New Magellan GPS vs Garmin Yellow

I don't want to upset any Yellow owners but wow!! I just used my new Meridian GPS to find nine out of nine caches today. The GPS pointed me right to every single one of them to the point I did not have to search. icon_biggrin.gif I used a friends Yellow before and it got me to the general location but then I would have to search...and search. icon_confused.gif So my vote goes to Magellan Meridian GPS (it is yellow in color). icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WARedBear:

I don't want to upset any Yellow owners but wow!! I just used my new Meridian GPS to find nine out of nine caches today. The GPS pointed me right to every single one of them to the point I did not have to search. icon_biggrin.gif I used a friends Yellow before and it got me to the general location but then I would have to search...and search. icon_confused.gif So my vote goes to Magellan Meridian GPS (it is yellow in color). icon_razz.gif

That's luck and has nothing to do with the GPS. But your lucky streak will end and your GPs will still serve you well, even if it is a Magellan!

Wherever you go there you are.

I understand totally. Of the nine caches I found today five of them were what I would consider easy. Two were a little harder and two were hard. One was a return visit but thanks to my learning curve (I found a few since then) I walked right up to it. The last one took three of us an hour to find because it was "hidden" so well. My GPS put me right on top of it but I did not see it because it was environmental friendly. I know there will be days that my GPS might fail me and I might feel like throwing it off the nearest mountain but not today. It made me proud....even if it is a Magellan Meridian..... icon_cool.gif

My lil' yellow etrex has always gotten me w/i 6-9 feet of the cache. When I'm within 15ft, I ususally try and find it w/o the unit: I try to find tracks and other "clues" as to where it might be.

The only thing I wish my e-trex did was to input street maps and download various other maps. I will upgrade to another unit, but I will probably always use the e-trex for geocaching.

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!

I wouldn't be shocked if reception were playing a part in it. A person from the Pacific NW where forests are dense had problems with the Etrex.icon_eek.gif No shock here. I bet that the other posters that have no problems don't live in the dense forest areas where it makes a difference.

Just testing out the frog. frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WARedBear:

I have used both the Yellow E-trex and now the meridian gold. While I never had a problem with the Garmin, I do find the Meridian much better under tree cover. I am also using the Topo software-I do not find my self on the wrong side of rever anymore. icon_wink.gif

I can't believe you bought that "filters more" stuff. I'm sure you heard it from another Etrex user.

I'm from Washington, WARedBear is from Washington, I don't see any locations for the rest of the posters except for New Mexico.

If you haven't been in the heavy trees that I've been in, then you won't know what I'm talking about.

I think it's hilarious when people say something like "The antenna thing is a all hype, I've never had any problems with my Etrex..." and I read that they're from some state with few trees or not dense trees, like Utah, Arizona, New Mexico... to name a few. The dense woods I'm talking about are in Western Washington, and I would bet Western Oregon and Northern California. Remember, Seattle is noted for it's rain and we haven't gotten any snow all Winter. We usually only get snow for about 1 week per year. The cedar trees in my yard try to get every bit of sun that they can (that was until I got sick of the shade and had some of them cut down recently).

Besides being a great place to hide a cache, one of the reasons I hid this cache where I did is to mess with the Etrex users. I can pick out an Etrex user when I get a log about how they wandered around and their GPS had problems in the trees. My Mag 315 that I placed it with didn't have problems. Then others say they didn't have any problems I know they at least have a Quad antenna (Garmin or Magellan). One of the geocachers that was complaining about the reception uses a Vista because I hear all the time on this board how wonderful he thinks it is. Which proves to me that most Etrex users that have a hard time in the woods just don't know any better because they haven't tried anything else.

So how do I know most of them were using an Etrex? Because before I ever owned a GPS I wanted a Vista and so I used a friends Etrex yellow and went looking for a couple of caches. The GPS did fine with the ones that were not in the woods, but then I did a cache that was in the dense woods. The squirrels must have been laughing at me going off the trail holding the GPS in the air just looking for a spot between the trees to try to get a signal. That killed the Etrex experience for me. After buying a 315 I saw an incredible difference.

Here's a picture one of the geocachers took. This little woods is not as dense as it can get around here either.741615_200.jpg

[This message was edited by 3fros on March 21, 2003 at 12:26 AM.]

Now I have a little yellow E-Trex and it works just great! I have never used a Magellan, and probably never will.Not because of their accuracy or how fancy their gagets might be icon_rolleyes.gif But simply for the fact they are a French owned Co. icon_mad.gif and as everyone now knows. The French don't support The United States in this war with iraq. Just my opinion, but that's what freedom is all about. Enjoy your Magellans icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif, and I'll stick with my Garmen E-Trex icon_biggrin.gif Now let's all have fun out there!!

Blackfoot icon_wink.gif

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

...I've been in much denser canopy than that...I see lots of daylight in that picture.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but since you say you're only going by your experience, you really don't know what GPS people were using.

My eTrex seem to get pretty darn good lock in most places, yet I read cache logs where people complain about getting poor reception at the same cache under similar conditions.

Now, since I have the lowly patch, how bad must their antennas be? I know some of those folks have a quad helix, but yet they still get poor reception at times.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see any hard evidence here. There are so many variables involved (skill of cacher, sat constellation, time of day, cacher persistence, etc.) that I doubt any conclusions could ever be drawn this way.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

...I've been in much denser canopy than that...I see lots of daylight in that picture.

I have too. Unfortunately this picture is more in a semi clear area and does not give a good representation of the rest of the area, but it's the only picture of the woods I could find in on the page. Remember the aperture of the camera will also adjust to make it the right exposure.

quote:

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but since you say you're only going by your experience, you really don't know what GPS people were using.

True, I don't know what they were ALL using, but I did say "One of the geocachers that was complaining about the reception uses a Vista because I hear all the time on this board how wonderful he thinks it is." I could point out exactly which post, and how he complains about his GPS having him all over the place, but I don't feel like dragging him into this. You might be able to figure it out if you read the posts, but this is not about that geocacher. If he loves his GPS that's his business.

quote:

My eTrex seem to get pretty darn good lock in most places, yet I read cache logs where people complain about getting poor reception at the same cache under similar conditions.

Now, since I have the lowly patch, how bad must their antennas be? I know some of those folks have a quad helix, but yet they still get poor reception at times.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see any hard evidence here. There are so many variables involved (skill of cacher, sat constellation, time of day, cacher persistence, etc.) that I doubt any conclusions could ever be drawn this way.

If you think the patch is superior, then that's great. I agree with Garmin when they claim on their web site that quad helix antenna has superior reception .

By the way, your avatar sure has a lot of sky in the picture. You never did say what state you were from.

I don't know what the photo shows regarding tree cover, but I love the way the dog appears to be posing in front of a very interesting tree base. Great shot.

As for forest density, I haven’t found it particularly hard to find forests where no GPS receiver by garmin or Magellan will work, even in the winter. As for which works better, the more I use multiple units, the more I don’t see a clear enough advantage overall to consider there to be a winner when it comes to geocaching. (For recording tracks there is a fairly big difference) That’s why I take both with me most of the time having used a Sportrak and a legend on 89 caches so far. In some areas one receiver does somewhat better, in other areas it’s the other unit with the edge. In the area where I’ve placed my only cache, Quad antenna receivers seem to have more problems because of the canyons, and mountain side you’re on. (Based on personal experience in the area) This will only be a factor on the way up the side of the hill however, as I deliberately picked a spot for the cache where the snow would melt off early in the season, and people would be able to get good readings with any type receiver.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and HAM. I know full well the pros and cons of different antennas.

What I did say is that the difference is minimal given the DSP, electronics, and software. It's no big deal anymore.

The state that I live in is Texas. That doesn't mean we don't have dense trees, nor does it mean I don't travel to other parts of the US.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

I'm an Electrical Engineer and HAM. I know full well the pros and cons of different antennas.

What I did say is that the difference is minimal given the DSP, electronics, and software. It's no big deal anymore.

The state that I live in is Texas. That doesn't mean we don't have dense trees, nor does it mean I don't travel to other parts of the US.

George

This argument is just ridiculous. So are you saying the DSPs, electronics, and software available today are so amazingly good that no one ever loses reception with dense overhead foliage? Not even close. Since overhead foliage is a huge problem when using a GPS receiver, it's easy to see how even a slightly improved antenna design could improve the user experience under marginal reception conditions.

George, in all your posts, not once have you posted that you've actually used a Magellan 315 receiver side by side with your eTrex. Your conjecture about DSPs and etc is just that. You've managed to imagine that there can't be a difference without putting your theory to the test, while at the same time claiming those of us who have used different receivers side by side are just imagining things.

Scott

The electronics have minimized the necessity for extreme antenna sensitivity. I'm sorry you don't like that fact. People are still finding and placing caches easily with these "inferior" patch antennas. People are still going around in circles with quad-helix. The difference is so minimal its hardly worth arguing about.

As far as using them side by side, yes. Nothing led me to bow to the "superiority" of quad-helix. Yes, in certain sat configurations, one may do better than the other. However, the sat configurations are always changing. So the advantages/disadvantages come and go.

Some people claim the quad-helix is poor in canyons, or where there is a lot of multi-path. Can't say I disagree with them, since quad-helix gives preference to the horizon, and too much gain with multi-path can be a bad thing.

I've used several brands of GPS systems. Each has their own "feel" and characteristics, but they've all done the job. There are several other factors involved that wash out the antenna issue.

But, hey, I guess if you feel so strongly about the antenna issue to put it in your profile, then I doubt you're going to consider any other position.

George

[This message was edited by nincehelser on March 23, 2003 at 02:10 PM.]

Hey 3fros,I live in a place where we have little trees and my legend works great.That's a littletree,right.Oh,and buy the way it's not just trees that grow big around here.ha ha icon_razz.gif

fishin'fool was here!

89927_1200.jpg

[This message was edited by fishin'fool on March 24, 2003 at 10:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by fishin'fool on March 24, 2003 at 10:43 PM.]