GPS315 and Street Maps?

Guest 2Hearts

Guest 2Hearts

I hate to ask this but I have tried to search for the answer and I am just confused. There is so much out there to learn on these things icon_smile.gif

We bought a GPS315 off of someone here on Geocaching.com and while we have used it to find a cache and hide 2 of them, we would like to get a little more out of it.

We have not bought a PC Cable yet (that is next) but we are looking for some soft of software that will allow us to put Streets on our unit.

I have seen software for Landmarks but is there a software that will allow us to put Streets on it so we could navigate through a city with it?

Thanks

Guest cache_ninja

howdy, unfortunately, the 315 doesnt support maps and such. however, the 315 _is_ a great unit and most people on here love theirs...what you can do, i assume, is get a mapping program for your pc, and then create landmarks and send them to the 315 etc. but in terms of having an actual street map on it, the unit doesnt support this. those units that do are generally much mroe expensive, and I've heard that some of the maps that come with/on them are often off a bit, and so/so. so, you need to buy cd-roms, which can cost around 100$ each. im just generalizing, i have no use for mapping so i never really looked into this.. all of this stuff has been going down in price recently though(mapping units and such). but there used to be a big difference in price between the 315 and other units that can map etc.

hope this helps, im sure someone else will chime in w/insight.

Guest logscaler

He is right, again. Or still, which ever. 315 and a good topo map set or even the cheaper cd - myself I use the one from Rand McNally that comes with thier Atlas. $9.99 at CostCo. Works good enough for about 99% of the caches so far. The only thing wrong with it so far that I have found is it is only in degrees.

Guest c_oflynn

Hi,

I've got a mag 315 too. I found this nice piece of (free) software. click here. It uses www.mapblast.com Mapblast.com will give you directions on how to get somewhere. It takes these directions, and saves them in a mag 315 friendly format. I haven't actually downloaded them to my mag 315, but they should be good.

Colin

Guest 2Hearts

After looking into this alot yesterday, I found out that you can connect your GPS to a laptop using the PC Cable (dang, still need to buy one) and then use a Atlas program on the Laptop and Navigate through streets that way. Not a bad option to use I would not think since I already have the laptop and the only time you would want to Navigate streets in when you are in the car.. obviously.

Anyone ever tried this? If so, how well does it work?

Thanks

Guest Ron Streeter

area.

I use the laptop just sitting on passenger seat and look at it occasionally while driving (shame on me) but have also used it with a navigator companion or let someone else drive while I navigate.

The mapping program on a laptop is especially helpful when you are 100 miles from home looking for a park or wilderness area you are unfamiliar with. I used this to find 8 caches in Oregon (I am from California) and found it a joy and necessity. It saved me from a lot of paperwork map work and it always showed me just where I was.

I also have the 2 CD set of SF Bay and Napa maps from Wildflower/National Geographic, but I don't care for the computer interface as much as I do the MS 2001 Streets and Trips. The Wildflower map CD is really a topo map and it is great for the actual wilderness sites, but is not as clear as the MS product for highways and city use.

Hope this helps. Email me for any other questions...rjsmovie@aol.com

Ron

24H/26F/1country/4states/3 times crossed paths with other cachers.

Guest 2Hearts

Ron,

Thanks for the great info. All I needed was a recommendation from other cachers and I think I just received it.

I appreciate the time that all of you took to reply to my message.

I think I now have a goal..