Palm/GPS compatiblity

Guest Stephen

Guest Stephen

I've got a Garmin 12 and a Palm Vx. My wife gave me the DeLorme TopoUSA complete topo map set on CDROM (for the entire US) for Christmas. I have a cable to plug my Garmin into the serial port on my laptop, and running the TopoUSA software while tracking with the GPS in a car is really cool. But naturally I can't lug the laptop around the sticks. I think I can load selected maps from my laptop on to the Palm via the Hotsync cable, but I can't find a cable to connect my Palm to the GPS. Can anyone recommend a vendor who would sell that cable? Is there someone familiar with my mapping software who knows if (and how) the Palm will support TopoUSA maps? The software is great, but there's very little documentation which would explain any of this. Thanks.

Guest swangner

If you've got a cable that runs between the Garmin unit and a laptop already (which you say you have), here's what you'll need:

1. Palm Hotsync Cable (will plug into the Palm serial port, and the other end will be a standard PC serial connector)

2. Null modem adapter (you can find at any Radio Shack or similar store)

Then you need to hook them up like this:

(Garmin)-->(Garmin-to-PC-cable)-->(Null Modem Adapter)-->(Palm Hotsync Cable)-->(Palm)

[This message has been edited by swangner (edited 02-14-2001).]

I tried getting some Pplugs not too long ago. Sent in my pledge to a Pfrank, waited a Pfew months, and never saw a Pfreaking thing. I think some of the Pfranks are a little Pflaky.

Scott