Magellan Meridian Platinum

Guest bozly

Hello everybody!

I currently own a Magellan Map 410 unit, but I would like to upgrade to a better product. My mom runs an outdoor store that sells Magellan products, and from what I can see the Meridian Platinum should be available on Dec. 1. What is everyone's opinion on whether or not I should spring for the Platinum, Gold, or maybe another unit all together???? Please help me! I really want a new unit, but I don't want to buy a lemon product....grin icon_smile.gif Thanks!

Bozly

Guest ClayJar

The Meridian GPS is great if you're only going to be using detail maps, but if you want the better basemap, the Meridian Gold is the receiver of choice. If you just *must* have an electronic compass (why?) and barometer (likely a barometric altimeter, but the marketroids that run the site are apparently not too thmart), the Meridian Platinum is there for you.

The one caveat of the Meridians right now is that distribution of the MapSend Topo software has been temporarily suspended so they can fix a lock-up bug. There are plenty of people who can help you through that for now until it's rereleased in patched form.

The GPS V does have two things the Meridians don't have: (1) a detachable antenna and (2) automatic turn-by-turn directions. However, it does not use memory cards. I really like the ability to have several cards of maps for those cross-country trips (since I haven't a laptop to bring). Also, I've dropped my Meridian a few times (I'm exceptionally clumsy at times), and it's none the worse for wear; I don't know of anyone who's dropped their GPS V from waist height directly on the antenna, but if anyone does, I'd like to hear whether it breaks something (it looked like the potential weakest-link in the GPS V chain).

I admit that the turn-by-turn directions are nice, but I've never had a problem using my detail maps, and it almost seems that, at least for geocaching, it might make it just a little too easy... nah.

(Oh, and wasn't this just ever so slightly more helpful than "Get the Garmin GPS V!! icon_smile.gif" or something to that effect? tongue.gif )

Guest JollyBGood

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

Get the Garmin GPS V!! icon_smile.gif

Ditto on that! The more I use my GPS V the more I love it. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's not often a product surpasses your expectations. I always thought the GPS V looked clunky and award in the pictures I'd seen of it but it really does grow on you.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

The Meridian GPS is great if you're only going to be using detail maps, but if you want the better basemap, the Meridian Gold is the receiver of choice. If you just *must* have an electronic compass (why?) and barometer (likely a barometric altimeter, but the marketroids that run the site are apparently not too thmart), the Meridian Platinum is there for you.

Ok-I will grant you that the Gold is a nice unit. BUT, for the additional $30 to get an altimeter (most likely) and electronic compass that is a pretty good deal. Also since the Platinum is *supposed* to be shipping next week - it makes it a valid choice. You may have no hills/mountains to speak of in LA, but the left and right sides (and a bit of the middle) of the US do - and it is fun to see how high you dragged your sorry body up to get to the top of the mountain.

You could also purchase these gadgets separatly (though you should ALWAYS have a standard compass with you) - and I believe that the cost will come out to more than the $30 extra for the Platinum.

And I like the color. icon_smile.gif

Laurie

(still waiting on the Platinum)

Guest Hamster

I really like the idea of an electronic compass, I wish my GPS V had one, thats the major thing I DON'T like about it. As for an altimiter, I'm sure for some people its a very cool feature to have, however back when I had my old Yellow Etrex, I took a trip to Utah. Unlike my native Ohio, Utah has mountains. While there, I took a hike with the GeoCache, we went up a mountain just outside of Park City, and I watched my altitude go from 7500ft to 8000ft. I guess the accuracy on a GPS fix altitude is not so good, but it was enough to make me happy. icon_smile.gif

If the meridian did Auto-routing, I'd have gone for the Meridian for sure, I like the idea of removeable memory. Garmin should use Compact Flash memory.

OT: Interestingly, we had bought water bottles up in the mountains. As we drove back down into the Valley where Salt Lake City it, the bottles collapsed in on themselves due to the pressure difference!

Cool huh?

heheh

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

And I like the color. icon_smile.gif

Well, considering that's the real reason I got a Meridian Gold over a plain Meridian GPS, I guess I can grant you that point. As for the altimeter, if it's worth $30 for the priviledge of augmenting the GPS altitude calculations, by all means go for it. (One size fits all is a myth that makes my head hurt, mainly because every time I get a hat that says "one size fits all", it doesn't include me in "all", and my head's not that big.)

You guys (and gals) have been of great help to me!! Thanks everybody! I think I will have to go with the Meridian Platinum, and just hope that the software issues are resolved ASAP. Plus the fact that I can get it for ~$175 helps in my decision. (Employee pro orders are a wonderful thing icon_smile.gif ) Cheers everybody!

Bozly

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Well, considering that's the real reason I got a Meridian Gold over a plain Meridian GPS, I guess I can grant you that point. As for the altimeter, if it's worth $30 for the priviledge of augmenting the GPS altitude calculations, by all means go for it. (One size fits all is a myth that makes my head hurt, mainly because every time I get a hat that says "one size fits all", it doesn't include me in "all", and my head's not that big.)

Oh??? icon_wink.gif

Hey I have to justify the month+ wait and extra cost somehow icon_wink.gif

Laurie

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 30 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 30 November 2001).]

Guest prv8eye

over a plain Meridian GPS, I guess I can grant you that point. As for the altimeter, if it's worth $30 for the priviledge of augmenting the GPS altitude calculations, by all means go for it. [/i] big.)[/b]

I gave a LOT of thought to the Platinum but after reading many comments in this forum on built in barometers and compass I decided to go for the Gold. (I also didn't want to wait )

Although the specs claim that the Platinum battery life is just as long as the Gold I don't understand how this could be so while running the additional features.

I suppose these features can be turned off and I wonder if they measured the battery life of the Platinum that way to get the results. Perhaps the difference is so small it doesn't matter.

I also don't understand the delay in releasing the Platinum and wonder if that was just some kind of marketing tool.

I look forward to reading this forum to find out the results reported by actual, unbiased, users.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

I look forward to reading this forum to find out the results reported by actual, unbiased, users.

You have such a way with words. So just regular users would not be enough - they have to be unbiased as well? The fact that they ponyed up $300+ for a GPS unit kinda makes them a bit biased icon_wink.gif

Laurie

Guest prv8eye

quote:

You have such a way with words. So just regular users would not be enough - they have to be unbiased as well? The fact that they ponyed up $300+ for a GPS unit kinda makes them a bit biased icon_wink.gif

Laurie

What I meant was that I'd like to hear reports from owners of the unit rather than from the maker of the unit who's trying to sell it.

I disagree that all owners will be biased simply because they own it. I've read numerous complaints on this forum of owners who spent big bucks on a GPS and were disappointed in some way.

That is what stopped me from buying the Vista and convinced me to wait for the Meridian Gold.

I do agree with you that some people are very brand loyal but I do NOT understand why.

Manufacturers should be loyal to their customers and give them discounts on software or upgrades and good customer service. In the abscense of that, I see NO reason for customers feeling "loyal" to any company simply for selling them something expensive. I just don't get that.

I love my Meridian but if Garmin or anyone else made a unit that I thought would serve me better, and I could afford it, I would buy that unit today. I don't owe any loyalty to Magellan.

In my opinion the real idiots are those who PAY for clothing with a company name on it.

WHERE is the logic in paying a business to advertise for them??? They should pay YOU to wear their shirt or hat, right?

When I see someone who's advertising a company or business name on their body, and I find out that they PAID for the shirt or hat, the only thing that comes to mind is that old Bugs Bunny line "What a maroon"

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest ClayJar

I find that most of the brand loyalty in GPS receivers around here is due to the completely different design ideologies. Magellan receivers all tend toward a common line, while Garmins tend toward a couple other common lines (the eTrexes and GPS V obviously aren't the same family; the GPS V actually is almost Magellanic in many ways).

People stay loyal to a GPS manufacturer not out of some Freudian complex, but rather because once you've found something you like (for whatever reason, including color), you tend to stay with similar things.

Well, that and we're just plain better than you. icon_smile.gif

quote:

As a FYI, I just got off the phone with the people at Online Marine - looks like the Meridian Platinum is delayed until January 1, 2002...

Laurie

You may want to check with other dealers or with Magellan. just to be sure......

Guest honeypie72

I know a few weeks ago when I ordered a gold.....from The GPS store......they also said it would be first part of january. icon_frown.gif Mine is a gift so just got the gold.....

quote:
Originally posted by camckee:

amazon says ready to ship in 2 to 3 days...

Humm - you don't purchase much from Amazon do you? A "ready to ship in 2 to 3 days" translates to: "we think the item is going to ship at some time, the vendor has assured us that the item exists, you may receive it within the next 6 weeks"

Basically it validates the "about January" timeframe that I have been seeing..

Laurie

Guest prv8eye

quote:

As a FYI, I just got off the phone with the people at Online Marine - looks like the Meridian Platinum is delayed until January 1, 2002...

Laurie

Kinda makes me wonder why.

I wonder if it's just a production problem, a bug they're trying to fix or some kind of marketing strategy.

Seems to me they would have busted their buns to get it out in time for Christmas.

Anybody heard ANY explanation/excuse for the delay?

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

Kinda makes me wonder why.

I wonder if it's just a production problem, a bug they're trying to fix or some kind of marketing strategy.

Seems to me they would have busted their buns to get it out in time for Christmas.

Anybody heard ANY explanation/excuse for the delay?

Nope the only thing I have heard is the same that you have - Cyber-Marine is also reporting the same delay...

Laurie

Guest Dnmeistr

quote:
the GPS V actually is almost Magellanic in many ways).

[/b]

What do you mean by that, the V is based off of the III+/II+ platform and the II+ has been around since about '96.

I do like the way Magellan has moved away from proprietary technology, in allowing users to buy standard off the shelf memory cards, with Garmin they seem to want to keep everything proprietary.

Dnmeistr

Guest jfitzpat

FWIW, I don't think the memory slot in newer Magellans, or the absense of one in newer Garmin's can be construed as one manufacturer trending towards an open architecture.

Both keep a tight lip about their mapping formats and protocols - God Forbid that someone put out quality maps, or vertical market maps that increase the products' appeal... Seriously, you would think crappy maps, made from 10 year old census data, bundled with so-so apps is the cornerstone of these company's GPS business.

Memory card vs. no memory card is just an engineering and marketing decision. On the one hand, such cards can be 'deferred cost' - that is, your unit price looks lower to the consumer, because they do not factor in memory cost when evaluating the unit. Or, another way of looking at it, users don't have to buy the memory until they buy mapping software and need it.

On the other hand, card slots make a unit larger and more prone to failure and customer support calls (that is not Magellan bagging, it just is - card connections are mechanical and more prone to failure, and vendors always get some customer support calls where 3rd party add-ons are to blame).

-jjf