Using a GPS in flight?

Guest ewoertz

Guest ewoertz

Greetings!

Does anyone know if you may use a GPS on a commercial flight? Some electronic devices are allowed, but others aren't. It would be interesting to track distance, ETA, speed, etc. during a long flight.

Thanks,

Erick

It sort of a crap-shoot. Some airlines do icon_smile.gif some don't. icon_frown.gif Some airline leave it up to the pilot to determine. I have used my on many flights. I have never had a problem on Continental or Southwest. I have been question on and American but was allowed to use it after the stewtess asked the pilot. As with all electronic you are not allowed to use it durning take off and landing but at cruise most will let you.

A little tip I found usefull is first off get a window seat. Without a window see your pretty much sunk the aluminum fusalage blocks satellite signal. Next while still on the ground before they close the door and make you turn of your cell phone turn on your GPS and get a lock from you seat. Make sure you hold the antenna up to the window near the bottom. This gives it the best view of the sky. Then when you turn it back on in the air it will already have the almanac data from some of the satellites. If you are luck you will still be able to see some of these satellites in the air and you will lock on much quicker. I don't have one but I have heard other say that they take there remote antenna and put it under the little blind on the window. This is suppost to work real well and let you set you GPS on the tray so you don't have to hold it up to the window.

Good luck.

mcb

It sort of a crap-shoot. Some airlines do icon_smile.gif some don't. icon_frown.gif Some airline leave it up to the pilot to determine. I have used my on many flights. I have never had a problem on Continental or Southwest. I have been question on and American but was allowed to use it after the stewtess asked the pilot. As with all electronic you are not allowed to use it durning take off and landing but at cruise most will let you.

A little tip I found usefull is first off get a window seat. Without a window see your pretty much sunk the aluminum fusalage blocks satellite signal. Next while still on the ground before they close the door and make you turn of your cell phone turn on your GPS and get a lock from you seat. Make sure you hold the antenna up to the window near the bottom. This gives it the best view of the sky. Then when you turn it back on in the air it will already have the almanac data from some of the satellites. If you are luck you will still be able to see some of these satellites in the air and you will lock on much quicker. I don't have one but I have heard other say that they take there remote antenna and put it under the little blind on the window. This is suppost to work real well and let you set you GPS on the tray so you don't have to hold it up to the window.

Good luck.

mcb

Guest bob_renner

For a detailed discussion on the use of GPS in commercial aircraft see Joe Mehaffey and Jack Yeazel's GPS Information Website

( http://joe.mehaffey.com/ ).

The newer 12 channel receivers work quite well in aircraft. You just have to make sure you have a window seat. Some of the older Garmin units had a 99 knot speed limit in the firmware, but the newer units all have a 999 knot speed limit. Few commercial aircraft will exceed this speed. Only the Concord has the potential.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest Artful Dodger

I tried my GPSMAP 76 unit from Ft Lauderdale to Newark and kept it on the entire time. It works like a charm. Max speed of the plane - 550 miles per hour at an altitude of 32000 feet. Weird seeing the acceleration during takeoff.

Guest emrldjetta

I have used my GPS quite a few times on commercial flights when they say it is ok to use electronic devices. Never a problem and no plane crashes yet. Sit in the window seat and you will get the speed and you can see what direction they are turning the plane and what cities you are flying over. It is cool and informative. Go ahead try it.....Kyle

------------------

It's always something.............

Guest makaio

I just used my eTrex Legend on a Northwest Airlines flight from VA to OR. They prefer it not to be on during takeoff/landing, but otherwise it's fine. As stated, you need to hold it near the window (or place external antenna near the window) or it will lose it's signals quickly. I pulled the shade down over the unit and let it sit between the glass and the shade for most of the flight, taking it out occasionally to look at the track, speed, altitude, etc. Pretty neat.

Guest CMiYC

If the airline questions it, remember that the GPS receiver does not emit any signals. If fact, it is far safer to operate your GPS during flight than a laptop. The GPS only receives low power signals. And since most of them are designed to be efficent on battery usage, they do not tend to emit too much electromagnetic radiation (and far less than compared to a laptop).

So if they say something, just remind them that GPS performs no function that can interfere with plane's equipment.

------------------

Geek Sex:

locate | gawk | touch | grep | finger | unzip | mount | fsck | cat core | umount | zip | sleep

(if you don't get it, you're using the wrong OS)

Guest Iron Chef

I used my gps this weekend while flying from San Jose to San Diego and back and found that it really depends on the steward in charge. If she/he is in a bad mood (you know what i mean where nothing will satisfy her/him) then you'll be lucky to be able to read much less use the gps. American Airlines prohibits the use of GPSs while their planes are in motion but thankfully most of them don't know why they look like. I told one stewardess that it was a gameboy and she was cool with it :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 18 June 2001).]