***Which unit would you buy?***

In all honesty, a poll isn't going to enlighten you as to what is the correct choice for YOU personally. All a poll will prove is what may be the most popular opinion of OTHERS, and will not accurately represent which unit may be best for you based on the unit's individual merits.

Rather than follow the crowd, I would suggest that you read reviews from independant sources on each unit, (use google.com) evaluate each units features, strengths, and weaknesses, and finally, evaluate your own individual needs for a GPSr, and decide which unit will best suit your personal needs. Then purchase said unit knowing that you made the best choice via rational thought and self-education ...as opposed to following 'the crowd'.

Then again, some people are unable to make decisions for themselves ...

With that said, I'd hands down choose the Magellan every time icon_smile.gif

I'm not using the poll to make my decision on which unit to buy. I have already done all of the above that you mentioned. This is just one other way to see what other people have as a favorite. As for going with the popular opinion of others, I think listening to what others have to say that have already used a unit, and weighing that in as a part of my decision, is the smart thing to do!

If you're not interested in what others think, WHY ARE YOU READING THIS FORUM?

Reading a forum to get information on a subject, and asking others "Which GPS unit to BUY???" are two entirely different approaches, IMHO. The former is a way to make an intelligent decision based on numerous factors, as you pointed out. The latter is a way to get others to make a decision for you, so that, (among other things) if the decision turns out flawed, the blame can be placed elsewhere.

It always cracks me up when I see people ask "what should I buy?' on these forums, looking for the easy answer ...as opposed to learning about a product for themselves.

As for the argument that a 'poll' would help in your decision ...we all know that polls are not an accurate measure of anything other than popular opinion, as peoples responses can be based on something as fragile as peer pressure, or on the unwillingness to admit that they are/were mistaken.

The truly 'smart' thing to do would be, as the final step prior to purchasing, to go to a retail outlet that carries the units you are interested in, and try them for yourself. I'm sure most sporting goods stores that carry GPSr units would be more than happy to oblige a potential customer.

Firetrkdriver,

I think asking which unit is not a bad idea at all. I also think that it can prompt good quality reviews and answers. Go ahead and read this link for my ups and downs and personal interaction with the V. I was leaning toward the Plat but when I saw both of them together I went the other way. I think they are similar units when it comes down to the accuracy and antenna issue and am sure many will take issue with that statement but what I'm getting at is it comes down to features. I like everything about the V expect the fact that it doesn't take memory cards. 19MB is not enough for me but that is the trade off I made. The autorouting can not be beat and in time of not knowing what to do with the unit whether to keep it or send it back I considered keeping it just for the autorouting and getting something else. I'm glad I figured things out with all the great help from the wonderful people on these forums. Research is the best thing so its good to hear you did that. Can you post yours pros and cons for both units so we can see what your needs are better?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

UMC,

I have been reading everything that I can find on the Garmin V. I saw the posts and read the thread of your problem with maintaining a sat lock. It seems you have gotten it figured out enough to make an educated decision.

I must laugh at people who are judgemental of others when they themselves don't have all the answers or they would not be reading the posts!

Anyway, I had posted to your thread about the experience I had last weekend with a Magellan installed in a rental car. It too had problems even getting a lock unless it was out in the open. After it locked on would keep it with no problems.

As for my pros and cons:

I really like the autorouting with the V. I will be using it more in my truck than in the woods, so that feature will be nice. I also like the fact that it comes with just about every accessory that you would need. I like that you can change it from horizontal to vertical but also worry about the antena holding up to use. I do like the fact that you can get an external antena, something I would probably do at least on my truck. The main thing I don't like is the problem you had with the unit locking on, but it seems that most people haven't had the same exp.

At least if I buy the V and doesn't work well in the woods for me, I can use the V in the truck and buy a Plat, since it's cheaper, to use in the outback.

I guess it sounds like I've already decided on the V! That is the one I was leaning towards until I read about your problem. But it seems you've got that figured out now.

Thanks for the input. Keep me posted on your field trials with the V. You never know what other problem you might run into.

PS: I don't tend to put a whole lot of stock in what some of the pea-brains out there say. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone who have answered questions and gave their opinions,

Firetrkdriver

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Firetrkdriver,

I think asking which unit is not a bad idea at all. I also think that it can prompt good quality reviews and answers. Go ahead and read this http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=9060930535 for my ups and downs and personal interaction with the V. I was leaning toward the Plat but when I saw both of them together I went the other way. I think they are similar units when it comes down to the accuracy and antenna issue and am sure many will take issue with that statement but what I'm getting at is it comes down to features. I like everything about the V expect the fact that it doesn't take memory cards. 19MB is not enough for me but that is the trade off I made. The autorouting can not be beat and in time of not knowing what to do with the unit whether to keep it or send it back I considered keeping it just for the autorouting and getting something else. I'm glad I figured things out with all the great help from the wonderful people on these forums. Research is the best thing so its good to hear you did that. Can you post yours pros and cons for both units so we can see what your needs are better?

______________________________________________________________________________________

clps,

You really seem to know what you're talking about. icon_wink.gif I can see from your profile, (posted below) that you have a lot of experience in the GPS field!

Profile for clps

Member since June, 2002

Email this user

Caches Found/Hidden: 0/0

Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 0/0

Benchmarks Found: 0

As far as your statement,

"As for the argument that a 'poll' would help in your decision ...we all know that polls are not an accurate measure of anything other than popular opinion, as peoples responses can be based on something as fragile as peer pressure, or on the unwillingness to admit that they are/were mistaken."

I hope you are not so foolish to believe everything else you read on message boards as gospel. You have to use enough intelligence to take everything with a grain of salt. Just because it was posted in a "poll" doesn't make it any more or less reliable than if it was posted anywhere else. clps, get a life and stop judging others intelligence. I think you need a little more experience before you're qualified for that.

Firetrkdriver

quote:
Originally posted by clps:

Reading a forum to get information on a subject, and asking others "Which GPS unit to BUY???" are two entirely different approaches, IMHO. The former is a way to make an intelligent decision based on numerous factors, as you pointed out. The latter is a way to get others to make a decision for you, so that, (among other things) if the decision turns out flawed, the blame can be placed elsewhere.

It always cracks me up when I see people ask "what should I buy?' on these forums, looking for the easy answer ...as opposed to learning about a product for themselves.

As for the argument that a 'poll' would help in your decision ...we all know that polls are not an accurate measure of anything other than popular opinion, as peoples responses can be based on something as fragile as peer pressure, or on the unwillingness to admit that they are/were mistaken.

The truly 'smart' thing to do would be, as the final step prior to purchasing, to go to a retail outlet that carries the units you are interested in, and try them for yourself. I'm sure most sporting goods stores that carry GPSr units would be more than happy to oblige a potential customer.

[This message was edited by Firetrkdriver on October 13, 2002 at 06:11 PM.]

Personally, I chose the Garmin GPS V based on one thing: I wanted a handheld that would autoroute. As such, it's done great. With the external antenna (just received) it keeps a lock on every bird in the sky that's at all within view, which is really good recently now that we've only seen around 8 sats in the sky on average.

It's been busy so we haven't found any caches (just one benchmark) so I can't tell you how it works in the bush, but when photographing under moderate cover it works well if I move the antenna off the unit with an extension cable. Haven't tried the amped antenna like that yet.

I don't have all the answers ...what I do have, however, is a SporTrak Pro, which I purchased after reading as much as I could about GPSr units, weighing what I learned, and making a decision for myself, not a decision based on what others do or say, or think is best for me.

The whole truth is, I actually purchased a Garmin Venture first, and after using it for a while, was totally unimpressed with the units accuracy, and eventually returned the unit after the click-stick ceased functioning. The truth may be that Garmin makes fine units, and I just got a lemon, (as maybe you did with your rent-a-car Magellan), however, I was hesitant to give Garmin a second chance ...and given what I've seen on this board, my experience with the Venture was not unique.

Frankly speaking, it doesn't matter to me what you buy, nor does it matter to me if you choose to listen to only those who post their 'experience' stats on this website for all to see, as if that somehow magically makes you qualified to speak authoritatively on the subject of GPSrs.

As for the personal attack comments ...'pea brain', get a life, etc., I would expect no less after reading your posts.

My advice to you would be to buy the Garmin V because, as a 'fire truck driver', you no doubt are going to need the automatic routing.

Were one really paying attention, the more important question would be not what unit to get, but rather, how will the inaccuracy of the add-on maps currently available for both the GarminV and Magellan Platinum affect my overall use of each unit ...and when can I expect the maps to be as accurate as the positions reported by the respective units themselves.

quote:
how will the inaccuracy of the add-on maps currently available for both the GarminV and Magellan Platinum affect my overall use of each unit ...and when can I expect the maps to be as accurate as the positions reported by the respective units themselves.

Good question, From the bit of use I have given my V I would say that the maps are pretty darn accurate. Part of the reason I went with a Garmin product was because of how current and accurate the maps are. You can read comments on both mapping software from each manufacturer on this site along with reviews on each of the units.

Clps, how do you like your SportTrack Pro?

Very accurate unit. In fact, extremely accurate. Under a meter most times. Which makes the inaccuracy of the MapSend Topo software all the more apparent when zoomed in to 250' or less ...at least that is the case here in Northern California ...in the north Bay Area.

It would seem that the add-on maps (such as MapSend Topo) were created when selective availability was in place ...and now that SA has been turned off, 100' errors in the accuracy of the maps appears to be common in many areas.

As long as one recognizes the limitations of the map software it is not a problem ...but it could be a big problem if the GPSr map shows you are on one side of a river, when in fact you are on the other side ...or if some other impassable geologic feature were in the immediate way.

As for the unit itself, it is a gadget lovers dream, with tons of features which definitely require reading the manual more than once ...and keeping the manual handy for reference for the features that one does not always use.

All in all, I'd say that if you like computers, you'll surely find yourself carrying this unit with you wherever you go, and using it on a daily basis, as I do.

quote:
Originally posted by Firetrkdriver:

_clps,_

You really seem to know what you're talking about. icon_wink.gif I can see from your profile, (posted below) that you have a lot of experience in the GPS field!

_Profile for clps

Member since June, 2002

Email this user

Benchmarks Found: 0_

"As for the argument that a 'poll' would help in your decision ...we all know that polls are not an accurate measure of anything other than popular opinion, as peoples responses can be based on something as fragile as peer pressure, or on the unwillingness to admit that they are/were mistaken."

I hope _you_ are not so foolish to believe everything else you read on message boards as gospel. You have to use enough intelligence to take everything with a grain of salt. Just because it was posted in a "poll" doesn't make it any more or less reliable than if it was posted anywhere else. clps, get a life and stop judging others intelligence. I think you need a little more experience before you're qualified for that.

Firetrkdriver

...Ouch! Sounds an awful lot like "You don't know enough to voice an opinion, so shaddup" if you ask me. Not that 'clps' seems to need anyone to rise to his/her defense, but hey, 'Firetrkdriver', ...lighten up Bud' (sheesh).

Cache Canucks,

I don't know if you read clps's first response to my poll, but here it is:

"Think for yourself

In all honesty, a poll isn't going to enlighten you as to what is the correct choice for YOU personally. All a poll will prove is what may be the most popular opinion of OTHERS, and will not accurately represent which unit may be best for you based on the unit's individual merits.

Rather than follow the crowd, I would suggest that you read reviews from independant sources on each unit, (use google.com) evaluate each units features, strengths, and weaknesses, and finally, evaluate your own individual needs for a GPSr, and decide which unit will best suit your personal needs. Then purchase said unit knowing that you made the best choice via rational thought and self-education ...as opposed to following 'the crowd'.

Then again, some people are unable to make decisions for themselves ...

With that said, I'd hands down choose the Magellan every time".....

Cache Canucks, I didn't start this to create an argument. I was just interested in knowing other people's opinions! When clps came back with such a sarcastic response, I took offense. If he doesn't like polls or thinks people are stupid for asking others opinions, why did he look at the poll in the first place? I will not respond to clps's comments any further, just wanted you to know that I didn't start the sarcasm!

My sincere thanks to all who made positive replies, on their favorite unit.

No more bickering,

Firetrkdriver

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:

_clps,_

_Profile for clps

Member since June, 2002

Email this user

Benchmarks Found: 0_

I hope _you_ are not so foolish to believe everything else you read on message boards as gospel. You have to use enough intelligence to take everything with a grain of salt. Just because it was posted in a "poll" doesn't make it any more or less reliable than if it was posted anywhere else. clps, get a life and stop judging others intelligence. I think you need a little more experience before you're qualified for that.

Firetrkdriver

...Ouch! Sounds an awful lot like "You don't know enough to voice an opinion, so shaddup" if you ask me. Not that 'clps' seems to need anyone to rise to his/her defense, but hey, 'Firetrkdriver', ...lighten up Bud' (sheesh).

Darn it all.

I thought I made a good effort to get things back on track here, what happened? icon_smile.gif

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Don't worry, no more negatives from me. I even looked for a way to delete this whole poll.

Let's talk GPS, found any good caches yet with your Garmin V? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Darn it all.

I thought I made a good effort to get things back on track here, what happened? icon_smile.gif

quote:

Don't worry, no more negatives from me. I even looked for a way to delete this whole poll.

Let's talk GPS, found any good caches yet with your Garmin V? LOL

LMAO,

You know its funny you mention that. The day I got my V I went searching for a cache and because of all the problems I had with the V I was set waaaaaaay off the mark. Pissed me off quite a bit even to the extent that I had to bread ol' trusty, GM100 to find the cache. So since that I have only been testing my V instead of caching like I should be. I think its all taken care of now but haven't had the time to run the real test of searching for a cache with it.

quote:

"...I didn't start this to create an argument. I was just interested in knowing other people's opinions! When clps came back with such a sarcastic response, I took offense. If he doesn't like polls or thinks people are stupid for asking others opinions, why did he look at the poll in the first place?..."

I hear y'Chum, it just seemed to me that:

"...get a life and stop judging others intelligence. I think you need a little more experience before you're qualified for that..."

...was a tad 'severe' of a response to anything that appeared in any of the earlier posts (and yes, I had read them). Online forums being what they are, a few careless keystrokes can quickly inflame a discussion when all you really *meant* to say was "...Oh ya, says you!...", know what I mean? icon_wink.gif

Cooler heads, especially in the face of those that aren't, go a long way towards making these forums a much more pleasant (and constructive) experience.

Cheers.

I'd take the G-V, primarily because my only need at the moment is vehicle navigation. I only have two hands, and already carry a Legend in one, and a Sportrak in the other while doing the fun stuff like hiking, and caching.

As for the one unit fits all thing, the perfect one isn't out yet. Personally I'd want the G-V if most of my use was vehicle, but I'd lean towards the Platinum for the hand held stuff. There's good arguments both ways, but personally if I could only have one I'd probably be happy with either

For what it's worth

Jeff