I'm excited about my Emap!

Guest alligator

Guest alligator

I just ordered a 32 meg data card for my Garmin Emap and the map software for the USA. I'm hoping to put the entire Minneapolis/St. Paul area on my GPS, which should make it much easier to find the geocaches (or at least where the closest parking spot is).

I'll let you know if I like it when it comes!

Guest alligator

Yes, as I soon found out, 32 megs was enough to cover all of Minnesota and 1/2 of Wisconsin. Wow. I could have used the 8 meg card and gotten away with it.

The only problem I'm having is that unless you have a data card programmer (a separate tool to program the data card alone), it takes a LONG time to program the card in my emap. So long in fact, that because my Com1 port often "hangs" for no apparent reason, I can't use this computer to program the card. It intially estimates it will take over 1 hour to program the card. Not bad, but if my port hangs in the middle, I lose EVERYTHING.

I wish Garmin would get their act together and offer GPS units that use a Smart Media card instead of their proprietary card. Of course, they get more money out of me this way, but I'm not happy with the product. Sure, it performs as intended, but if it was compatible with other products, I'd be much happier.

Oh well - I'll try programming it again tonight on another computer. I can't wait until it's done!