Renaming caches

Is there a program which will automatically rename my gpx files (pocket guery) and replaced the GCXXX name with the actual name of the cache?

Geobuddy does this with .loc files but can't read GPX. Saving a GPX fir as a .loc file and trying to load it in Geobuddy resultes in a tag error.

Any ideas?

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Do you really want to rename the GPX file or do you want to rename the waypoints in your GPX file?

GPSBabel contains a lot of intelligence in the "-s" flag ("synthesize shortnames") to shield you from those unsightly GCXXXXX shortnames and replace them with perfectly lovely, yet unique and readable, names that are optimized for your target format.

For some receivers and file types, it'll even give you icons for the cache type and store the diff & terr in the comments.

GPXSpinner contains a lot of similar logic with more user-turnable dials, but since it doesn't run on my preferred OSes, I can't say much more about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Is there a program which will automatically rename my gpx files (pocket guery) and replaced the GCXXX name with the actual name of the cache?

Geobuddy does this with .loc files but can't read GPX. Saving a GPX fir as a .loc file and trying to load it in Geobuddy resultes in a tag error.

Any ideas?

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Jolly there is a roundabout way of doing it that isn't really difficult. If you process the GPX file through GPX2HTML it produces a .loc file as an added benefit. GeoBuddy will open it. Another neat thing is GPX2HTML tidys-up the cache names like removing quotation marks, etc.

You can download gpx2html from this site here.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

GPXSpinner contains a lot of similar logic with more user-turnable dials, but since it doesn't run on my preferred OSes, I can't say much more about it.

Spinner does it nicely. Give it a try.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895