Antennae

Guest jndery

Well, again best is relative based on your priorities. I believe that all will agree that the quadrafilar antenna provides the best reception in heavy cover - but the Garmin76 with a quadrafilar should be held vertically for best reception. The III/IV/V models with the 'stick' antenna overcome that issue and can be carried in a more comfortable position. I guess an external antenna is probably the best - you could put the unit in your pocket and velcro the antenna to your arm, suction cup it to the windshield, or put it on your backpack. I'd want to do this for x-country skiing, downhill, jogging, etc. I have a buddy with a Magellan - not sure what model - but he can disconnect the 'stick' and connect it via a cable so that the unit can be kept most anywhere. Pretty handy. FYI, the 76 and the Map76 can accept an external antenna. Not sure if the Etrex's can.

Appreciate all the help. Since i'm a penny pincher and I believe the 76 will satisfy my needs while giving me the best antenna options, That will be my choice. Thanks again.