What is autorouting and can my garmin etrex legend do it?

I just received the mapsource metroguide usa in the mail today and it talks about autorouting. I think I understand but since I have never seen it would anyone here be willing to help me out with this education?? thanks.

I have the etrex legend does it do autorouting??Kirk out.

No the Etrex Legend does not do autorouting. Autorouting is when you punch in an address, point of interest, waypoint etc and the unit takes you there. Turn by turn. The Etrex will take you there but will just draw a straight line from where your at to where your going, it won't calculate every turn on what street.

The Garmin GPS V does autorouting and I couldn't live without it now.

When I'm in unfamiliar territory, I can look up the nearest ATM, or fast food etc and it will take me there. Turn by turn.

You can create a route on your desktop and download it to your Legend but it's still not turn by turn. The GPS V will tell you upcoming streets, upcoming turns etc. For example as your driving the V will tell you: "Driving south on Main ST..........Approaching 5th st......."

I'm not fqmiliar with the V but I do have Metro and a Vista which works like the Legend as far as Mapsource.

You actually do download the turn by turns after you create a route on your PC. The only problem of course is if you go off your route, the unir will not recompute for you. But as long as you stay following the route you created on the PC, the GPS wil take you right to your destination. ON the Visat,the arrow bends into the next turns as you approach. Don't know if the Legend does the same.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Search1128:

Autorouting is the process of figuring out the best route (you have the options of faster time or shorter distance) to a destination on a map.

There are two different types of autorouting...on the PC and directly on the GPS. On the PC, MapSource itself (the program that runs on your PC) can do autorouting provided that the MapSource product you have installed also supports autorouting ("US Topo" and "Roads and Recreation" do not support autorouting on the PC).

Autorouting on the GPS can do the route calculations within the GPS itself without the need for a PC. If you miss a turn or deviate from the route, the GPS will recalculate the route on-the-fly. This requires that the maps loaded to the GPS contain autorouting data (the maps segments are larger because of this data) and that the GPS itself is capable of autorouting. The autorouting routines in the GPS also use more of the unit's internal memory for this. The only current Garmin models that can autoroute on the GPS are the Street Pilot and the GPS V. The Garmin Legend does not do autoroting on the GPS, but you *can* create a route with MapSource and upload that route to the Legend.

I've gone around my small town here and punched in waypoints at key intersections. This gives me quasi-autorouting. I don't use my Legend for much urban travel, though. Maybe one day I'll get a Mark V.

If you haven't done so, update your gps firmare at garmin.com; adds a lot more waypoints and routes.

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."

I'm not fqmiliar with the V but I do have Metro and a Vista which works like the Legend as far as Mapsource.<BR><BR>You actually do download the turn by turns after you create a route on your PC. The only problem of course is if you go off your route, the unir will not recompute for you. But as long as you stay following the route you created on the PC, the GPS wil take you right to your destination. ON the Visat,the arrow bends into the next turns as you approach. Don't know if the Legend does the same.<BR><BR>Alan

I use MapSource MetroGuide V to do auto-routing on my Legend. When I go off course, the GPSr will point me back to the proper course every time. I don't have to go back to the point I lost the course, just follow the arrow and it will reconnect me on course where ever I happen to be. Yes, the arrow does bend to point to the right direction when approaching a turn. I seldom use it, as I haven't been anywhere yet that I don't already know how to get there....did that sentence make sense? Well, you get the gist of it, anyway.

Autorouting is not a feature available on the Legend. Are you referring to something else?

sorry..i meant auto logging or autotracking...its mentioned earlier or in anothe thread..i have read so many this morning...... something about the legend auto doing something, taking up resources and it cant do anything with this and there is a way to turn it off

thanks in advance

Yes, you can turn tracking off - go to your Main Menu, select Tracks, and then set Track Log to "Off".

Track recording doesn't really eat up resources other than filling up your track log, though. Those resources are targeted for track recording only, so turning tracking off won't, for example, give you more room for storing waypoints or maps. I think what you are referring to is turning off routing information in MapSource so that you don't download that information to your receiver which can't use it. Doing that *does* give you the ability to download more maps. Select the "Maps" tab in MapSource and uncheck the box at the bottom of the list of maps to download that is labeled "Include route calculation data".

I use MapSource MetroGuide V to do auto-routing on my Legend.

What you describe is technically manual routing rather than autorouting.

Yes, you're right....it is manual routing, done on the PC. The part about re-rerouting itself to the route when I go off the planned route is correct, though. I've heard others say this isn't possible with the Legend, but it is, and I wanted to make that point clear.

Yes, you can turn tracking off - go to your Main Menu, select Tracks, and then set Track Log to "Off".

Track recording doesn't really eat up resources other than filling up your track log, though. Those resources are targeted for track recording only, so turning tracking off won't, for example, give you more room for storing waypoints or maps. I think what you are referring to is turning off routing information in MapSource so that you don't download that information to your receiver which can't use it. Doing that *does* give you the ability to download more maps. Select the "Maps" tab in MapSource and uncheck the box at the bottom of the list of maps to download that is labeled "Include route calculation data".

thats its..thank you kindly for the instruction..i am loving this new toy

Pointing you back to the original route isn't autorouting. Coming up with a new route on the fly when you get off your route is autorouting. Mapopolis on the Palm does this - if you take a different route than the original calculated one, it calculates a new route based on your location, and you don't have to go back to the original route. I wasn't aware that the Legend does routing of any kind. It just points direct to the destination, as far as I've ever seen. I haven't bought Mapsource, though, so maybe it's possible. With Mapopolis, I have no need for Mapsource.

As others have said, the Legend does NOT do autorouting. It is possible, however, to create or download a route from mapsource to the legend and follow that route. It will give you a series of waypoints to follow, but it will not always follow the road, nor will it recalculate the route for you if you go off course. It merely continues to point you in the direction of the next waypoint on your route. This is not autorouting.

Mapsource, depending on the product you own (Metroguide v.4 and City Select has it, Metroguide v.5 does not), will do autorouting on the PC regardless of which GPS you own, but to get autorouting on the GPS, you have to have a V or a 60cs or some other unit that supports it.