Metroguide Updgrade Coupon *pbthththth*

Garmin has a new version 5 of Metroguide available, but they're not doing much for those currently holding it.

They've got a $30 coupon on a $116 product. I paid about $86 without a coupon for v4 just three months ago.

C'mon, guys -- you're not adding much in features, you're mainly updating changes to the physical map to reflect reality, why so high a price for return customers?

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

"...C'mon, guys -- you're not adding much in features, you're mainly updating changes to the physical map to reflect reality..."

As a fellow MapSource user I feel your pain, but...

...if you were to drive your brand new '03 car off the dealer's lot three months before the announcement of an improved '04 model was made, how much of a hit do you think you would take on a trade-in...? The value of most new cars can depreciate by as much as a third during their first year. Oddly enough, the $30 rebate being offered by Garmin is equal to about a third of the $86 price you paid for your 'old' version of MetroGuide ...imagine that!

If the changes they've made aren't worth the price they're asking for the new release, you should be happy to have 'saved' $30 ($86 as opposed to $116) by purchasing the previous version 3 months ago, yes? That Garmin is offering to rebate the difference in price to existing MetroGuide customers - in other words, cover the cost of 'depreciation' - is probably as much as you can expect from them (no company stays healthy by 'giving' product away).

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on April 05, 2003 at 07:47 PM.]

I guess what it really boils down to is that this isn't a trade-in, it's more of a customer loyalty rebate. If I could get a better discount by sending the old one in or something, I'd do it in an instant.

To play more with metaphors, I have a GM Credit Card, which encourages me to buy more GM cars. I get a discount based on what I've charged (so it's not exactly a 'customer loyalty rebate'), but I can make use of two cars at once: I can't do so with a second copy of Mapsource.

You'll say, "Sell the old one." Well, since the upgrade coupon requires the old and new serial numbers, I'd be willing to bet that the next owner of the old version would not be able to upgrade, and it may violate licenses somewhere along the line.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

"...I guess what it really boils down to is that this isn't a trade-in, it's more of a customer loyalty rebate..."

Unless you're planning on never buying another Garmin GPSr over this, 'customer loyalty' towards Garmin's mapping software probably isn't an issue as far as they're concerned. As you (and they) know, MapSource is the only game in town if you already own Garmin hardware (third party software used on notebooks and PDAs notwithstanding).

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on April 05, 2003 at 08:16 PM.]

Note that $116.65 is the list price of MetroGuide-USA for both versions 4.01 and 5.

Since the list price hasn't changed, I expect the actual price from dealers for V5 will also be about the same - i.e. around $90. With the $30 rebate coupon, that brings the cost of the upgrade down to about $60. After looking over my area on their MapViewer, I've decided not to 'upgrade' to this version.

Yes, I'd be upset too if I had recently bought the older product, but that's generally a fact-of-life for technology-related hardware and software. There'll always be something better shortly after you finally decide to buy something.

BTW, GPS V, SP III, and Map196 users should be aware that, unlike v4.01, v5 of MG-USA will not support auto-routing directly on your GPS receiver (it will do auto-routing on your PC).

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

"...that's generally a fact-of-life for technology-related hardware and software. There'll always be something better shortly after you finally decide to buy something..."

...that's a fact.

For most of us with average sized wallets, trying to maintain a constant 'latest and greatest' level of hardware and software is a fool's game. Buy as smart as you can at the time, but accept that you'll probably still be using it for a few years after something newer comes along.

That's just 'the way it is'.

When I bought Mapsource last year I paid $149 and that was the cheapest price I could find, about a month after I bought it then the price started dropping and is now down to around $85.

I am not complaining but just stating the facts of life, if you wait it will be cheaper but what do you do in the meantime? do without? In this case you still have the old version and it still works. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon since there hasn't been many changes in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

"...I'm interested in better functionality and maps in the software than the lousy $70 it's going to cost to buy it (with the coupon)..."

I guess one person's 'lousy $70' is a good chunk of another person's weekly grocery bill (regardless of how good the software may be). I would imagine that, for some people, GeoCaching is a recreational activity that they participate in with a tight budget ...and for many of those folks (especially), there's nothing inconsequential or 'lousy' about $70.

It's all relative.

The biggest problem here is this software is certainly NOT the the best or the most upgraded available. I have several mapping programs and the metroguide was the most expensive and the most useless for general purposes. Only thing is that is the only software that you can upload to the Garmin GPS.

So to me it is sorta like being robbed by Garmin.

If those other companies (Delorme, Rand Mc, MS streets ) can produce a better product for much less money then so could Garmin if they wanted to, but Garmin knows you have to use their software so they can charge a premium price for a substandard product.

Delorme (or whoever) being licensed by Garmin to produce Garmin compatible mapping software ...now wouldn't *that* be a productive corporate partnership? Garmin could redirect energy presently spent on cartography to what they do best (hardware), and the end-user would no doubt get a better product ...both in hardware and mapping software. But that would mean Garmin gives up their chokehold 'got you where they want you' MapSource business. Hmmm, give up guaranteed revenue from being a sole-source software producer for your hardware product, or settle for licensing fees from a third party? Maybe Garmin should take a lesson from the companies who manufacture home videogame platforms?

Is there some sort of time limit on how long a hardware manufacturer can 'protect' their software turf before things can open up to third party software developers? In other words, is it just a matter of time before companies other than Garmin (or Magellan) begin offering mapping software compatible with consumer GPSrs?

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

Delorme (or whoever) being licensed by Garmin to produce Garmin compatible mapping software ...now wouldn't *that* be a productive corporate partnership? Garmin could redirect energy presently spent on cartography to what they do best (hardware), and the end-user would no doubt get a better product ...both in hardware and mapping software. But that would mean Garmin gives up their chokehold 'got you where they want you' MapSource business. Hmmm, give up guaranteed revenue from being a sole-source software producer for your hardware product, or settle for licensing fees from a third party? Maybe Garmin should take a lesson from the companies who manufacture home videogame platforms?

Is there some sort of time limit on how long a hardware manufacturer can 'protect' their software turf before things can open up to third party software developers? In other words, is it just a matter of time before companies other than Garmin (or Magellan) begin offering mapping software compatible with consumer GPSrs?

Man that would be nice!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

Enough complaining about the lousy $30 rebate. Has the software itself improved any? I'm interested in better functionality and maps in the software than the lousy $70 it's going to cost to buy it (with the coupon).

The functionality is generally contained in the MapSource program. MapSource upgrades have always been FREE.

3608_2800.gif

I have the same question as SpongeRob - What's new in the upgrade? The last MetroGuide upgrade had several major improvements, including point-to-point routing on a PC and more, smaller map segments. Does anyone know if there are comparable improvements in this version?

As for those who complain about Garmin making too much money as a result of "unfair" pricing of their proprietary products, might I suggest that you consider investing in some Garmin stock. I did 2 years ago because I was so impressed with their products, customer support, and the market share and other customer's comments I read in this forum. It was not only the best, but one of the few profitable investments I have made in years!

quote:
Originally posted by appletree:

What's new in the upgrade? The last MetroGuide upgrade had several major improvements, including point-to-point routing on a PC and more, smaller map segments. Does anyone know if there are comparable improvements in this version?

The main point of this 'upgrade' seems to be to make Garmin's cartography vendors and products more consistent.

The new MGUSA v5 will use the same NavTech maps that are currently used for v4.01 of City Select/City Navigator. It will still support auto-routing on your PC, but will *not* support it on the auto-routing GPSRs (GPS V, SP III, GPS196).

This makes it more consistent with the European maps which also all come from NavTech with CS/CN supporting the auto-routing GPSRs and MG for other mapping models. Looks like Garmin will no longer get any maps from TeleAtlas which supplied the current (4.01) MGUSA.

Glancing at the MapViewer in my neighborhood I did spot a few new roads that are in the new version and didn't make it into the old one. There are also significant differences in the choice of POIs, but I didn't see anything that makes me want to spend the extra $60 right now. It's also missing a few things that are in the current MG: marine NAVAIDs, tide information, good shoreline data. Think I'll wait until the next major upgrade.

quote:
The functionality is generally contained in the MapSource program. MapSource upgrades have always been FREE.

You're right. That does make sense. Once again though I think my largest complaint with the product is the "Mapsource" program. The cartography itself seems to be fine for what I need it for it's the mapsource software itself that blows.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif