GPS "Jamming" in Iraq?

I remember hearing on the news awhile ago that the Iraquis were employing devices to jam GPS signals. (The GPS is now used for both guiding forces and JDAM bombs.) They said they were aquired from the Russians. Did anyone hear about this, or know how these work?

I'm thinking that what they might do is simple broadcast on the ground a signal that is the same as that generated by the GPS satellites, which would really screw up GPS units within their broadcasting range. (Some cell phone jammers do a similar thing, making it look like there is a tower nearby, and the cell phone focuses on that, and it doesn't respond.)

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy

That was correct, they "jam" the weapon (supposedly) by emitting their own signal on the same frequencies, thereby effectively confusing the processor in the JDAM (or other GPS weapons)with multi-path interference. Two problems....the antenna in a JDAM is in the tail....looking towards the sky as the weapon is falling. Not towards the ground where the jamming signal is coming from. Secondly, the transmitter is easily pointed out with radio frquency tracking equipment, lending itself to easy elimination, if it stays stationary for too long. If it doesn't stay stationary in one place, then it isn't much good that way either, so that is why they were all destroyed so easily. At least that is according to what I read in a U.S. Air Force publication this week.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by The Alpha Operator:

(Some cell phone jammers do a similar thing, making it look like there is a tower nearby, and the cell phone focuses on that, and it doesn't respond.)

Great idea. I need one of those for my car so that everyone driving near me can't get a signal. Maybe then the'll hang up and drive. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

Great idea. I need one of those for my car so that everyone driving near me can't get a signal. Maybe then the'll hang up and drive. icon_smile.gif

There's a guy here at Penn State I know. He had a double-locked metal case he had with him one day. He opened it up, and showed me over $5,000 worth of electronics equipment! One WAS a Cell-Phone jammer! He demonstrated it by turning it on, it totally jammed my Cell phone, I couldn't make an outgoing call!

I would never use one of those in a public place, though, even if the people were really annoying. It could be an important call you're f-ing with there, you know. (Still, it is tempting. There are those ditzy girls who jabber for mintues at a time into their phones. Plus people who SCREAM into the phones.)

Oh yeah, and I think that Jamming cell phones or GPS signals is very illegal.

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy