Etrex under tree cover

The orientation of the Mag unit's antenna pretty much nullifies whatever slight advantage their antenna might have. To navigate while walking, most people will hold the unit like a compass - horizontally. This is the optimal operating position for the eTrex - but is a full 90° off the Mag's optimal position. Of course, you can do the "mummy walk", holding the unit straight out at eye level. It's good for a few laughs.

3608_2800.gif

I use A garmin GPS V and a Garmin GPS 76... both have a Q helix antenna...but the V by far works better under the cover... I rigged up a system on my hiking staff with the 76 and an amplified external antenna... battery drain is a lil faster but I have much better signal anywhere... and when it is unnecessary I can just unplug it and the unit uses its built in antenna.

Wow, I thought the Vista was an Etrex. I didn't realize it wasn't an Etrex. icon_wink.gif

Before owning my own GPS, I really had my sights set on the vista. After trying a friends Etrex Yellow in some dense woods trying to find a geocache I was disgusted with it. I was wandering around off the trail just trying to get in a clear spot so it could see through the trees. I'm sure you can relate bamboozle. My other friend that was with me (not the owner of it) said that if this is how bad GPSr's are he doesn't want one. I bought a mag 315 from my sister because she never used it and didn't want it. I thought I might be able to get some fun out of it. Well, after going through some dense woods with it I realized the signal loss was just an Etrex problem.

ESFKids, My Platinum does great in the trees, but I think my 315 does a little better. Sounds like your experience with the V and 76. The bigger antennas doing better.

Bamboozle, if you're having trouble in the trees, just make sure your next one has the quad. Garmin or Magellan. If you know anyone with a quad antenna GPSr, see if they'll take it out with you so you can compare them for yourself.

I took my V and my Meridian out on a comparitive caching trip last weekend. I placed each on the ground when it zeroed out on the coordinates and then searched for the cache. in 5 out of 7 caches, the V was substantially closer to the cache - these were in clear terrain and light to medium tree cover. In dense tree cover, the Meridian got closer. Underneath a railroad viaduct, the V lost it altogether whilst the Meridian got me somewhere close to the cache. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

...besides the antenna.

For example, the Meridians have the ability to average, so this would make it look like there is less "jumping around" at the expense of responsiveness. I've heard of serveral folks complaining about "overshooting" a cache because of this feature.

I wouldn't judge the abilities of an antenna based on what a particular unit displays...it's very easy to tweak the software to make it look more "stable" or more "sensitive".

Also, different antennas types work better with different sat configurations. IIRC, the quads do better at seeing sats close to the horizon, and the patches better at seeing overhead. Which is best? It all depends where the sats happen to be at the time.

George

I was searching pricewatch and here is what I came up with

Magellan Meridian Platinum part# 98059803 Meridian Platinum Premier GPS Handheld Receiver w/16MB Memory Price: $ 257

MinOrder: 1

Ship 1 : FREE GROUND

Updated:1/14, 4:39 PM

$257.00

and for mapsend the maps aand destinations, (980613-01), for $70

and then take $75 off hmmmm both for about $260 and free ship....

Anyone come up with a better price???

Cycyclist

bicycle, recycle, re-create or recreate ... your choice. Hey, do em all

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

...besides the antenna.

For example, the Meridians have the ability to average, so this would make it look like there is less "jumping around" at the expense of responsiveness. I've heard of serveral folks complaining about "overshooting" a cache because of this feature.

I wouldn't judge the abilities of an antenna based on what a particular unit displays...it's very easy to tweak the software to make it look more "stable" or more "sensitive".

Also, different antennas types work better with different sat configurations. IIRC, the quads do better at seeing sats close to the horizon, and the patches better at seeing overhead. Which is best? It all depends where the sats happen to be at the time.

George

I thought I'd add to your note:

My cache parterns use the Sport Trac's and their software does make it look more stable. My GPS V tells me every single time there is a glitch in reception. The Sport Trac doesn't, it just gives you it's best guess. At first we thought maybe the Sport Trac was better at coverage. Then we figured out that really it's not but the software kept plugging along hoping for a new signal.

Also the oversooting problem is real. I've had it help out once when I was on the wrong side of a cliff. Other than that it's just a "Magellan" thing and you get used to it.

Wherever you go there you are.