PalmPilot GPS

Guest PalmTroy

Guest PalmTroy

I Just got a Rand McNally GPS reciever for my Palm III as a gift and was wondering what software would be the best to use for Goecaching? The software that comes with it isn't good for much except traveling the highways.

This thing was free and I would like to try it out at Geocaching, so please don't tell me just about how bad it is.

Thanx

Guest ajkwan

whoa, another Palm IIIxe/RandMcNally user... that makes what, all two of us? icon_wink.gif

I use Delorme's Solus Pro, although I'm pretty sure Quo Vadis would work too... bear in mind, these programs only give you your present coordinates, your speed, and direction moving... everyone speaks of waypoints, and entering in your destination coordinate to calculate how far you are... me, i don't get that fancy schmany stuff... hehe. Also, the RandMcNally GPS takes FOREVER and a day to get satellite locks... I'm serious, sometimes its like 5 minutes in beautiful clear skies before you get anything.

i just keep going until my coordinate matches with the coordinates on the geocaching webpage... can't wait til the meredian's come out... mmm!

Guest ajkwan

whoa, another Palm IIIxe/RandMcNally user... that makes what, all two of us? icon_wink.gif

I use Delorme's Solus Pro, although I'm pretty sure Quo Vadis would work too... bear in mind, these programs only give you your present coordinates, your speed, and direction moving... everyone speaks of waypoints, and entering in your destination coordinate to calculate how far you are... me, i don't get that fancy schmany stuff... hehe. Also, the RandMcNally GPS takes FOREVER and a day to get satellite locks... I'm serious, sometimes its like 5 minutes in beautiful clear skies before you get anything.

i just keep going until my coordinate matches with the coordinates on the geocaching webpage... can't wait til the meredian's come out... mmm!

Guest PalmTroy

I know what you mean about taking forever to lock on to satellites, usually I start up with GPS Manager to find and lock them then switch to another program.

I found a new program lastnight to use with it called PathAway. http://www.pathaway.com

It has all the features of a regular GPS plus a whole lot more. It will allow you to put in waypoints and it will direct you as you go.

Guest cedricmackay

ng website can't wait to play with it even thought I have read a lot of bad reviews on the software i comes with so i will have to try out the ones you have suggested

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by cedricmackay:

I pick up one of the Rand Mcnally gps for my palm 3 on e-bay for $18 ...

WoW ... that's a major drop in the original price ... from when I tried one for my Palm V ... for 24 hours and sent it back in dismay. Next thing you see them being given away in "Happy Meals". For $18 ... you haven't risked much ... so you might enjoy playing with it for awhile ... I just couldn't believe the time it took to get a lock ... not minutes ... but days (not really... just seemed that way) .... the software had so many bugs ... and when I called their offices ... they told me to down load a total of SIX PATCHES ... can you believe it ... that was the last straw ... luckily I bought it from the GPS Store and they have a 30 day return policy.

When you get it ... how about posting here just to see how you like it ... just curious.

Guest PalmTroy

Mine is working excellent, I have tracked down 5 Caches so far with amazing accuracy.

Your right about it taking forever to lock onto sattelites, but that is only for the first time you turn it on, I think it goes through a power up check or something, but once it locks on it really holds on to them.

I scrapped the software that came with mine and loaded the PathAway software, had to set the baud rate at 4800 in the configuration of the software for it to recognize the GPS unit. PathAway can be downloaded at http://www3.sympatico.ca/pathaway/index.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PalmTroy

Guest cedricmackay

I just got my streetfinder gps and your right the first time I powered it up it took forever to lock onto the sats after the first time it would lock onto them rather quickly and it keeps a good lock on them I walked into the woods behind my house and it still worked rather well. I downloaded Quo Vadis its works great going to try pathways tonight. =-)

Guest cedricmackay

Does any one know if there is a program for the palm III that you can just put the cordinates in and it will direct you to the cordinates with out using a map or haveing to load maps?

Guest The Badger

I've been using the Palm IIIc with Solus Pro and Delorme Topo software. This software is fairly expensive at $99 per 7 CD's. It takes 2 CD's to cover all of California. But, then it's an exact map to the Topo Quads produced. I print a copy of the map I download to the Palm so it is at the same scale, etc. Maybe an initial slow lockon, but otherwise I'm very satisfied.

Guest The Badger

I just like to be able to look at the map in the display and a dot tells you where you are. I print a map to carry along so that I can see a much larger area. A 7 1/2 min topo map will do this too as it is the same map.