Paperless caching

I would like some recommendations on a PDA to purchase for geocaching purposes only. If possible a large screen/display would be prefferable.(old folks can't see that well any more). I have experience with Palm Zire and Kyocera 7135 phone/PDA but am at a loss about using an inexpensive unit for paperless caching only. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks nonnipoppy

Go with what you know. Use your Palm and get CacheMate. The one disadvantage is that you need to be a premium member to get all the data, but it looks like you are one already.

I think the biggest recommendation is something rugged or at least cheap (disposable) as most PDAs are not well suited to running around outdoors with.

If only for geocaching, I would try to get a used Palm Pilot or Palm III something in Ebay. You can probably get one in good working condition for $20. Then you don't have to worry about losing it in the woods or dropping it or getting it wet (but I would still put it in a zip lock when raining of course)

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

If only for geocaching, I would try to get a used Palm Pilot or Palm III something in Ebay. You can probably get one in good working condition for $20.

Another advantage of these and other older models like the m100 and m105 is that they still have a serial interface so you don't have to worry about a Serial/USB converter to connect to your GPSr. USB is good though if you'll be wanting to use maps on your PDA.

PDOP's GPS Pages

We are on our second Palm IIIxe.( Lost the first one.0 They are about 50 or so on ebay. I have about 750 cache descriptions on it right now and that is including all logs. It holds 8 megs and the 750 caches takes less than 2 megs.

I use pocket queries (sp) Email me if you want some help. wingryderspam@sysim.net

I'll be offering up a Palm IIIxe with a Rand McNally Streetfinder GPS (NAVMAN) on the Garage Sale site in a few weeks (leaving for vacation next Tuesday). I have the Palm (w/ cover), software, cradle, GPS with car and wall wart (no suction cup holder thingie), and Rand McNally software. No boxes either. It works great as a paperless cache tool, and the GPS works well, especially as a backup unit.

If interested, let me know. Otherwise look out for it when I post it.

M.

I tote my laptop everywhere and use Watcher (Requires PQs) and MS MapPoint to import them as CSV files converted by GPSbabel. MS MapPoint allows me to draw a box and select items I've plotted and then say "Add as routes". From there, I can tell it to optimize travel to all routes... it's rather slick. Only problem I run into from time to time is when it cannot figure out to how to get close to a cache not near a road.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

I can recommend Sony Ericsson P800. A multimedia mobile phone with fast GPRS - internet connection. Big screen. I've been using it many times while geocaching and i have even logged my founds online. It has also digital camera, good for locationless caches.

And if you have money, you can byu a gps-unit for P800. It's connected to P800 via Bluetooth. I don't have it, but i've heard that it's not bad.

70242_8000.jpg

70242_5900.gif

I have downloaded Mobipocket to my Palm Vx and it works OK. I don't have mapping but otherwise it captures all of the descriptions, logs,etc. The files for the Palm are available from the same waypoint Pocket Queries that you can run as a Premium member. The problem I have is figuring out how to delete the old files when I am going to a different part of the country. I'm sure there's a way - I just haven't figured it out yet.

There is also a "decrypt" tool (HintDecoder)you can download. With that you can enter the encrypted clue and it will decrypt for you for those times when you are stuck.

quote:
Originally posted by 1cheapmike:

Well, it took a couple of days to figure it out but was finally able to do it.

-Premium Membership $30

-Cachemate software license $7

-Three days of computer futzing (hey I'm ignorant) $xx/hour

-save $3 in paper costs

-Experience = Priceless?

Team Leader, my wife says so!

http://www.geocities.com/mring21045/GEOloaf.bmp

Having 750 caches available within 25 seconds=Invaluable.

quote:
I would like some recommendations on a PDA to purchase for geocaching purposes only. If possible a large screen/display would be prefferable.(old folks can't see that well any more). I have experience with Palm Zire and Kyocera 7135 phone/PDA but am at a loss about using an inexpensive unit for paperless caching only. All suggestions appreciated

I have Compact iPAQ with Bluetooth which is a great PDA and would work well for storing the maps using a compact flash card. You could buy a GPS unit to use with it, but you have to watch out for your battery life.

Got to use the cachemate this past weekend and actually found it more helpful than I though it would be. We got through finding our planned selections quicker than we normally do and went into cachemate and found the next nearest one and went to it.

Now, with my older Visor I'm not sure what could allow me to download the maps to go with the cache text I have.

Team Leader, my wife says so!