Serial to USB converter.. another one that works

Just to let people know there is another option. (part # and web page at bottom if you want to skip)

I got my Garmin Emap today (which is very cool icon_smile.gif ), and could not find the Belkin serial to USB many have been suggesting (could not find any actually).

As a last resort, I went to Radio Shack. They had a Radio Shack model in stock, and a bit cheaper than the Belkins people have been recomending (about $40). It claims PDA, label prionter, and digital camera compatible.

Hooked it up to my Sony laptop (with windows XP) installed the driver, loaded M$ Streets and Trips, changed to NMEA, and it crashed... However, I never rebooted after install. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_smile.gif After it came back up, I restarted Street and Trips and if found it right away and has worked perfect ever since.

Radio Shack's part number:

26-183

web page:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=26%2D183

Hope this helps some people.

quote:
Originally posted by euchomai:

I went to comp usa and found one by a company called iConcepts, it was $25 and works perfectly with my mac.

Do you happen to know the model number? I'm always interested in stuff that is known to work with Macs. What MacOS are you running?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Here is a link to the product, I've even tested it further and it is working flawlessly when the gps is tracking live on the computer too. It is running just as if i've plugged it into a PC. I run OS X.2.6, and am using Virtual PC 6 with the driver for the usb device installed in both OS X and Windows 2000. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=284605&pfp=SEARCH This price listed here is $5 higher than I paid in the OKC, OK store.

I'll toss one on the pile.

The iogear works with not problems for me. (OSX 10.2.6)

IT might be useful if people posted how big the various adapters are.

The smaller the better as far as I'm concerned.

The iogear is about half the size of my old keyspan highspeed adapter. It also had an green LED which shows if data is being transferred. Very useful when you're trying to figure out if your computer is communicating with your GPSr.

Been a while since I had a keyspan adapter but as I recall it didn't have a light.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I have three that I will sell for $40.00 each. In fact, I can get many more.

Of course, I bought them -NEW- for about $13.00 each, so to be fair, the $40.00 will INCLUDE shipping.

Or you could go search for them yourself, and save $23.00 each.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by ptv99jgc:

(A)Are you getting higher transfer speeds using a USB converter, or (B)are you using the converter because you do not have a serial connector on your laptop?

I'll take "B" for $50, Alex.

No recent Mac that I've seen has a PC-type serial connector. They used to have a round mini-din for MoDem's, but hey that was last century! Everthing's USB these days... well, just not our GPS cables!

MTGC-bug.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ptv99jgc:

Stupid question as I am not quite as computer saavy as some others.

Are you getting higher transfer speeds using a USB converter, or are you using the converter because you do not have a serial connector on your laptop?

Thanks,

Paul

I connect mine to a super slim laptop while driving. Only way to get a serial port is with a port replicator, which I did not get.

Thanks for the quick answers to the port question. I have a Dell that has both serial and USB ports and was hoping I could speed up my mapset uploads. I did not see how it would work since it still went through a serial connection, but I had my hopes.

Paul

I emailed Garmin about this a while back. They said they had to use serial ports to coply with some government regulation that I think was marine based. I can not locate the e-mail that gave specifics, but they said they had no choice. Why they can not have both was not answered.

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Had time to look it up today. I must apologize, I had the price WRONG. You will not save $23.00. You will only save $22.55. Sorry for the mistake.

I bought my cables HERE.

Hope this helps.....

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:

quote:

Had time to look it up today. I must apologize, I had the price _WRONG._ You will not save $23.00. You will only save $22.55. Sorry for the mistake.

I bought my cables http://shopnow123.safeshopper.com/2/286.htm?878

Hope this helps.....

El Paso, Texas.

Thanks DW, I just ordered one.

GF

===========================================

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Seeing as a few others added what works for them, I'll add the one I just got yesterday. It was pricey, but it works. It is a KEYSPAN USB Serial Adapter. It was $49.99 at Frys, but after reading about how some adapters weren't working with GPSrs, I was encouraged by the compatiblity part:

"For use with all RS-232 serial devices including modems, graphics tablets, digital cameras, serial PDAs, GPS devices, cell phones, hand held scanners, point of sale devices, data acquisition devices, UPS devices, medical and scientific instrumentation, and other serial devices."

On one other note, mine was working fine with the Magellan MapSend - but I was getting error messages with EasyGps. It might be redundant to add, but maybe it will save someone the headache to note that the baud rate had to be set at 4800 to work. I think the default was something like 9600 on the EasyGPS preferences, but once I selected 4800 the data flowed. I wonder if the baud could be boosted on the GPSr (Sportrak Pro)? Has anybody selected a higher baud rate and had it work with a corresponding higher baud rate on EasyGPS? Just a curiosity. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'm happy with the Keyspan, although I think the price is way too much. I'm sure the $30 units do the same exact thing and are just as reliable. Cheers!

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

quote:
Had time to look it up today. I must apologize, I had the price _WRONG._ You will not save $23.00. You will only save $22.55. Sorry for the mistake.

I bought one of these to try on my Mac. Regardless of what the page specs said, there was no software/drivers for the Mac on the CD. Running MacOS 9.1 on 8500 with G3/500 card and USB card upgrades. Mac wouldn't recognize it at all.

Long story short - customer service is sending me this one at no extra charge.

USB to Serial Adapter

They guaranteed it to work. We'll see.

'Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.' - Anonymous

quote:

Hope this helps.....

El Paso, Texas.

QUOTE]

Received mine today. Works with everything I've tried so far.

HARDWARE

Garmin eTrex Legend

Dell Laptop

SOFTWARE

EasyGPS

USA PhotoMaps

MS Streets & Trips 2003

Thanks again DW. This is a nice adapter. Good price to boot.

GF

===========================================

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Naaaa.... if it helps everyone out, I am happy to do it.

Contrary to popular thought, I am only a jerk to the folks who are worse than jerks. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry it don't work with a MAC.

El Paso, Texas.