Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firetrkdriver

****Anyone have all the unlock codes for Garmin CitySelect USA***

I have MapSource-City SElect Version 4.0. I have not loaded it on my computer yet. I have the Metro Guide with all unlock codes loaded now. Just got them both yesterday so I can't make any comparisons.

Is City Select more detailed than Metro Guide or is it the other way around? I would like to have all of the unlock codes so I can compare if anyone can help me out.

Thanks,

Firetrkdriver icon_cool.gif

Hello FireTrkDriver, You already have the full unlock code for Mapsource City Select. I sent it to you with the unit. Just load both programs onto your computer. MetroGuide is already on your unit. Try it for awhile and then try the City Select for awhile. Then you can decide which one you like more. It will take about 1/2 to upload either map to your GPSV. Good Luck

Use the free MapSource Map Viewer to compare the details of any MapSource products.

From Garmin's unlock code policy:

quote:
Your MapSource coupon code is valid for use with your own GARMIN GPS unit. If you own two GARMIN GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region at no additional charge. Simply repeat the unlock process for the second unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.

If, after comparing the products, you determine you need to purchase an unlock code, you can get the details here.

Hope this helps.

Worldtraveler

quote:
you own two GARMIN GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region at no additional charge

Let me get thsi straight - you get a gps (certain models) and you can unlock one region - I can live with that. But if you get 2 gps you have to unlock the same region??? YOu already have that region why would you want to unlock it again?

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

K2Dave, To answer you question, each unlock code only works for one GPS unit. So, If you bought two units, unlock region 8 for example, and load that region onto your Garmin unit, you need another unlock code for your other unit (which Garmin will give you for free)to be able to load that same region onto your other unit. In short, each unlock code is unique and is determined by the serial number of the gps unit.

This message goes along with the above post. Mapsource City Select needs an unlock code, Metroguide USA does not require one.

quote:
Originally posted by Firetrkdriver:

I have MapSource-City SElect Version 4.0. I have not loaded it on my computer yet. I have the Metro Guide with all unlock codes loaded now. Just got them both yesterday so I can't make any comparisons.

Is City Select more detailed than Metro Guide or is it the other way around?

I'm a little confused by your message since you say you have unlock codes for MetroGuide, but that product doesn't have any unlock codes. You get the CDs and are free to download any of the map regions to any compatible Garmin GPS units. There is no copy protection on MetroGuide but of course the license agreement dictates that it is only for your own use.

As to the level of detail; CS 4.00 is the older version that didn't cover many rural areas with street-level detail whereas MetroGuide includes street-level coverage throughout the US. OTOH, CS will usually have somewhat better detail in urban areas for auto-routing, i.e. one-way streets, turn limitations, etc. The newer version of CS now also includes rural areas. Check the Garmin MapViewer to compare the different map products in specific areas of interest.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the post. I did find my all area unlock code for city select but it is pretty useless unless you're in a major city.

I'll stick with the metroguide. A special thanks to RangerRick for walking me through getting it set up. I have been using it in my truck which is the main reason I purchased it and it works great. Now it's time to find my first geocache.