Garmin Repair: Good Customer Service Experience

freeside

A positive report of Garmin's customer service: my Vista was out of warranty by one month but they replaced it anyway.

Time had not been kind --- many hours in a hot car under full sun and two Burning Mans had taken their toll. I was seeing horizontal lines every eight pixels, and flexing made it worse.

I sent it to them Priority Mail; they Airborne-Expressed back a refurbished unit that looked brand new. They even transferred all the waypoints and maps. Repair cost: $0.00. Reason given: for good customer service.

That's the sort of thing that makes a difference. I've since picked up two Rinos 120s; three friends have also bought Rinos on my recommendation.

Now, this doesn't mean I now expect Garmin to fix all out-of-warranty units; I was just happy they did fix mine.

[This message was edited by freeside on September 29, 2003 at 10:24 AM.]

There has to be someway to avoid these display problems. I've been making some mental notes of what people have done to their eTrex's so that maybe I can figure out a way to avoid the problem.

I guess the real question would be, who here HASN'T had the screen scramble on their eTrex??

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

I have occasionally experienced the horizontal line and click stick phenomenon with my Legend. I’ve had it for about 10 months now. In the past I’ve used the twisting the unit and/or given it a good whack with the palm of my hand technique to clear up the problem. It’s been awhile since the last episode. I’m debating whether or not to send it in for repair/exchange. I don’t want to take the chance of having a problem after the warranty period and then getting stuck paying for repair.

lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

I had the click stick problem, screen scramble problem, and rubberband problem. Garmin fixed them all no questions asked.

I do have to call them again as the lanyard spot (plastic part) broke off of the unit shortly after being returned. I have a feeling when they replaced the unit the case they replaced it with was not new and the plastic was old and brittle. I'm hoping that issue goes well.

Overall I think there are more good stories about service than bad.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

mystats.php?userid=rwmech&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=0000ff

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

I had the click stick problem, screen scramble problem, and rubberband problem. Garmin fixed them all no questions asked. Overall I think there are more good stories about service than bad.

Okay, I'll bite. I have had three Garmin units. I got good support on the original StreetPilot, haven't needed it on the SP III, and haven't heard from them on my inquiry on my remanufactured eTrek Vista purchased in July.

I thought at one time I had a phone number for Garmin, but apparently not. No response to my email. Anyone go a phone number?

[This message was edited by MotorBug on October 07, 2003 at 06:24 PM.]