eMap firmware upgrade??

Guest JClishe

Guest JClishe

Has anyone had any difficulty upgrading the firmware on their eMap? Mine is at 2.05 and I'd like to get it to the current rev. I'm using a laptop with Windows 2000 Professional, and the upgrade program doesn't detect anything attached to the COM port. As a network engineer, I use the COM port all the time to connect to switches and routers, so I know the port is fine. Are there any specific settings that need to be configured? Do I need memory in the eMap? I just have the basic eMap, with no memory and no software.

Also, does anyone know how to switch to the NAD27 format?

Thanks for your help

Jason

[This message has been edited by JClishe (edited 03-19-2001).]

Guest Moss Trooper

I have a Garmin 12 and upload new firmware as it is released. The program is usually just a small Dos program and a data file.

I run the Dos prog and it uploads the new firmware. But make sure you have good batteries in the GPS or you may end up with a totally dead system if it shuts down too early.

When you extract the files from the zipped up download it usually has a readme with it.

Moss

Guest peter

I haven't had any trouble with any of the eMap upgrades from 2.05 up to my current 2.62 (2.63 is out but adds no new features).

If you sometimes use a Palm Pilot or equiv. on the serial port, make sure that the software for it is completely disabled - this has caused problems for lots of people.

As to your questions - no you don't need extra memory, the base eMap should upgrade just fine. And to switch to NAD27 you first have to upgrade to at least firmware release 2.50 which is when multi-datum support was introduced.

BTW, if you can't get the upgrade to work on your machine see if you can borrow someone else's - the many new features are definitely worth having.

Guest will_m

0 using Win98. I usually have a small DOS partition just for firmaware upgrades. (I do it mostly for my SCSI devices.) I was suprised it worked as well as it did on my 98. According to garmin's site, it will work with 95, 98 and NT 4.0 . There is a small possibility that it won't work with NT 2000. Trust me, I too work in the computy industry and I have seen weirder.

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?

Guest thepuck

Jason,

I use Win 2k Pro also and didn't have any trouble updating to v2.63. Make sure you have the eMap set to "Garmin" under the "Advanced Interface" section.

Larry

------------------

LEP

Guest JClishe

Thanks everyone. I tried the upgrade from my desktop (a Windows 2000 Server), and it worked just fine. Not sure why it wasn't working from my laptop, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Jaosn

Was it a Dell laptop. Some of the newer Dell laptop have trouble tolking to emap and other low voltage serial devices. I think there may be a bios update for certain models of dells laptops of this is a problem. I would do a little research.