Energizer 2100 mAH NiMH batteries at walmart.

I bought the 2000mAh Lemar batteries from Frys and I have been doing some run timetesting on them On average, I only get between 7 - 9 hours (with the GPS receiver on) on a Garmin GPS V. Far short of the 25 hours they claim from alkalines. What are others experiencing witht he GPS V with rechargables, preferrably the 2000 mAh Lemars so i can have a fair comparison. I got significantly higher with alklines.

quote:
Originally posted by Cypress Cacher:

... the 2000mAh Lemar batteries from Frys ... I only get between 7 - 9 hours (with the GPS receiver on) on a Garmin GPS V.

I get 16 - 18 hours on my GPS V with the Lemar NiMH's. And that is with WAAS turned on.

quote:
Originally posted by Cypress Cacher:

I bought the 2000mAh Lemar batteries from Frys and I have been doing some run timetesting on them On average, I only get between 7 - 9 hours (with the GPS receiver on) on a Garmin GPS V. Far short of the 25 hours they claim from alkalines. What are others experiencing witht he GPS V with rechargables, preferrably the 2000 mAh Lemars so i can have a fair

comparison. I got significantly higher with alklines.

For comparison: I have lithiums (non-rechargeable) in mine. I left my V on all night last night, about ten straight hours, and it was still showing full strength on the battery meter. I’ve had them in for a few cache hunts too so they weren’t new. (Lithiums seem like they are either full strength or dead on the meter usually) I was surprised they weren't dead.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

For comparison: I have lithiums (non-rechargeable) in mine. I left my V on all night last night, about ten straight hours, and it was still showing full strength on the battery meter. I’ve had them in for a few cache hunts too so they weren’t new. (Lithiums seem like they are either full strength or dead on the meter usually) I was surprised they weren't dead.

Did you change the battery type in the 'Menu' -- 'Setup' area on your GPS V? I believe that the Lithiums put out 1.5 volts each (as do Alkalines), whereas, NiMH's and NiCads put out 1.2 volts each. If the battery setting is on the latter, the Lithiums will show fully charged until they are almost dead.

Lithuims do have the deapest charge and longest shelf life. But because they are not rechargable, they can get expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

The only reason I'm using the lithiums is because I can get them at the base commissary for $6.54 a four-pack. I just grab a pack every time I grocery shop.

Yes, as you've found, the main problem with Li cells is the cost. They typically last about 1.5 times as long as alkalines and up to twice as long as good NiMHs, but at over $1.50 each they cost four times as much as alkalines and hundreds of times the cost per charge of NiMH.

quote:
...I believe that the Lithiums put out 1.5 volts each (as do Alkalines), whereas, NiMH's and NiCads put out 1.2 volts each.

Close, but alkalines start at 1.5 volts and decrease steadily from there. Rechargeables tend to maintain voltage more consistently, then drop off rapidly at the end.

Good advice to change the 'type' in the unit, though.