Right time, wrong year...

Guest PneumaticDeath

Guest PneumaticDeath

Well, the time on my garmin eTrex legend is right, but it's also off by (approx) 59 years. The time is accurate to within my ability to measure, but the date comes up as 23-Apr-60 (and it's 2060, I can tell by the day of the week).

I checked joe.mehaffey.com, but it says the legend isn't supposed to suffer from the y2k or EOW bugs, but that's what it looks like. I've updated to 2.27 of the software, and that didn't fix it. :-/ Anybody out there know what's wrong?

-- Mitch

Guest topografix

Try letting it download a complete almanac, by leaving it turned on and outside with a good view of the sky for at least an hour.

If that doesn't fix it, take it back, or call Garmin tech support (right after they open in the morning is best!)

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest PneumaticDeath

Thanks for the advice Dan,

I couldn't get it to update the almanac on its own, but after a call to Garmin support I got the solution. (20 minutes on hold for a 1 minute answer, but at least it worked.)

The problem was indeed the almanac. In order to force it reload the almanac I had to do a unit reset. To do this, push and hold the page, find and center of the click stick while turning the unit on. Hold them until past the opening screens. WARNING, doing this will cause you to lose all saved waypoints, tracks, and routes. Strangely, it didn't delete the loaded maps. I was told to allow for 30 minutes to an hour to reaquire the almanac, but it seemed perfectly happy after 15 minutes or so.

That solved the problem.

-- Mitch

Mitch:

Have you been successful in locating and downloading WAAS data?

I have not been able to while working from Pt. Isabell, Berkeley Marina, and the Lawrence Hall of Science. Any suggestions?

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by k80:

Have you been successful in locating and downloading WAAS data?

I don't believe I have, but I'm not sure. With 4-5 sattelites I'm getting 20-30 ft accuracy, but I'm not seeing the small "D" on the sattelite display that would indicate that I'm getting WAAS, but that could be due to my lousy eyesight or because I'm looking in the wrong place. I made sure that WAAS is enabled.

I also usually don't have great southern views from most of hte places I go, so that may be a factor. The eTrex doesn't have a very sensitive antenna.

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 20 June 2001).]