Auto-routing: what is it?

Bzzliteyr

Auto-routing is a feature that allows a user to input two (or more) locations, and then the unit will determine and display the best route (usually fastest) to take based on preselected user preferences. The Legend will NOT do this, BUT some MapSource products WILL do this on the computer - and then you can upload the route to the unit. MetroGuide 5 is one MapSource product that comes to mind. It is very handy for planning trips.

Auto-routing is incredible, and Garmin really did a nice job with the GPS V in this aspect! I love how it can plan a detour and recalculate if you take a wrong turn. This feature is totally worth the money in my opinion!

I mean, what good is a road GPS if it can't give you turn-by-turn directions?!

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

Does this mean that I can upload the route it plots on Metroguide and it will use those waypoints on my Legend (I know it wont give directions ,but will it keep all that info??)

If not, can I print out the route info so that I can take that with me?? I cant seem to figure out how to print that info.....

What I am looking to do is save that list of "left turn, roght turn" someohow to accompany my Legend....print would be fine, although it would be nice to have that accessible on the Legend as well....

Anyone??

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Geo:

Auto-routing is a feature that allows a user to input two (or more) locations, and then the unit will determine and display the best route (usually fastest) to take based on preselected user preferences. The Legend will NOT do this, BUT some MapSource products WILL do this on the computer - and then you can upload the route to the unit. MetroGuide 5 is one MapSource product that comes to mind. It is very handy for planning trips.

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

Does this mean that I can upload the route it plots on Metroguide and it will use those waypoints on my Legend (I know it wont give directions ,but will it keep all that info??)

If not, can I print out the route info so that I can take that with me?? I cant seem to figure out how to print that info.....

What I am looking to do is save that list of "left turn, roght turn" someohow to accompany my Legend....print would be fine, although it would be nice to have that accessible on the Legend as well....

Anyone??

I believe Metroguide does support auto-routing.

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

You can do everything on the MetroGuide - create waypoints, lookup addresses, whatever... Then tell MetroGuide to create the route. Again, based on your predefined preferences, it will find the best roads to take, turn-by-turn. Newer versions of MapSource do allow you to print the written directions as well. After the waypoints, addresses and routes are generated, you can upload them all to your GPSr. If you cannot find the "print directions" feature, then you may need to upgrade your MapSource here.

Well, I have Metrogudie 5.0 and I cant seem to locate the "print directions"....

Can you confirm the MG50 has this function and if so, where I can find that command???

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Geo:

You can do everything on the MetroGuide - create waypoints, lookup addresses, whatever... Then tell MetroGuide to create the route. Again, based on your predefined preferences, it will find the best roads to take, turn-by-turn. Newer versions of MapSource do allow you to print the written directions as well. After the waypoints, addresses and routes are generated, you can upload them all to your GPSr. If you cannot find the "print directions" feature, then you may need to upgrade your MapSource http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=369

Well, I have Metrogudie 5.0 and I cant seem to locate the "print directions"....

Can you confirm the MG50 has this function and if so, where I can find that command???

Neo_Geo is correct that you probably need to upgrade your version of MapSource (the program that displays the MetroGuide maps). Even though you have version 5 of MetroGuide, it comes with a slightly older version of MapSource. Go to the part of Garmin's website that Neo pointed out and get the free upgrade to the current MapSource.

Then, after you create a route, 'right-click' on the route name and you'll get a menu that lists Route Properties. Click on this and then select the "Directions" tab. Now you'll see a "Print Directions" button. Sounds complicated, but it's actually straightforward and gives pretty good directions.

If you also upload the created route to the Legend, it will include a waypoint at every place where you have some directions.

If you haven't done that, upgrade you Legend to the most recent firmware. That will assure that it will handle routes with 125 waypoints, not 50, which reduces the risk of truncating long routes.

Anders

Ok...the "duh" factor kicked in...

OI found a version 5.0 of the mapsource update.....It wasnt in the place I first looked...only saw the 4.13 there....and that is what I had...

Ok...so I am now running mapsource 5.0 and MG 5.0....geez...so complicated! <grin>

Thanks folks for the guidance!!!! (I feel so stupid!)

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

Neo_Geo is correct that you probably need to upgrade your version of MapSource (the program that displays the MetroGuide maps). Even though you have version 5 of MetroGuide, it comes with a slightly older version of MapSource. Go to the part of Garmin's website that Neo pointed out and get the free upgrade to the current MapSource.

Then, after you create a route, 'right-click' on the route name and you'll get a menu that lists Route Properties. Click on this and then select the "Directions" tab. Now you'll see a "Print Directions" button. Sounds complicated, but it's actually straightforward and gives pretty good directions.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Auto routing is a novelty. Don't waste your money on one novel feature._

There are many more features to choose from.

Software, ergonomics,,,,,,

http://gpsinformation.net/

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_POWDER!!!!!!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

icon_rolleyes.gif

Autorouting is hardly a novelty. It's almost an essential feature for a true road worthy GPS system.

I think I would consider built-in electronic compasses and barometers more of a novelty. I mean, the GPS can still give you direction, and it can still give you a reasonable altitude for navigation.

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

Hmmm, looks like leatherman has been using a Magellan for too long. It makes him grumpy. icon_biggrin.gif All is not lost however, as it looks like Magellan is finally going to provide autorouting capability. At least we can hope that press release meant autorouting in the receiver itself, and not just on the computer.

As for autorouting itself, coupled with good maps it's the one thing that makes GPS worthwhile in vehicles in my opinion. For handheld use, it isn't of great use. In fact, I'm not all that sure I find maps of much use for hiking given the capabilities of current units. Autorouting however, especially with voice commands is quite the advancement for vehicle use. Just pick an address, waypoint, POI etc and the GPS will guide you straight there following the fastest, or shortest route following roads instead of as the crow flys. makes getting around in unfamiliar areas a breeze.

novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty, novelty,

No one said a compass or barometer were not a novelty. That was a pathetic argument.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

Leatherman...

I guess you COULD say that a GPS unit is a novelty too, then....

How many of us really NEED a GPS?? It is definately a luxury in most cases.....unless your work really requires it...and even then the job could be done without it I suppose...

But its a very cool and USEFULL luxury IMHO....it is compelling me to spend $400 versus $300.....much as a someone might be compelled to buy a Lexus versus another vehicle....it is indulgence, but you get something for the extra money...

The pet rock is a novelty. GPS units and more specifically autorouting etc are useful tools IMHO.

"Novelty" infers that it doesnt work...well, if autorouting can get me from here to there in a strange place, I would say that it ISNT a novelty....but your milegae may vary...<grin>

In fact, your namesake "the leatherman" could be seen as a novelty.....I have three of these tools, but I find that they really only work well in a pinch...the tools are too small to be considered total replacements to the full size pliers and screwdrivers in my toolbox....

I can see being a cynic....I ALWAYS tend to be devil's advocate...but this last post was simply...well, kinda childish....offer a good argument why it is a novelty novelty novelty novelty and convince me otherwise....maybe I'll cancel my order for the V...... icon_smile.gif

DZ

First of all I did not mention Magellan or any of its features.

Childish? Childish is the second post, given me, after my comment. I simply responded in same.

Novelty implies(not infers) that a feature is not necessary. Just like my digital compass is not necessary.

Luxury and novelty are not the same thing. Any entertainment is a luxury.

I offered an argument that there are other features to consider other than auto-routing.

Some people want ergonomics and buy an E-trex. Some want expandable memory, like myself, and buy a Meridian. Some want to save money and buy Sporttraks or Gekos.

I think forcing an opinion on others, like the GPS V is the only GPSr worth buying, is irresponsible.

I made no blatant attacks I said it was a novelty, and it is.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

"Novelty implies(not infers) that a feature is not necessary. Just like my digital compass is not necessary."

Actually, it depends how the term is used...

NOVELTY toy gun, NOVELTY bobblehead....

The gun is fake, the bobblehead is not necessary.

My point is that a GPS in geenral is not NECESSARY, so basically, by your definition, your GPS is a novelty, as is everyones, and I suppose I could agree.....It is ALSO a luxury.

"I think forcing an opinion on others, like the GPS V is the only GPSr worth buying, is irresponsible."

I am pretty new to this board, but I have yet to see anyone FORCING any opinions on anyone......except to see your post that seems to be almost badmouthing folks who like/want the autorouting feature...WHy is it so personal?? You like yours, they like theirs...and hopefully I will like mine....

I tried the Magellan SportTrac and then the Garmin Legend......I realized that i *want* autorouting.....so does that make me a bad guy?? Nope...justwhat I want.....I couldnt care less about a digital compass.....yet you do...are YOU the bad guy?? Nope...just waht YOU want....

Relax....seems to me that this is a great board with great folks on it...no need to seemingly take it so personal..

Just my $.02 ($.03 Canadian)...

DZ

I made no blatant attacks I said it was a novelty, and it is.

Actually I'm at work. So the forum is getting my full attention, because I'm bored. hehe

I don't see how you can get "fake" out of what I said. You can't substitute fake for novelty, in my statement, and have it make sense. Clearly I was implying that it is unnecessary.

As for your strange tangent, GPSr being unnecessary. That is a very poor analogy. The GPSr is the center of this activity. Geocaching was created to celebrate the elimination of selective-availability. Sure a map and compass can be substituted. However that is an individuals choice to increase the challenge. That in no way makes the GPSr unnecessary. The GPS receiver is the center of this activity.

BTW I did not get upset about anything. I made a simple comment about auto routing, and responded to comments that followed.

Having a difference of opinion does not equal hostility.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

I just found a cache in Cape Cod where I was visiting that got me to 85 feet of the cache from the road. I found this spot byu using autorouting in the PC (Metroguide) and loading it into my Vista. Others found the cache by hiking through the parks hiking trails or bushwacking great distances.

The main point is that autorouting often finds roads that get you closer to the cache because it knows the streets.

Alan

Come on now Mr. Leatherman. A person that already has a GPS unit beyond the basics asks a question regarding one feature he doesn’t have, and wants to know more about. You then shout at him that it’s a novelty. Admit it, your Garmin-V envy is getting the better of you. icon_biggrin.gif

Since this is now officially a Garmin/Magellan comparison, icon_cool.gif I’ll comment on GOT GPS’s list. Personally I’d include the screen resolution and map quality as big pluses with the G-V as well. As for the not finding caches with the Garmin, were you using both units at the same time? So far, I’ve used both my Sportrak, and my Legend on all but 6 of the few caches I’ve found. I’ve so far had two that I wouldn’t have been able to find with the Sportrak alone due to multipath problems. So far, I haven’t had any that the Legend didn’t get me into the right area for. Fortunately, I’ve only had one I couldn’t find at all, but on that one the two receivers agreed on where it should be within 20 feet or so. GCF069

For the record, I don’t use a Garmin, or Magellan unit for Autorouting. I chose to go the PocketPC/CF GPS unit combination, which has quite a few pluses for vehicle navigation, and a big handful of negatives for handheld use. The autorouting, however you obtain it, is the most useful of the whistles and bells on a GPS unit for vehicle navigation, provided of course you have accurate and detailed maps for it to route you on. All personal opinion of course.

I think its what you want to do with it that dictates if autorouting is merely a novelty or not. Just going geocaching or hiking, autorouting doesn't get much use other than taking you close to the cache site.

But in a car, autorouting is more than a novelty, it enables the GPS to become your navigator. Not sure about Leatherman, but I tend to travel, and having autorouting is very nice for unfamilar areas. In short, the GPS in the car would be just about useless without the autorouting feature.

[This message was edited by Tail of Two Cachers on August 17, 2003 at 11:39 AM.]

quote:
Admit it, your Garmin-V envy is getting the better of you.

Har, har.

Tail you need to learn how to use the quote UBB code. What ever you did messed up the page.

I do travel. I'm taking a 4000 mile trip in a couple of weeks. That is exactly why I have a unit with expandable memory. I have every state from Colorado west, on my SD card.

As for routing. Cell phones were mentioned above. I would use it before I looked up hotels food or anything else on a GPSr. Weigh the options. Pay $100 more for a GPSr that doesn't have the feature that I want. Just so it can give me directions for a place it may not even have listed. Or make a 75 cent call and have an address and some light directions given to me.

Hmm.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

Au contrair Mr. Tale of Two Cachers. While I use a Vista with no on-board auto-routing, watching the on-board street maps as I drive to the desitination provides a wealth of info that I wouldn't have otherwise. Using the bearing arrow in conjunction with the maps makes it even easier.

I do agree wit you however that it would be nice if the Vista had auto-routing. But I bought the Vista originally for the on-board compass which I find very useful in the field. The V doesn't have that or an altimeter and has less memory.

Like most products, there are tradeoffs.

Alan icon_smile.gif

The iQue has the best of both worlds. Auto-routing of the V and up to 512 meg sd cards (which Magellan uses) for holding all those maps, mp3s, games and voice commands instead of the beep of the V. You can listen to your mp3s and the voice directions will turn down the mp3 music to give your turn direction and then continue the mp3. The only problem is durability. The iQue is not waterproof or protected in any way (like an Emap). I used my iQue for the first time on a geocache last Friday, and I must admit I was leery of breaking it. But it worked and was (only) 3.7 feet off. I was able to fill out the log in the cache and then do a memo in the iQue for later downloading to the electronic log. And then listen to mp3s on the way back. Is there anything else out there that can do all of that.... in one device?

I have been told (pdastreet.com) that you could get all of the detail maps for the whole country to fit on 3 256 meg cards.

I'm sorry. I sound like a iQue salesman.

What it really comes down to (and I think you will all agree) is to get the GPS device with the "bells and whistles" (or not) to fit your needs. If your needs are met... fine.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

"Cell phones were mentioned above. I would use it before I looked up hotels food or anything else on a GPSr."

So, you carry the yellow pages for every city you go thru or plan on stopping in?? How do you know the numbers ahead of time to call?? Or do you call directory assiatnce and say "Can you find me a hotel/retaurant within 5 miles of where I cam....?" ?

"Weigh the options. Pay $100 more for a GPSr that doesn't have the feature that I want. Just so it can give me directions for a place it may not even have listed."

You hit it on the nose....."features *I* want"....I weighed my options and found the built in compass of some units to be NOT what I needed, but the autorouting will DEFINATELY be cool to have.....liek I said before, your list of "necessary features" will likely be different from mine, and mine will be different from someone elses's...aint it great how we can make up our own mind and buy the features we want???? Wow! WHat a concept... icon_smile.gif

DZ

Just curious...what does an iQue cost??

quote:
Originally posted by nscaler:

The iQue has the best of both worlds. Auto-routing of the V and up to 512 meg sd cards (which Magellan uses) for holding all those maps, mp3s, games and voice commands instead of the beep of the V. You can listen to your mp3s and the voice directions will turn down the mp3 music to give your turn direction and then continue the mp3. The only problem is durability. The iQue is not waterproof or protected in any way (like an Emap). I used my iQue for the first time on a geocache last Friday, and I must admit I was leery of breaking it. But it worked and was (only) 3.7 feet off. I was able to fill out the log in the cache and then do a memo in the iQue for later downloading to the electronic log. And then listen to mp3s on the way back. Is there anything else out there that can do all of that.... in one device?

I have been told (pdastreet.com) that you could get all of the detail maps for the whole country to fit on 3 256 meg cards.

I'm sorry. I sound like a iQue salesman.

What it really comes down to (and I think you will all agree) is to get the GPS device with the "bells and whistles" (or not) to fit your needs. If your needs are met... fine.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

I took a ride on my motorcycle today with my legend (it is going back tomorrow or so) just to try it out....

It was neat to have! I found an alternate route from where I ended up and it was great! And at one of the highest peaks in the Laurel Mountains I stopped and compared my Legend's readout for elevation to the sign's posted info....they were within 2 feet of each other....

MORE Than *I* will ever need...

I decided that I could live without the compass and altimeter, but wanted the Autorrouting...It just depends on what you want it for and need it to do.....

WHat was COOL is that I have taken this route before (well, the first leg of it) and I found some COOL new routes because of the Legend! I cant wiat ill I have autorouting as an added tool to use!

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

_Au contrair_ Mr. Tale of Two Cachers. While I use a Vista with no on-board auto-routing, watching the on-board street maps as I drive to the desitination provides a wealth of info that I wouldn't have otherwise. Using the bearing arrow in conjunction with the maps makes it even easier.

I do agree wit you however that it would be nice if the Vista had auto-routing. But I bought the Vista originally for the on-board compass which I find very useful in the field. The V doesn't have that or an altimeter and has less memory.

Like most products, there are tradeoffs.

Alan icon_smile.gif

I dont want to get tied up in semantics here....

But, from the online Meriam Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: nov·el·ty

Pronunciation: 'nä-v&l-tE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

Etymology: Middle English novelte, from Middle French noveleté, from novel

Date: 14th century

1 : something new or unusual

2 : the quality or state of being novel : NEWNESS

3 : a small manufactured article intended mainly for personal or household adornment -- usually used in plural

So, really, we are both using it in incorrect manners... icon_smile.gif

Popular use has the term as meaning fake or not a "real" item, a toy... --- as in "novelty" helmet, "novelty" gun, etc.....which was what I was talking about....

My "strange tangent" was simply trying to draw a comparison between what we all have as a definition of "unnecessary"....and yes, it is all relative. For someone who doesnt travel, geocache or in fact CARE where/how high he or she is, a GPS unit is a useless toy...a waste of money altogether. Does that mean it IS a useless purchase for everyone?? I think not....

I plan on geocaching with it...but my PRIMARY uses for my GPS will be travelling on my motorcycle...so, a feature such as autorouting might be considered a "necessity" for someone who wants it, whereas it may be a "novelty" (utilizing your definition, not MW's) for YOUR use. Just as the compass and alitmeter might be "critical needs" for you but useless to me for my use.

To blanket statement a feature as being unnecessary based on YOU OWN needs isnt exactly

a friendly way to say it....of course, that is IMHO.

Glad you are not upset....sometimes the written word doesnt convey properly what the writer intends...I still dont know what you INTENDED by typing "novelty" 15 times (or however many..I didnt count).....maybe if you explain that it would help...

DZ

quote:

Actually I'm at work. So the forum is getting my full attention, because I'm bored. hehe

I don't see how you can get "fake" out of what I said. You can't substitute fake for novelty, in my statement, and have it make sense. Clearly I was implying that it is unnecessary.

As for your strange tangent, GPSr being unnecessary. That is a very poor analogy. The GPSr is the center of this activity. Geocaching was created to celebrate the elimination of selective-availability. Sure a map and compass can be substituted. However that is an individuals choice to increase the challenge. That in no way makes the GPSr unnecessary. The GPS receiver is the center of this activity.

_BTW I did not get upset about anything. I made a simple comment about auto routing, and responded to comments that followed._

Having a difference of opinion does not equal hostility.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_POWDER!!!!!!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

quote:
Just as the compass and alitmeter might be "critical needs" for you but useless to me for my use.

I find it funny that the features of the Meridian Platinum keep coming up. I never brought them up or compared then to the GPS V. I assume that my avatar is the basis of this strange prejudice. I simply said that auto-routing was unnecessary. I'm at a loss to understand where the compass and barometer came in!?

casual, causeless, chance, dispensable, excess, exorbitant, expendable, extraneous, extrinsic, fortuitous, futile, gratuitous, haphazard, inessential, irrelevant, lavish, needless, noncompulsory, nonessential, optional, prodigal, profuse, random, redundant, supererogatory, superfluous, surplus, uncalled-for, uncritical, undesirable, unessential, unneeded, unrequired, useless, wanton, worthless

I'll change my position on novelty, sense the term is ambiguous.

I like superfluous. It's much more appropriate.

Why would I carry around the Yellow pages? With the cell call to info I would have any info I want. Usually with just the city I'm in I can have directions to the place I'm seeking.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

"I simply said that auto-routing was unnecessary."

Ok, and otehrs have said that it is a great tool....so?

" _I'm at a loss to understand where the compass and barometer came in!?_"

Some of us (myself included) were simply using these other tools to illustrate a point...ie that a toolset that would work for ONE person might not for another....

"_ casual, causeless, chance, dispensable, excess, exorbitant, expendable, extraneous, extrinsic, fortuitous, futile, gratuitous, haphazard, inessential, irrelevant, lavish, needless, noncompulsory, nonessential, optional, prodigal, profuse, random, redundant, supererogatory, superfluous, surplus, uncalled-for, uncritical, undesirable, unessential, unneeded, unrequired, useless, wanton, worthless_"

See, its stuff like this that appears to be posted in an arrogant or snotty kind of way....why the angst??

"I'll change my position on _novelty_, sense the term is ambiguous.

I like _superfluous_. It's much more appropriate."

Correct.....in fact, a GPS at ALL (for most of us) is all those things.....

"Why would I carry around the Yellow pages? With the cell call to info I would have any info I want. Usually with just the city I'm in I can have directions to the place I'm seeking."

You don't travel much I take it??

]

quote:

Ok, and otehrs have said that it is a great tool....so?

My first comment was very simple. "There are many more features to choose from.

Software, ergonomics,,,,,," Meaning there is more to GPS receivers than just auto routing. You turned it into a stupid argument about compasses and barometers.

quote:
See, its stuff like this that appears to be posted in an arrogant or snotty kind of way....why the angst??

I don't care how you take a post. It's your fault if you take offense to anything posted. If your trying to teach everyone etiquette, you have an endless battle before you.

quote:
Correct.....in fact, a GPS at ALL (for most of us) is all those things.....

A GPSr is not superfluous. It is the center of this activity. Why do you keep repeating that stupid point? I'm sure your point would have more weight if you were talking to someone that didn't Geocache.

quote:
You don't travel much I take it??

I do travel. I already mentioned that.

If you have A.D.D and can't remember things from one moment to another, you can scroll up and read the previous posts. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyways your irrelevant arguments are boring me. So if you have to have the last word, go ahead and make it.

39197_3500.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Mokita!

quote:

Meridian Platinum.

Everyone has their own expectations of a GPSr. Some folks like to take the fun out of caching and have the GPSr tell them where to turn when driving to a cache.

I wanted a ton of memory. I can load nearly six states worth of maps in my Meridian. If I buy more memory cards I could have the entire United States in my pocket. I wouldn't have to drag a computer with me to load more maps.

I am planing a motorcycle trip in Sept. I will be looping through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon. With only two SD cards I will have more than enough room for all of these states.icon_biggrin.gif

The Link from WHAT GPS ARE YOU USING?

I have lots of maps loaded in my GPS without the Autorouting turned on, and so I have more maps in memory. My 2nd GPS has autorouting loaded with maps.

Autorouting is strictly a time saver, and good trip planner. It will help in a crunch, but is not needed all the time. I would like to be able to disable autorouting in favor of a 10,000 breadcrumb memory in my old GPS V. Autorouting also means Lock-On-Road is turned ON, but I dont want it at all on my OLD GPS V, that I use while on foot. I do have another GPS V, that I can use Autoroutin on to calculate distance and the time needed to get somewhere. I have a hard time sometimes in a crowded city during rush hour, so autorouting can help. Now a talking copilot can help when I need all my attention on the busy roads.

Out of about 11 GPS units ive tried, my old GPS V has gotten so much use, that it is starting to wear out.

I like the fact that you get a dash mount, 2 cables, 2 cd-roms(with mapsource), and manual with the GPS, that you can get for about $404 from www.gpscity.com

It is a good starter system with all the accesories that you will need.

I was bored this afternoon at work so I went and searched for "leatherman".....

It is AMAZING how many of your posts are of EXACTLY this tone.......rude, snotty and simply arrogant. There were some pleasant ones, actually...but right after the posts about the brown recluse bite (with the accompanying pictures of a guys left thumb)......they all turned to crap.

When you disagree with someone or when someone disagrees with YOU, you turn it around, make it personal and call folks "stupid" "moron" and several others...in fact, there was a "discussion" back in July where you had the SAME EXACT semantics battle with someone......in that discussion, you acted as though saying "novelty" was something new.....and when called on it you switched to "superflous", as though you had just thought of the word as applying to the argument.......EXACTLY how our conversation went over the last couple days....

So, are you really that bored that you need to rehash old arguments with new people?? That seems kinda petty and warped IMHO. But as you said, you dont care for my opinion...in fact, you dont care about anyone else's opinion...yours is the right one, at least in your mind. You obviously feel like you are pretty hot stuff....I wonder if anyone here (or elsewhere) really shares your opinion of yourself?

I get the impression that most on this forum veiw GPSing as a sport and a hobby, and something that can be a family thing or an individual thing....lots of different folks , all with different attitudes and methods and preferences....ALL seem to be welcome, far as I can tell, by most.....except for you....YOU are the only one calling people "stupid" and "morons".

Every board has to have at least ONE of these types, and I guess I have now had the pleasure of meeting THIS boards' designee. I have noticed that most folks conspicuously avoid debating with you....in fact, seems that many avoid conversing with you except on very high level and topical threads.....I think I'll join that crowd.

And I am willing to bet a week's wages that YOU won't have the intestinal fortitude to NOT come back with some snide reply..........can you resist? Or do you have what it takes to walk away?? I doubt you do....I am sure you will attempt to lambast me from now on every time you see me post...and that's ok...I think folks generally expect that of trolls.....which I am now convinced you are...you love an argument, and are willing to fabricate them at any expense.

And silly me, I played into that garbage...shame on me.

DZ

quote:

I can see being a cynic....I ALWAYS tend to be devil's advocate...but this last post was simply...well, kinda childish....offer a good argument why it is a novelty novelty novelty novelty and convince me otherwise....maybe I'll cancel my order for the V...... icon_smile.gif

DZ

The newbies first response to my posts was inflammatory. Yes he picked a fight with me.

He was just as petty and childish.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!