentarily press the enter button to create your projected waypoint. Rename it or change the icon if you want and press enter one last time to confirm it.

You can also use this method repeatedly to "leap frog" greater distances along a bearing while continuing to measure in feet/meters.

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on February 04, 2003 at 07:50 PM.]

Nice tip. I tried it today, but ran into a little problem. Whilst using the distance function, the display shows only the crude 8-point compass bearing. I needed something more accurate.

My solution was to project the first waypoint using the precise bearing and a distance of .1 mile. I then created a route between the first waypoint and the projected waypoint. This gave me a line on my map page with the exact bearing. Now I was able to follow your technique by measuring off my distance along the route line.

Not quite as simple, but more accurate when needed.

quote:
Originally posted by eahousley:

...the display shows only the crude 8-point compass bearing. I needed something more accurate...

Try this:On the setup page, scroll to the "Units" tabThe "Heading display" box is probably showing "Cardinal Letters". Change it to "Degrees" and that should fix it.

Worldtraveler

I use the rocker button to put the pointer on the map at the point I want to project from, and hold enter to make a new waypoint. On the "mark waypoint" page I click map. (note the waypoint name first) Click enter and move will come up next to the waypoint. Use the rocker to move to the correct distance and bearing you desire. Click enter to save the waypoint at the projected point.

A short time ago I created a MS-Excel spreadsheet to compute the lat/lon of a third location from two known locations and the courses to the third location from each known location.

The Intersecting_radials.xls spreadsheet is located here.

With a little modification, the MS-Excel spreadsheet can be used to project a waypoint a given distance from two known waypoints.

The spreadsheet can be copied and modified as desired... (It is virus and macro free.)

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

paul_stratton

And to think that I once had trouble finding my own "@@@" with both hands...

quote:
Originally posted by Bob K.:

As of 3Mar03, the new GPS V beta 2.12 allows you to choose the "project waypoint" measurement units.

But HOW? I can't seem to enable it... Not on the Project Waypoint window itself, not by pressing Menu there, not in the Setup. icon_confused.gif

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org