Why do you need a compass?

Guest Case_198

Guest Case_198

Ok, I know this is a newbie question, but I'm learning. :-) (See I don't even know how to insert the little smiley faces!)

Why do you need a compass when geocaching? Isn't the GPS supposed to guide you directly there?

==Case

Guest gstrong1

Hi Case_198. I would say, first & foremost, if you're 1/2 mile into the woods on a cache hunt,and your GPS batteries go dead & you have no spares, a compass will be what gets you back out of the woods.As long as you've got a pretty good idea of your heading going in,change your heading by 180 degrees & you're heading back out. Secondly,when on a cache hunt & on the GPS compass screen with your goto activated, as you get close to the posted co-ordinates for the cache, the needle on these things that point you in the right direction tends to start getting goofy.The "distance to waypoint" should be pretty close but as you get real close to your destination, the arrow may point you in the opposite direction.But the heading on the GPS compass ring will pretty much be where you have to go.At that point, go to the old faithful compass,take the heading off the GPS compass ring, say SW 240 degrees, and shoot that with your compass & it should take you on to the cache. It's pretty reliable & I wouldn't head on a cache hunt without it.Hope this helps some.I'm sure you'll get more responses that may explain it a little better, but trust me, carry the compass along. icon_biggrin.gif.Happy caching.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

Hi Case_198. I would say, first & foremost, if you're 1/2 mile into the woods on a cache hunt,and your GPS batteries go dead & you have no spares, a compass will be what gets you back out of the woods.As long as you've got a pretty good idea of your heading going in,change your heading by 180 degrees & you're heading back out. Secondly,when on a cache hunt & on the GPS compass screen with your goto activated, as you get close to the posted co-ordinates for the cache, the needle on these things that point you in the right direction tends to start getting goofy.The "distance to waypoint" should be pretty close but as you get real close to your destination, the arrow may point you in the opposite direction.But the heading on the GPS compass ring will pretty much be where you have to go.At that point, go to the old faithful compass,take the heading off the GPS compass ring, say SW 240 degrees, and shoot that with your compass & it should take you on to the cache. It's pretty reliable & I wouldn't head on a cache hunt without it.Hope this helps some.I'm sure you'll get more responses that may explain it a little better, but trust me, carry the compass along. icon_biggrin.gif.Happy caching.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest k2dave

Basically gstrong got it.

When you are close your gps will start pointing in many directions (just like when you go to the N. or S. poles and your compass can't get a good direction - gps really handy then).

Your GPS should have a compass screen. you should be able to see N on you gps (even though it might not be at the top) - as well as a direction to the waypoint. Turn your gps so the N is allinded with the compass and the arrow should point the way.

Also helpd with using the map screen where N is up - if you have a pointer arrow.

Guest Case_198

Thanks for the response! I figured there had to be a valid reason, since so many people seem to use them.

I won't be able to pick up a GPS until mid-September, but I can't wait to start my first hunt! icon_smile.gif

Guest Case_198

Thanks for the response! I figured there had to be a valid reason, since so many people seem to use them.

I won't be able to pick up a GPS until mid-September, but I can't wait to start my first hunt! icon_smile.gif

Guest jeremy

Bring a paper map!

Always good to have backup. An exception would be a city park or somewhere you can hear traffic, or a well travelled trail (but bring a map anyway)

Mark your vehicle as a waypoint!

I do this now based on a previous experience. Of course there is the trackback feature on the Garmin units, but still...

A compass is backup!

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate. Take your gps unit, open the back and drop the batteries. Now navigate yourself out of the woods. Compasses are alcohol-filled so they don't freeze, and since they don't need electricity they're pretty darn reliable.

Jeremy

Guest CharlieP

The main reason I carry a compass is because my GPS will sometimes not get good reception in the area near the cache, but I can move to an area nearby which has better reception (fewer trees or higher on a hill) and take take a good bearing and range from the GPS. I then use the compass to set my heading to pace off the range. You should understand what declination is if you use this method.

FWIW,

CharlieP

Guest logscaler

I use mine as a short cut item. As you are heading in and have a rough idea as how far to the cach. Shoot a bearing as to direction, give an ocular estimation as to distance, and look for the easy route for as far as you can get. Beats busting brush and jumping through Devils Club thickets.

Guest Geoffrey

I have the Etrex Vista, and its great. I did a goto on a cache recently, and it worked good. I was having trouble finding the cache, so i stood still and lined up the Arrow on the Vista's Compass page. I put the GPS up near my eyes like a sighting compass, and there was the cache straight ahead.