MAGELLAN SPORTRAK PRO?????????

I AM LOOKING AT THE MAG SPORTRAK PRO AND i WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ONE AND WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME i HAVE BEEN READING A BIT ABOUT IT AND AS FAR AS OPTIONS IT SEEMS LOADED BUT WILL IT BE USER FRIENDLY FOR CACHING AND BENCHMARKS

PLEASE GIVE ME A BIT OF FEED BACK

THATS NOT BURNT, THATS BAR-B-QUE

Sure, it certainly has a lot of options (various screens, ability to customize fields, level of detail settings, etc.) You will figure them out as you get to know the unit. The manual does cover them all, and I think it does a pretty good job. Other questions can be answered here by those that have 'em and are familiar with them.

I think they are definitely user-friendly. It's really cool to just push the thumb-pad and automatically pan without having to click this or that and select pan, etc. etc. icon_wink.gif It comes in real handy when driving and you want to see the "big picture" when you come to a red light. And when the light turns green you just hit the "x" button and you're back in motion.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with the SporTrak Pro.

HTH

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

grandmaster cache which gps do you use?

have you used a sporttrak pro before

I havnt heard a whole lot of good about the legend

it was my first option alot of feedback says it looses fix in the woods and where I am most of the time there are alot of trees deep too

I spoke to a couple who have a venture and no problems but they have not been in the deep forest yet with it

thanks for your info

I use a Sportrak Map and like it very much.

The only thing I dont like about the Sportraks are the buttons, and the icons on the buttons. The buttons are too small, and with the raised ridge of the body running right thru the axis of the buttons, it makes them even harder to push.

I also prefer the button functions spelled out, rather than having icons. This may not be much of an issue if this is the only GPS you use, but having a Mag 315, Map 330 and a Merigreen as well as the Sportrak, the difference in button placements can be confusing.

Incidentally, The Sportrak is the ONLY series that uses the icons. I hope Magellan discontinues the icons and goes back to text in future models.

Also, I think the Sportrak Pro is the only model I would buy from the Sportrak line-up if i could do it over again.

The Sportraks are basically repackaged Map330's, which can be had for much cheaper. Incidentally, the Map 330 has more built in memory than the Sportraks, too. Only the Pro really offers any extra features over the Map330.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by bloodwood70:

grandmaster cache which gps do you use?

have you used a sporttrak pro before

I havnt heard a whole lot of good about the legend

it was my first option alot of feedback says it looses fix in the woods and where I am most of the time there are alot of trees deep too

I spoke to a couple who have a venture and no problems but they have not been in the deep forest yet with it

thanks for your info

I recently aquired a New Sportrak Map from a Cache. (Watchers Point of View).

I really like the 'feel' of the package and so far have been quite impressed with it's capabilities even under forest canopy or within my home. My previous GPS was a Mag 315 so I'm still stumbling over the new button config.

If I was to go out and by a new GPS I think I'd go for the PRo for it's larger memory might come in useful. The meridians use of auxiliary memory cards is a good idea but I find the unit physically bulky. And no lanyard loop?

My only complaint about the Sportrak Map would be in it's Base Map. In my region it only shows the very major hwy's and a rough coast. Basically useless! Unfortunately, according to the manual this can not be deleted to free up some memory for a better base map.

I have a Meridian Platinum and a Sportrak Pro (costco bundle) and love them both. I actually prefer the Sportrak Pro on the hunt. I like its size, the clip-on/clip-off belt thing it came with, and the window mount with power rocks. I can't say enough good things about this unit. There are a couple of minor things I missed about the memory cards on the Platinum, but it's not that big of a deal. As far as the Platinum goes, I've found that the extra features (digital compass, barometer, thermometer) it has are all pretty much useless and not worth the money. If you want to go with the Meridian series, save some bucks and get a Meridian Gold instead. It has all the same card utilities as the Plat, you just aren't playing extra for the useless (in my opinion) features.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I love the accuracy of my SporTrak Pro. It is easy to use and I have had no problems. You do have to get used to slowing down when you get near to the cache so it can update itself and keep you from going past the cache. Otherwise you end up circling back as soon as the unit updates its location. I found 2 caches last weekend one of which was in waste deep snow. The unit lead me to within 2 feet of the cache or I would never had found it. icon_biggrin.gif

I have the Meridian Platinum and My caching team mate has the Sport trak Map Both work exceptionally well. Owning the Platinum I LOVE the Compass, wifes loves the barometer and tempeerature. Ocationally switching GPS's with my friend I found the button symbols to be intuitive and easy to adjust to. Both worked well the other day in partial evergreen cover cupled with heavy cloud cover and deep in a valley.

I am assuming the Sport trak Pro will work just like the Map and I think it would be a good first purchase.

Good Hunting!

Mojocacher icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

My only complaint about the Sportrak Map would be in it's Base Map. In my region it only shows the very major hwy's and a rough coast. Basically useless! Unfortunately, according to the manual this can not be deleted to free up some memory for a better base map.

You can download the 2MB MeriGreen v1.01 base map, and free up 6MB, giving you 14MB available for region maps and waypoints & routes.

There is a file you have to edit to switch the 6MB over from Base map to User useage, but I CANT REMEMBER WHICH FILE IT WAS!!... icon_frown.gif

Maybe soemone will chime in....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

I remember now...you have to edit the "Conv_Memory_Size=" line in your Mapsend.ini file.

Change the value at the end of this line to = 14364

When you then run Mapsend and try to upload a larger region, you will get a warning that the region is bigger than the free memory in your Map330. Do you want to continue?

Just click yes, and it will work fine.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

Originally posted by eroyd: My only complaint about the Sportrak Map would be in it's Base Map. In my region it only shows the very major hwy's and a rough coast. Basically useless! Unfortunately, according to the manual this can not be deleted to free up some memory for a better base map

You can download the 2MB MeriGreen v1.01 base map, and free up 6MB, giving you 14MB available for region maps and waypoints & routesThere is a file you have to edit to switch the 6MB over from Base map to User useage, but I CANT REMEMBER WHICH FILE IT WAS!!... [ soemone will chime in

Isn't this wrong (I hope it's right)? Doesn't the Sportrak MAP only have a 2mb basemap to begin with?

Edited by MacPod

I recently ordered a SporTrak Pro from REI and expect delivery next week. I chose this receiver because:

1. It's waterproof, and I'm sometimes a spaz.

2. The receiver will function in an optional, windowed neoprene case, and sometimes I'm a spaz.

3. 99% of its use will be in the Sierra Nevada mountains and the state of Nevada, so its 23MB of available memory should provide more than enough space for uploaded maps.

4. I'll rarely use it while driving, so the 9MB basemap without a lot of road/highway detail should more than meet my needs.

5. Most reviews and comments I've read agree that the Magellan's antenna provides very good reception under canopy as compared to many competing units.

6. I didn't need a barometer or a barometric altimeter; the GPS altitude should more than satisfy my elevation curiosities.

7. It will work with all of Magellan's software products should I decide that I need more than just Mapsend Topo.

Might as well add to the confusion

I had a S.T. Pro; I loved its size and the short learning curve. However, I quickly decided to return it and get the Meridian Gold. Two main reasons for this.

1) I learned of the “stress crack” issue (which they may have fixed by now) on the S.T. series.

2) After reading about the use of SD cards and SD card reader/writers with the Meridian series, I decided to change.

Now that I have had my MeriGold for a while, I am glad I made the decision I did. When I first started looking at GPSr’s, I did not realize how much I would need to be loading and switching between map regions. Using the SD cards, I can pre-load ALL the map regions I will need for a trip onto the SD card in the comfort of my home, before I leave on my trip. When I am out and about and need a different region, it now only takes a minute max to make the switch. Using the SD card reader/writer also cuts the download time from one hour+, for a large region, to only a few minutes.

I also found the Meridian Gold was about the same price as the S.T. Pro, used the same features, has a bigger screen, and expandable memory. More options for about the same money, that decision was easier than I thought it would be.

I use a SporTrak Pro for all my caching. The only issues I have with this unit are:

1. The screen is not as high a resolution as the Garmin V. It would be easier to read if it were. ( I looked at the SporTrak Color and it seems to have a much higher resolution screen).

2. You need to walk slowly when you get near a cache to let this unit catch up or you will end up walking passed the cache and have to circle back.

3. It does not have a real compass.

I am thinking of upgrading to the SporTrak Color since it addressed all the issues that I have plus it does not have the cracking issue that many SporTrak Pros have.

:)

Can the Sportrac Pro be connected to an external antenna? Thinking of going this route also...heard many good things about this unit....but was wondering about the exteranl antenna thing.

Yes, but you will need to get a re-radiating antenna, as there is no external antenna jack. A re-radiating antenna will send a stronger signal to your GPS thru the air, so no jack is needed. They are about 50 bucks.

Isn't this wrong (I hope it's right)? Doesn't the Sportrak MAP only have a 2mb basemap to begin with?

Yes. It only has a 2mb basemap. And I am positive.

I have a SporTrak Map and a Meridian Gold. I bought the Gold because I had to send my SporTrak back because of stress cracks. It came back all fixed up, but I never use it anymore. The Gold is awesome. The size is a little big, but it's not too bad. The SD cards are great, and the amount of map data it can hold is amazing. I really like the SporTraks though. I wish they didn't have that design flaw. (Only some of them have it though. So, you are not doomed. :) )

i have the sportrac color after i took it back to store because of the cracking problems reported on here about the sportrac pro. did magellan fix the problem. never heard an answer. i already had all the goodies for the sportrac model,so i tried the color model. color model screen is hard to see in sun light in car.outside i just put sun to my back. better then cracking problem with pro model i guess. over all the color model will work as long as it dont bother you to get the right angle to view its screen. the sportrac pro is nice but i would be worried about them cracking. its a shame magellan has not perfected these two units because they would be really nice units.

It doesnt seem like they have corrected the problem. If you search "stress cracks" on this forum, you can see a couple of very thorough threads about the issue. Mine came back fine, but I bet it will someday start to crack again. It has been speculated that if you loosen the screws a bit, you may be able to prevent the cracks.

I would be concerned about how waterproof the unit would be after I had loosened the screws.

There has been speculation about that too. You really dont have to loosen that much, just a quarter turn or so. I think it sucks that you have to do that anyway. No one even knows if loosening the screws makes a difference anyway.