Cant get my computer to talk to my Garmin Venture

Lookout Lisa

I have only owned my Venture for about a week, and I have been trying to download updates from Garmin and also use EasyGPS. Neither application can recognize my GPS!

I get the error with EasyGPS:

Msg: GetPacketOrTimeoutNoAck - timeout!-#22

Msg: GPSBeginTransaction - bad send packet-#22

Msg: No data was received from the GPS!

(Error #22)

I have the interface set to Garmin, new batteries, and the power on. I'm using the serial cable that came with it. I have windows 2000 professional. Any help or advice would be great!!

lisa4pride

Have you selected the correct GPS?

In EasyGPS, open File/Preferences, then check that you've set it to Garmin eTrex (new models).

Then select the proper COM port.

The baud rate is automatically set to 9600 baud.

Next, open GPS and select Test serial connection. Click OK, then watch it trying to check that the port is free, and in the next step identify your GPS.

Anders

before i exchanged my venture for a legend, my venture had this problem as well. I took a small pair of pliers and pulled gently on the gold ribbon contacts of the end that connects to the gps. I plugged it back into yonder venture and everything was fine.

your mileage may vary...

-zr

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Have you selected the correct GPS?

In EasyGPS, open File/Preferences, then check that you've set it to Garmin eTrex (new models).

Then select the proper COM port.

The baud rate is automatically set to 9600 baud.

Next, open GPS and select Test serial connection. Click OK, then watch it trying to check that the port is free, and in the next step identify your GPS.

Anders

Thanks Anders for your reply, but I have done all of those, running the test multiple times. I also gently tugged on the connectors on the cable to no avail.

I should also note that I have disabled my PDA Hotsync. I just got off of the phone with Garmin, and they think that the cable is shorting. We were able to get the GPS and my computer to communicate through an application called HyperTerminal, but only sporadically. They are sending a new cable, so I'll post the results in a few days when it comes.

Thanks all for replying!

Hi everyone,

I received my new serial cable yesterday from Garmin, and it worked like a charm on the first try! I downloaded all my waypoints to the EasyGPS application, and then uploaded the Garmin upgrade, which of course wiped all user data.

I had a little trouble uploading my waypoints again from EasyGPS (more error messages), so I turned the unit off and on, and it then worked fine. It was so easy to just click on the cache page to download the data, instead of manually entering the coordinates.

On another note (perhaps I'll start a new thread), is there a way to export the data in EasyGPS (or another even better application?) to a format that MSAccess will import? I've got my boss hooked now (work related application of the GPS), and he and I want more info...

Thanks again!

lisa4pride

I am not sure about EasyGPS (or ExpertGPS, which I own and am trying to figure out), but you can save your GPS info as text files through the GPS TrackMaker program. I know little (nothing) about Access, but was told that Access can use text separated by commas.

(FYI - I have a Venture and I think it is a really cool little thingy!)

... icon_wink.gif

I am not sure about EasyGPS (or ExpertGPS, which I own and am trying to figure out), but you can save your GPS info as text files through the GPS TrackMaker program. I know little (nothing) about Access, but was told that Access can use text separated by commas.

... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trailkat:

... icon_wink.gif

Hey thanks Trailkat for the info -I'll look into it!

lisa4pride

quote:
Originally posted by trailkat:

... icon_wink.gif

Hey thanks Trailkat for the info -I'll look into it!

lisa4pride