Etrex Legend Screen Scramble

ToddP

My eTrex Legend screen has decided to check out. It is less than 2 yrs old but older than the 1 yr warranty. Garmin wants $100 to refurbish the unit. What a rip. No way should I have to pay $100 to fix a unit that is not all that old.

Garmin Customer Service.... stinks in my mind.

$25! I'll pay shipping! LOL!

Just do it. Garmin customer service is fine, it's the price you are concerned about. They gotta make money, they're a business after all.

You can't buy a Yellow Non-WAAS etrex in the average store for that price. You might on EBay, but that's used too.

$100 is worth it - that's only 12.5 movie tickets! Cut your moviegoing budget by a movie a month and go Caching instead!

Just My Humble Opinion.

Rayt333 - I'll buy it from you for $25... icon_wink.gif

OddTodd

My Legend's screen also just decided to "check out." Streaks across the front. I just so happened to be loading 8mb worth of Metro and Topo data, so it'd been on for a while.

I tried doing the Master Reset 4-finger solute. Tried reflashing it with 3.20. Tried loading the base POI mapset. Tried another set of rechargables. Tried a brand new set of Alkaline. Just toast (streaks and I can just barely make out what screen I'm on or what menu item I have selected).

It was working fine just 3 hours ago when I first put it on the table and I was poking around the menus waiting for Mapsource to ready what it was going to send, and I noticed the streaks, but didn't think much of it as it was going to start transmitting...

Wish me luck contacting Garmin tomorrow. I bought this about 9 months ago from Circuit City. Don't know if I still have the receipt (probably mailed it in for the Rebate, so Garmin should at least know who I am), but perhaps I can get another copy from Circuit City (they store all that stuff and can pull it up so long as you have the same credit card).

Way bummed as I was hoping to snag a few caches tomorrow in SF. Oh well.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Heh, so I figured, this puppy is getting mailed in anyway, might as well try giving it a few sharp hits...

Gripping the Legend firmly in my right hand I hit the left side against the palm of my left hand (not too hard, but a good firm jolt). Streaks cleared up for a second, then came back. Gave it a few more wacks, went away again until I repositioned my hand on the unit.

Pushing my fingers against different parts of the screen don't seem to "break" it again... hmrm.

I'll be keeping a good eye on this puppy the next few days. I'd rather have it get swapped out before the warranty runs out if it is acting flakey :/

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

The lines in the display are a known problem that's caused by bad contacts on the ribbon cable connection to the display.

There was a recent post on the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup by someone who took his Legend apart and firmly reseated the ribbon cable to correct the problem. This might be worth a try if your unit is out-of-warranty.

Anyone seeing the lines appear while their unit is still under warranty should definitely send it in since the problem is likely to get worse over time.

Well, thank the gods for this thread, and the related one embra cross-referenced. This has started happening on our E-Trex Venture. A firm but gentle slap to the side has brought it back to normal. We're also having the joystick-sticking problem. Once, freeing the joystick also restored the display. The Venture's less than a year old, but it was a present so we don't have a receipt. Might not be able to get it serviced, I figure. This has made me wonder if I should consider getting a Magellan. Any thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by The Alethiometrists:

Well, thank the gods for this thread, and the related one embra cross-referenced. This has started happening on our E-Trex Venture. A firm but gentle slap to the side has brought it back to normal. We're also having the joystick-sticking problem. Once, freeing the joystick also restored the display. The Venture's less than a year old, but it was a present so we don't have a receipt. Might not be able to get it serviced, I figure. This has made me wonder if I should consider getting a Magellan. Any thoughts?

I just RMA'd my unit as the screen streaking has gotten more and more frequent, and I'm getting near my one year anniversary. I suggest just emailing their tech support (I think you just submit a webform on their webpage) and tell them about the problems. 2-3 days later I got an email back saying it would need to be mailed in and giving me an RMA number. They didn't ask for the receipt, but I'm sure they could tell from the serial number approximately when it was made. I suggest getting yours RMA'd before the warranty runs out.

I just mailed mine in today, so, fingers crossed that I get it back in a timely manner. I'm going to go through caching withdrawals this weekend...

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Jason, Thanks for your post - it's reassuring to know Garmin won't need a receipt. Funny thing, though, is that the problem totally stopped happening after doing it frequently over several days. By the time I posted the previous post (6/13), it had already happened for the last time (knock wood). We got it for Christmas last year, so we've got a while to decide.

BTW, that problem with the joy-stick seems to be a software problem, not a harder problem. I've discovered that two things often work: 1) turning on the display light (why? who knows?); and 2) going to the map screen and switching to "pan map" (if you can get to it with your joystick stuck).

icon_mad.gif

I had the same screen scramble as everyone else. Thank God for this forum to see that it wasn't just me. If I turned my light on and off it would correct but not for long. I tried the twist to no avail. It was the old fashioned slap on the left hand that worked for me. Luckily it is still under warranty and I sent it in last week icon_frown.gif

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

Got my GPSr back from RMA yesterday. As far as I can tell, this is a totally new unit and they just transfered my memory chip(s) over (I have all my same waypoints, routes, plus 8mb worth of Metro and Topo maps). I can't see them spending 3 hours to transfer the maps, which is why I'm guessing they are able to just move the memory chip(s).

Another way I know it is a new unit is that the serial number in the battery compartment and the Unit ID reported from the setup menu are new, plus the thing just has that new smell/feel.

Not a bad turn-around as I sent it USPS on the 6/25 and got it back on the 7/5 via FedEx (signature required, but we didn't make it to the door in time, but they left it anyway). 8 days without my GPSr was hard, but I managed somehow.

Thumbs up for Garmin support icon_smile.gif

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Elmo - you got a refurbished unit. I know, the same thing happened when I sent my unit in for repairs. They just transferred my waypoints and routes to a refurbished unit and sent it to me. I know it was a refurbished unit because it came with a bunch of topo maps loaded in the Texas area, plus it was a different serial number. icon_smile.gif

That's probably how Garmin has such a fast turnaround on 'repairs'. Why make the customer wait while repairs are being done when you can send out a nice refurbished unit as a replacement.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Aren't you guys a little concerned about getting a refurbished unit?

What if it's like four years old or something? Mine is only 6 months old and if a different serial number comes back, Garmin will be getting a phone call for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by Taxman003:

Aren't you guys a little concerned about getting a refurbished unit?

What if it's like four years old or something? Mine is only 6 months old and if a different serial number comes back, Garmin will be getting a phone call for sure.

Did you bother to read the warranty?

Note the part about where they will repair or replace at their "sole" option

That means they can replace the unit instead of repairing it.

What is your warranty policy?

GARMIN's Limited Warranty Policy warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, GARMIN International Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacements will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor; however, the customer shall be responsible for any transportation costs. This warranty does not cover failures due to abuse, misuse, accident, or unauthorized alterations or repairs. GARMIN International, Inc. assumes no responsibility for special, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages, or loss of use.

If they give me a year's warranty that might be fine, but I would still be asking them how old the replaced unit was. Also, they are free to replace it if they see fit, but what about a brand new one as opposed to a refurbished one?

quote:
Originally posted by Taxman003:

If they give me a year's warranty that might be fine, but I would still be asking them how old the replaced unit was. Also, they are free to replace it if they see fit, but what about a brand new one as opposed to a refurbished one?

Your warranty only covers the first unit you buy, not the refurbished one. Look it up. Plus the warranty covers "..any components.." The entire unit cannot be considered a component. A component is a microprocessor, transistor, resistor, etc, so technically they cannot replaced the unit with a refurbished one. They can only refurbish yours.

Well, I'm very pleased with Garmin service so far. They took care of our "ol' yeller" unit, which was having the unresponsive button problem (which appears to be related to the screen scramble problem), even though those units don't have serial numbers, and we didn't have a receipt (it was a Christmas present from last year). Now that we have a functioning back-up, we're sending in our eTrex Venture, which has both the 'screen scramble' and unresponsive button problems. This one has a serial number which ties to the sales record, so there was no issue with the warranty (this was also a Christmas '02 present).

I noticed all the waypoints on the "ol' yeller" were gone when it came back - but there were only a few entered on that unit (and I think only one with a name, "home," as opposed to a default number). Hopefully, the Venture(which has a large number of waypoints stored, plus a couple of routes) will keep its memory, but just in case, I wrote down the info on the ones I cared most about before packing it up.

I just expressed mailed my 2 legend units to garmin for screen scramble, unresponsive buttons and rubberband problems. One unit is in waranantee and when I played dumb and said they were bought abount a month from eachtother they said no problem and RMA'd them both. So hopefully when they both return repaired I can say good things about garmin for a change icon_smile.gif

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Alethiometrists:

I noticed all the waypoints on the "ol' yeller" were gone when it came back - but there were only a few entered on that unit (and I think only one with a name, "home," as opposed to a default number). Hopefully, the Venture(which has a large number of waypoints stored, plus a couple of routes) will keep its memory, but just in case, I wrote down the info on the ones I cared most about before packing it up.

Didn't the Venture come with a cable to connect to your computer? All you need to do is open EasyGPS and you can download all your waypoints to it and save then on your HD, then load them back to the GPS anytime you need them. This also works for the "ole yeller".

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:
All you need to do is open EasyGPS and you can download all your waypoints to it and save then on your HD, then load them back to the GPS anytime you need them. This also works for the "ole yeller".

Oops - I have the cable, but I've never used it, or Easy GPS. I've always been one to read cache pages and hand-pick the ones I want to go for. I guess I should figure how to do downloads - and uploads (for times like these). At least I have all the stages of all the caches I own. If I don't get the others back, I can consider it housecleaning, I guess.

Update: Just got our Venture back from warranty service. Garmin was great once again, and all our waypoints are still there! This is especially good to see, since I can tell it's a different exterior (there was this scratch that's not there anymore). In the meanwhile, our other unit, a basic yellow eTrex, performed just fine post-op, and allowed me to find some caches while I was waiting. icon_biggrin.gif

-------------

"Thos' Degrees of Longitude and Latitude in Name, yet in Earthly reality are they Channels mark'd for the transport of some unseen Influence, one carefully assembl'd chain…"

– Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon