New to caching and new to a etrex legend

Tacomahunter

Hello,

As my header states I am new to both and just gout into caching (should I say am getting into it this weekend as we search for our first) When I bought my legend yesterday they were trying to sell me map software (99.99) in addition to the unit itself. I have done alot of looking on this board but I am unable to tell if I need to have this mapping software. I live in the city but dont expect to use it in my car (unless I need to) but like to venture into the outdoors alot. So if I do need it what software do you recommend? Thanks for listening and I welcome your insight.

David

You're referring to the MapSource products.

The eTrex Legend has base maps that come preloaded on the unit. They're very limited, but show most major highways and larger roads. This may be enough for casual use, but MapSource gives you much more detail.

I bought my Legend on 06/01/02, but didn't buy the software at the same time. I'm now using the "MapSource Roads and Recreation" product. I'm not sure if it's still available, but at one time, Garmin was offering a $50 rebate when buying the two products. (Even if purchased separately!)

From what I can tell, all of the MapSource products seem to use the same map data, but each offers different options. For example MetroGuide supports the "Find" function for "Points of Interest" and "Address Lookup" of the GPS while Roads & Recreation does not.

If you visit the MapSource website, you can browse the map data interactively, to see what exactly is available.

I also use the PC portion of the MapSource software, for it's waypoint, track, and route management.

Keep in mind that the Legend only has 8MB of memory. However, with Roads and Recreation, I was able to select areas within about a 150 mile radius of my home before I ran out of memory. (Address/POI data with other Mapsource products like Metroguide may take up more memory.)

True, the software is a bit pricy, but I've found it very useful --- especially when driving.

I've been buying all of my Legend accessories and software at GPSnow.com. Their prices are reasonable, and shipping times are outstanding!

57027_900.gif

I've been using Mapsource Roads and Rec and Topo, and have been pretty happy with both. If you're heading out into the country, though, I'd recommend a real topo map, or, even better, the National Geographic Topo program.

Welcome to geocaching!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

This weekend, thanks to the $50 rebate, I upgraded my Garmin II+ to a Vista. So far I like it a lot.

But I would like the Mapsource software, at least I think I do.

I assume that Mapsource is my only option for uploadable maps.

Is there any place to get this software for less that $90-$100?

That's more money than I can afford right now.

Thanks!

I have found Mapsource software for 76.95 plus $7.00 shipping. That's a few dollars less than $100.00. I have done business with ebay sellers, but I would use caution and always pay with credit card where possible, and before bidding check the sellers feedback for bad comments.

If a seller has one or 2 bad comments in 6 months with hundreds of sauction that one thing, but there are many sellers that have 15, 20 or more bad comments and fewer auctions. I wouldn't do business with them. Good luck in your search.

The Product Wizard

Timothius

An Irish Toast:

"May you be in heaven a half hour before

the Devil knows you're dead"