Scratch on bezel (screen ?)

Guest James Kastner

Guest James Kastner

I've got a Garmin GPSII+ with lots of miles on it. Somehow in it's travels it has aquired a scratch on the bezel .

I'm calling it a bezel because I don't think it is actually part of the LCD display screen.

It's more cosmetic than functional.

Is it possible to fix this (polish) ?

Can I replace the bezel ?

regards,

Jim

Hey James,

If the scratches are small then try a CD repair kit. You can get them cheap at Wal-mart or some record shops. They usually come with a wax-like polish and a cleaner. you wax and buff the scratch and then clean the entire screen. It make small scratches almost vanish and can help visability around the deep scratches. I used this on a II that had a couple of scratched. It worked OK. Its cheap and worth a try.

Matt

Guest Geogoat

Go to a cell phone dealer and pick up a small tube of scratch remover. It is a product made for taking the scratches of the displays of cell phones, which I believe should be the same material as your GPS. I used it on my eTrex and it worked great.

Guest James Kastner

Well, I tried the CD cleaner. It was a tube of cleaner and cloth that advertized as cleaning scratches in CDs/DVDs. I followed the instructions. No joy. Any other ideas ? Guess I'll just ignore the scratch and get back to figuring where I'll stash my cache...

thanks,

Jim

Guest Geogoat

The cell phone display scratch remover worked for me. I think it is a little more agressive than the CD cleaner. Also, if you live near an airport with an aircraft repair facility, they sometimes have a product that removes scratches from aircraft windshields.

Sorry no more answers for the scratch, but to keep from getting anymore try using a layer of WriteRIGHT, by Concept Kitchen (www.conceptkitchen.com) I used these plastic covers for my Visor. It has kept my screen from being scatched a couple of times. Just cut to size. It makes the screen a tad less clear, but I feel like my investment deserves some protection.

seward.

Guest BlueCabbie

Or instead of the WriteRite, get a roll of "Scotch Super Clear Packaging Tape". You can find it at most any hardware store. I have only just put it on my eMap screen, but I have used it many times in the past for this sort of thing. It is also good for laminating paper that you want to stand up in the weather. -Chuck-