Magellan software upgrade

I recently purchased a Magellan Platinum with Mapsend Streets V4.00F and a Mapsend Topo V3.00A .

The Streets software works great but the Topo obviously is not for my GPS unit. I am unable to upload maps into my SD card. Is there a site that has upgrades available for this Topo software? Magellans site is of no use at all.

I've clicked on a link given here on the forum, but it no longer seems to be in service.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is truly a great sport.

quote:
Originally posted by 2L84DNR:

I recently purchased a Magellan Platinum with Mapsend Streets V4.00F and a Mapsend Topo V3.00A .

The Streets software works great but the Topo obviously is not for my GPS unit. I am unable to upload maps into my SD card. Is there a site that has upgrades available for this Topo software? Magellans site is of no use at all.

I've clicked on a link given here on the forum, but it no longer seems to be in service.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is truly a great sport.

You shouldn't have any problem with that version of the software. You need to upload the maps thru the data cable to the card in the GPS (although there is a workaround that uses a SD card reader). Maybe someone could help you get the maps loaded if you describe the problem.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

For that particular version Topo, merely keep each of your selected regions below a maximum size of 8000 bytes, or 7.8MB and maximum number of regions to 4.

Go here and scroll to the bottom of the page for a version upgrade. This merely upgrades the software capabilities, it does not upgrade any portion of the map data. The connection is slow, so patience is the keyword.

Cheers!

TL

I would like to thank Stunod and TotemLake for their replies.

I have kept the maps to the 8Mb max and they load fine, thank you very much, but loading maps with a serial connection is hardly the fastest way.

Will the upgrade allow the program to access the card reader, and increase map size to 16Mb like V4 of the Mapsend Streets that I have? If so, does anyone have the upgrade and be willing to burn me a copy? It is no longer available at the site given by TotemLake.

Thanks in advance

To copy maps to your SD card with a USB card reader:

(this inofo is posted on the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group)

Copying Files to an SD Card Reader Manually from MapSend

1.Without connecting your Meridian to a PC create your regions and begin the map download process.

2.When the map compilation part of the download process is done, MapSend will display a message that it cannot find your GPS receiver to perform the download.

3.Stop the process here by selecting "Cancel".

4.Using Windows Explorer, go to Program Files/Magellan/MapSend/Export and locate the file called "maps.img".

5.Copy this file to the SD card using USB card reader. Do not create any folders within the SD card where you place this file. Your Meridian will always looks at the top, or "Root", level within the card.

6.Rename the file to "DETAIL00.img" (not required if you are using firmware 4.02 or above)

7.Remove the card and place it in your Meridian. You can use your Meridian as you would normally from here.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Well now that's interesting... I went and verified the file is no longer there, then went to the Magellan_Meridian group and found the following text after someone apparently pushed an issue with Magellan support:

quote:
Elissa Wellikson <EWellikson@t... wrote:

Cease and Desist from illegal activity.

It has come to our attention that you are offering software basemap

products and a Topo upgrade for Magellan receivers at

ftp://magellan:meridian@f... and at

http://www.ftp.kkc.tzo.com/Magellan/index.htm. This software is not

shareware. The Magellan software basemap products and Topo products

are copyrighted works of authorship and contain valuable secret and

confidential information of Thales Navigation, Inc. and use of these

products are subject to the terms for the software license that

accompany the products when the product disk and license is purchased.

You are not authorized to offer copies of this software to others,

even if you are not realizing any economic benefit from such actions.

Your unauthorized reproduction and distribution of the Magellan

software products is, in fact, a theft of our intellectual property.

You must cease and desist these distribution activities immediately

and advise Thales Navigation that you have closed these website pages.

As you can understand, Thales Navigation must protect our rights in

our intellectual property and we will take appropriate action to

enforce those rights, including having those who violates those rights

prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law, which may

result in criminal and civil penalties. Your immediate attention to

this matter and response is required.

Elissa Wellikson

Vice President and General Counsel

Thales Navigation

471 El Camino Real

Santa Clara, CA 95050 USA

Phone: (408) 615-5121

Fax: (408) 615-3961

So, it seems in order to legally acquire this "update", a new CD of the map needs to be purchased.

Cheers!

TL

Wow.....Do they, Magellan even offer the up graded CD for purchase??

You would think that because of the ammount money that I have spent on my ToPo CD,and GPS that free upgrades would have been good costumer relations. Most other Company's (Microsoft) offer free firmware and software updates as a part of a continued effort to keep their existing costumer base, and to show good will to future purchasers of their products.

Magellan may have this in mind for a future updates... but they are so darn SLOW to post them on their web page.

quote:
Originally posted by stutzismydog:

Magellan may have this in mind for a future updates... but they are so darn SLOW to post them on their web page.

Agreed. Although I do agree with Thales/Magellan when it comes to the free distribution of *basemaps*, I don't get what their problem is with the lack of timely updates and the actual Magellan website distribution of the newest GPSR firmware/MapSend versions. Seems like Magellan users always have to find other ways (even if underhanded) to get the latest and greatest. This is where Garmin beats Magellan hands-down. I've used both brands for years now but the Meridian Gold I own will be my last Magellan.

[This message was edited by SergZak on July 20, 2003 at 02:14 PM.]

What makes the upgrade issue even worse to me, is the fact that Magellan at this time is only offering public domain data in their software. Garmin always offers the ugrades to the core of their programs for free, and on a very regular basis. They only charge for the data upgrades, which makes sense since they have to pay royalties for that data.