GARMIN GPS V VS. 76S

mazdamattc

I AM THINKING OF UPGRADING FROM MY OLD LOWRANCE GLOBALNAV200 TO A UNIT WITH MAPPING, WAAS, AND A QUAD-HELIX ANTENNA WITH EXTERNAL OPTION, AND SO HAVE SORT OF NARROWED IT DOWN TO A GARMIN V OR 76S. THE GPS V HAS THE AUTOROUTING FEATURE. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT. IS IT A GIMMICK, OR TRULY USEFUL, ESPECIALLY OUTSIDE MAJOR CITIES. THE 76S HAS AN ELECTRONIC COMPASS AND SMALLER SIZE GOING FOR IT - COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS? I AM NOT COMPLETELY SET ON GARMIN PRODUCTS, EITHER... THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

I just upgraded to a Garmin 76s. I don't need the autorouting capabilities but I really like the compass feature, it will keep you on track in heavy tree cover. I was looking at the eTrex with compass but I wanted to retain the external antenna option, also important to me. I am not familiar with the Garmin V capabilities but I have no complaints about the 76s so far

Cheers

I am a severely patient sort of guy..

quote:
Originally posted by mazdamattc:

THE GPS V HAS THE AUTOROUTING FEATURE. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT. IS IT A GIMMICK, OR TRULY USEFUL, ESPECIALLY OUTSIDE MAJOR CITIES.

I have both the GPS V and the GPSMAP 76S. The autorouting feature is NO gimmick...it truly works and works extremely well. Once you've used this feature while driving, you will be spoiled for life. I think the 76S is larger than the GPS V in both length and width but thinner. I use the GPS V the most from my arsenal...in fact, I have two of them.

And just a friendly note in case you didn't know...using all CAPS in messages is considered shouting or yelling in forums. Let's all be happy. icon_biggrin.gif

Sergey

I like my 76S. But so far, I haven't used any routing at all -- auto or not, because I've just been tooling around the neighborhood looking for caches. Come vacation season, I plan on doing a fair amount of driving. I expect I can probably build my major routes, destinations to hotels and so on, on my laptop, and download to the 76S the night before.

Beyond that, I can pretty much find my way around.

But I wouldn't put much stock in routing anyway. Garmin appears to have a database very similar to Mapquest, Yahoo Maps, etc., which basically suck at getting you there.

For instance: My address on ALL those maps is about 1/4 mile west of where I'm currently typing.

I was routed to a hotel in Pleasanton, CA that was a stoplight further down the road and on the opposite side.

Your mileage may vary. Trust but verify.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

I have had a GPS V for about 5 months now and the auto routing is terriffic.. I have had no problem with it unless there has been recent construction that the CD obviously couldnt have on it. Otherwise it is dead on and far more accurate then Yahoo or mapquest or any of those. When my V says turn left in 23ft.. it means it... I have it hooked to an external antenna and it does more then I ever hoped it would. I turn it on even when im not routing because it has the next street indicator always runnign so even when im just driving aorund I can always see what is ahead and sometimes that is all you need! GPS V all the way, I also have a GPS 76 (not S or Map) and I use tat as my primary handgeld and for my Kayak... it works well but if a far cry from my V which does it all and more for me!

I have this device since the first day it came out in europe....somewhere june last year....and I enjoy every minute with it.

I can load much more maps (the city select cd from garmin takes up much more space (needed points for the routing) for the same area as the R&R or Metro Guide does), I use the altimeter a lot, the electronic compass is the thing I like the best while stroling around...

Further more the 76 s Floats...! It saved me from buying a new one when I was in the marina and dropped it over the side....if it would have sunk the 14 meters down it would surely be ruind....

If you are looking for an autorouting gps get the V. Otherwise I would vote for the 76 S.

You can also check out these groups at yahoo:

garmin map 76 S group

garmin V group

Hope my input helps you a bit to dicide...