Question on averaging

I'm using a Garmin GPS V which, according to the manual is capable of averaging. However, the manual doesn't go into a lot of detail as to how to use this feature. Can anyone out there give me some pointers on it? I'm gearing up to get out and hide my first ever cache and the guide on the subject says to use averaging if I can, so I'd like to be able to use it well.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long

Hold enter until you hear the beep and the waypoint screen comes up. Now press MENU and the first selection should be Waypoint Averaging. Press enter and it should begin showing the number of samples adding up and the accuracy level. Pressing enter again should stop the sampling and it may ask if you want to record the waypoint. Press enter and that should do it, at least that is how I remember it.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

So baiscally, the longer I let it go, the better off it's going to be in the end? That being the case, how long is a good amount of time to let it do this before I accept the coordinates? icon_confused.gif

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long

quote:
Originally posted by dreddd2000:

.....how long is a good amount of time to let it do this before I accept the coordinates? icon_confused.gif

Depends upon what you're after.

If you're sitting in front of a friend's house and simply want to mark the location so you can find it again with your car and have him/her on your waypoints list, then there's no need to average at all. Your positional accuracy (likely 10 to 30ft) is plenty good.

On the other hand, if you're placing a cache in the woods, you're using your external antenna because cover is dense and you want to have the best possible coordinates for future cache seekers, then averaging several minutes is prudent and respectful of those seeking your cache. I for one take great care in ensuring the coord's I may post on the web are as accurate as can be. If you've ever hunted bad coordinates, you know how frustrating that can be.

So, in the end, the answer to your question is "it depends"....

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."

The longer the better. If you can let it average for 10 minutes, you've at least had some movement of the birds which is what you are looking for. I left mine average during lunch today and was surprised to see it claim two foot accuracy! WAAS was enabled.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin