Getting new GPS - 76S v Garmin V

satxbiker

First off I want to say I did a search and could not find the answer so I am posting this. I am pretty new to geocaching and have just begun to understand how really fun it is. I currently own an Etrex Summit and want to get a GPS that has mapping capabilities.

I am considering the 76S and the V. The big difference between the two is (as far as I can tell) the V will do autorouting but the 76S has the altimeter and compass. I really like the alt./compass as I have gotten used to using them on my Etrex. I really plan on using the GPS more for hiking situations rather than driving. However when I get a new motorcycle I think the autorouting feature of the V would be nice.

I actually emailed Garmin sales to ask them if they would be coming out with a model that combines the best of both and they responded with a 'not any time soon'. So that being said... which one would you ask for Christmas and why?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

If you didn't already have the Summit, I'd tell you to get the GPSmap 76S because the electronic compass really is useful when geocaching.

However, since you already have the Summit w/eCompass - Get the V and use it for driving and getting in the general area, then fire up the ole Summit to home in on the cache. icon_smile.gif

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

I agree with wickedsprint. I own the V and the autorouting is great around town, and when navagating to the cache area. I have never had a need to use a magnetic compass while caching (109 found). If I do need a fix on 'true North', I just walk 6 feet in one direction, and there it is.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

I just received my first GPSr today...the V, so I'm a novice. Not sure I follow when you say "no altimeter, no compass." It has "Elevation" and when you select "Off Road" it presents a compass face so you just follow the needle to get to waypoint. Don't know if that is what concerned you.

Good luck on choosing...

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Bill_Sumrall:

... Not sure I follow when you say "no altimeter, no compass." ...

The 76S has an electronic compass that is independent of the GPS satellites, and a barometer. The Garmin web site states, "The "S" in the product name stands for "sensors", because the GPSMAP 76S incorporates a GPS receiver, barometric altimeter, and an electronic compass that deliver precise location, elevation, and bearing information..."

For my use and experience, those 'features' or slightly increased levels of accuracy have not been relevant for driving or caching.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

The GPS V has Vertical and Horizontal modes, also the GPS V is easier to hold due to it's triangular shape. I hold it in it's vertical orientation with it resting naturally in my hand with my little finger holding it up. I found that the Map 76 was quite a stretch for my fingers because of it's width. It's like carrying those large flat graphing calculators.

Still you cant beat the large readable map display (180x240), of the Map 76s

gpsVvpicBig.jpggpsmap76Sbig.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

The V is also a better buy because the current offering is the 'deluxe package'. That includes a 'city select' CD map set and car kit with power adapter. These cost over $150 when purchased seperately. The 76S does not come with a mapping CD, so you will have to buy one to get mapping detail that goes way beyond the basemap.

Current prices on Amazon:

GPS V Deluxe Pacage: $399.94

76S: $349.94

Comparing a GPS V to a GPSmap 76S is kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

The GPSmap 76S is designed as a marine unit and has functions and menus nearly identical to Garmin's fixed mount marine units.

The GPS V is their solution for road warriors.

Neither is designed specifically for geocaching, although a unit designed for geocaching would probably have the autorouting of the V and the electronic compass of the 76S.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

In your situation I'd buy the V. Even if you plan to do more hiking than driving.

Usually, all kind of activities today tends to include driving, if nothing else so to and from the hiking area.

It's like with camcorders. It's actually more important how they are to carry than what features they have for movie making, since usually you carry them a lot more than you actually shoot any film.

I agree that the magnetic compass is good when looking for a geocache. I usually go near the cache, enable the compass and let the GPS (mine is a Vista) lay flat somewhere. Then I go looking in the neighborhood, occasionally returning to the GPS to see which distance and direction it suggests. If it's consistently 10-15 meters in about the same direction, I go look around over there. If it's pointing all around the place, I assume that I can make my circles with the GPS as a center.

But you already have the Summit, so use the combination of the V and your Summit, just like someone else suggested above.

Anders