"Get It Now" Geocaching.com on cell phones.

Glorfindel

I just got a new Verizon cell phone and have been very impressed with it's additional features and capabilities.

One feature is called "Get It Now" (this may be available on other carriers, I am not sure) where you can access a variety of mini applications with a variety of services like local movie times, city guides and directories, games etc.

How wonderful would it be to have Geocaching.com as an available service here? Put in your zip code and it loads the closes 20 caches and descriptions! This could be another bonus added to Premium mebership. Just dreaming, but what to you say Jeremy?

--

'It was my lot to take the Road, and I came to the Bridge of Mitheithel, and left a token there, nigh on seven days ago.'

It can be done. I saw a demonstration during the roll out of Visual Basic.Net that was very similar. Create a database and set it up with a mini-app that allows you to grab the nearest records from your current location. In the case that was demonstrated, they used STarbucks locations.

The database is already here, so all that would be needed is the application for the phone to access the records. Question is, how many people here have the hardware that can actually make use of that, and would they use it?

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

This question has been asked and answered many times.

There once was a wireless version of the site, but honestly it never worked very well so it was euthanized.

Cell access is one of those things that's allegedly coming with the mythical replacement of the site, but at this point, I'm regarding that like a bigfoot sighting. When I see it, I'll believe it.

Yeah but new toys!

Granted PocketQueries through Plucker are wonderful and I use them all the time. But like Bull Moose said, there are times that I find myself with an out of date query or in a location I did not download points for.

Lone Duck, are you a developer? Perhaps we simply need to appeal to the right person to give this a shot.

Thanks for the replies.

--

'It was my lot to take the Road, and I came to the Bridge of Mitheithel, and left a token there, nigh on seven days ago.'

People near me have been working on this issue. I don't want to say too much, but the basic idea is to have an app running on your own server that translates the HTML into WML in realtime and delivers simplified cache pages to your phone.

It seems to me that this is an ideal application to be done by a third party; I don't think Groundspeak should be diverting their attention from the mainstream site for this. Maybe some enterprising individual will start such a service and charge for it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:

Lone Duck, are you a developer? Perhaps we simply need to appeal to the right person to give this a shot

No. I'm more towards networking and PC maitainance. I do agree with Fizzymagic in that it probably should be done by someone outside the website. It would require a way to be able to access the Geocaching.com database in order to give up to date results. Either by directly linking to the database, or copying it onto a different server. Someone providing the cell service could charge for it and perhaps make royalty payments to Geocaching.com.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I have been doing that for some time now... I picked up a Handspring Treo 300 which marries a cell phone and Palm O/S type PDA. It also allows you to connect and log on to the Internet via the phone ‘data mode’ and that allows me to log into geocaching.com from the field if I wish… (.. there have been times I have ‘logged’ my find while sitting on some rock at the cache site).

Toys are great… and remember… the one who has the most toys when they die…WINS!!!

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

It seems to me that this is an ideal application to be done by a third party; I don't think Groundspeak should be diverting their attention from the mainstream site for this. Maybe some enterprising individual will start such a service and charge for it. icon_smile.gif

Better yet, ever thought about making WML output an option in gpx2html? That way, I could create a set of files for WAP at the same time I generate my palm files ... redundancy's nice icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

I have a Blackberry 7230 and was happy to see how well the geocaching web site works on this. The 7230 (mine is through T-Mobile service) has a mini java based browser in it, so now when on the road it is easy to pull up the site, search for caches, enter updates, etc....if you have a Blackberry 7230, try the web browser!