Mapsource Routing grrrrrr

Does anyone have any pointers for using routing in Mapsource? There's a few peeves I have with it, that I haven't been able to get around:

It's astoundingly stoopid (sic) at picking routes automatically, where it'll pick 2-lane roads over divided highways. Is there a way to say, "Use this road within the route" or do I have to specify waypoints along the way?

It provides really poor descriptions of the legs of the route when downloaded to my GPSMAP 76S -- 80 miles of Interstate 43 were labeled as "Ramp". Can I relabel things, specify how it labels, etc., so I can have it say "Right onto I43" instead?

Is there any way to printout the driving instructions, a la Yahoo! Maps or Mapquest?

Thanks,

Joel

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

Gpo to Edit - Preferences - Autorouting for a few options you might find helpful.

Beyond that what I do after it route on the PC is to grab the route and drag it to a road I want. That helps. I find also on long trip to disregard the auto routing especially area I'm familiar with. I tend to use it towards the end when I'm not familiar with the area.

It's not perfect for sure but none of the autorouting programs I've seen ever pick the roads I would drive on! icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

+ Is there any way to printout the driving instructions, a la Yahoo! Maps or Mapquest?

The 5.03 beta version finally has a Print button on the Route Directions screen and I find it works fairly well - but sometimes generates an extra page just for the compass bearing column which I don't usually want anyway.

Prior to 5.03 I used the PC "Prnt Scrn" key to save the Route Directions to the clipboard and pasted it into Word or similar for printing.

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

+ It's astoundingly stoopid (sic) at picking routes automatically, where it'll pick 2-lane roads over divided highways.

I've noticed that, too, and haven't figured out a way to force it to take the obvious route.

If it's any consolation, I tested Mapsource on a Garmin V next to an $1800 in-car Navtech system and, except for speed of calculation, Mapsource fared very well. Indeed, in one case where I was about 3 miles from the destination, Mapsource took me directly there whereas Navtech had a glitch in the road intersections (there was a gap between intersecting roads) and wanted to go 84 miles to the destination!

Navtech also allows a string of destinations on the same route which can be handy. I wish Mapsource did this.

The only automatic control you have is changing the relative speeds of certain kinds of roads under the Autorouting preferences. I've gotten it to do what I want sometimes by increasing the speed on highways and decreasing the regular roads.

As for the multi-destinations, isn't that just vias which you can add to the route in Mapsource (and I think in the V as well).

One time I went on a 200 mile trip, trip there planned out well, trip back kept wanting me to go on side roads several miles off track. I went through my settings on my GPS V and realized that all my settings were right... EXCEPT ONE! It was the screen that has "faster time", "Shorter Distance" and "Off Road". I had the GPS set to Pedestrian, not Car. If you look there, it has several strange options, bike, taxi, bus, delivery, truck and emergency. I tested a few of them and they did result in different routes. Make sure all the settings are cool!

quote:
Originally posted by euchomai:

One time I went on a 200 mile trip, trip there planned out well, trip back kept wanting me to go on side roads several miles off track. I went through my settings on my GPS V and realized that all my settings were right... EXCEPT ONE! It was the screen that has "faster time", "Shorter Distance" and "Off Road". I had the GPS set to Pedestrian, not Car. If you look there, it has several strange options, bike, taxi, bus, delivery, truck and emergency. I tested a few of them and they did result in different routes. Make sure all the settings are cool!

Interesting. I noticed those settings before but have never played with them.

I wonder if "TRUCKS" would force the unit to use major hightways?

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."