Meridian driver for XP

I am trying to utilize Microsoft streets for real time mapping while driving, but can not get the PC to recognize the GPS is hooked to the serial port. Do I need to loaad GPS specific driver files, and if so, where are they located?

You will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting. How you get to the Device Manager depends a lot on which OS you have.

Then you have to be sure your GPS is speaking the same language that Microsoft streets speaks. I can't help you there, but I do know that MS MapPoint speaks NMEA and make sure you don't boot your system up when NMEA is active on your GPS or the system will think you have a mouse on the port and cause further problems.

Cheers!

TL

I think S&T 2001 requires you to load something special off of the CD to get it to work with GPSr.

Other than that have the GPSr set to 4800 baud, and NMEA 2.1. And if you have a palm/pocket pc device, it will occupy the port, so you have to find some way to have the sync program not to look at the serial port.

There is no specific driver that I know for windows XP, and I have hardly any problems with my meridian and XP (except that it use to think that it was a mouse if you have the unit on when you start the computer, but thats fixable).

Wyatt W.

One other thing is that S&T only updates every 15 seconds, so it may look as if its not working. Somewhere there is a work around that will speed the update to 2 seconds.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Like phantom4099 said - try changing the NMEA setting in Setup. That's what I had to do in order for my MeriGreen to work with MapSend Topo on my laptop. I didn't know what the setting was supposed to be, so I just "trial and errored" until it worked.