Mapsend S&D and Meridian Yellow...HELP ME

I have a 128mb SD card in my Meridian Yellow. I loaded 4 regions to the card (totalling 103mb) and stuck the card in. everything worked beautifully. i went in to the meridian's card utilities and turned off the detail maps. still working fine...went back in to put the detailed maps back on. clicked on detail map and tried to load up DETAIL00.IMG which is the only file on the card. When i hit enter, i get an error that says "Invalid Detail Map File". I didn't change anything, just turned the map off then back on...and it won't come back on. Please help!

R.

I'm using firmware v.4.02

I'm thinking that maybe the detail map file is corrupted. I would try reloading the map and see if that makes a difference.

I just tried turning my detail map off and back on. FWIW, it functioned as it should (4.06). After I save the setting, it blanks out for a moment but then redisplays to the new setting.

You say the map won't come back on...when you go to the detail map setting, does it list DETAIL00.IMG or does it say "Detail Map Off"?

Another idea I just had: remove the SD card and reset (clear memory All).

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

103 mb is an awfully big file...I've been trying to stick with files around 20 megs. I've got map files for 3 different states on the card and just load the state that I happen to be in.

I don't have my gps in front of me, but when I get ome, I'll try turning the detail map off and back on and see what it tells me.

Good luck...

-pizzachef

Good catch on the map file size, p.c. I think Magellan recommend holding it down to regions no larger than 16MB each. At any rate, the larger they get the more unreliable they become and the greater the chance that the Meridian chokes on the file. Trying smaller regions is a good idea.

Max

Here are the directions from the Yahoo meridian group FAQ:

When using downloaded maps, there is a restriction of four regions joined together in one file. This means that you can have at most four rectangular regions of detailed coverage. There is an undocumented technique to get around this limitation. It requires that you have a SD card writer for your computer.

First, create and download a map to your SD card as usual. Then, from within Windows Explorer, go to your SD card writer, and change the name of the map file from "detail00.img" to something more descriptive, such as "californ.img" or "n_dakota.img". Be certain that the base part of the file name is eight character or less, and that the file name still ends with ".img". If you do not see the ".img" ending, then do not worry because Windows Explorer won't let you change the ending. Once you have done this, use the MapSend software to send another map to the card. Then change the name of this new map also. When you are done, you will have two or more maps on the card, each with a different name.

If you have the version 3.12 firmware or above, you can hit the MENU button and select CARD UTILITIES. Select CHANGE MAP, and change the entry in “Detail Map”

There are ways to do it with firmware 3.08 & below, but one should just upgrade the firmware to at least 3.12.

Max