Digital Compass Watch

Guest scanguy

Guest scanguy

I use a compass on every geocache I go on or any hike for that matter. I am interested in getting a digital compass as my etrex does not have that feature. Any suggestions on which one is the best? I have been looking at the Suunto Vector, but if there are any other ones that are better please let me know.

Guest Anton

Love my Suunto Vector. Timex has a cheap compass/watch for around $4O, but it doesn't have the Vector's altimeter/barometer functions or construction quality.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Exocet

Anton,

Do you have anything to say about the drawbacks of the Suunto Vector?

I've been wanting to get one forever, but my girlfriend complains that I already have a compass and an altimeter (via my GPS) that's "good enough" and I could buy a cheap thermometer anywhere.

I counter with "but the vector is REALLY COOL!@" but that doesn't seem to hold much water. Any reasons to definately go with the Vector or Avocet's Vertech II Alpin? Reasons to definately not?

I don't go climbing that much. I go hiking on the weekends and I usually top out at around 6-8 miles hiked in a day. I kinda doubt there is any pressing reason I should definately get one of these watches other than I really like techno toys and they're cool. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

Anton,

Do you have anything to say about the drawbacks of the Suunto Vector?

I've been wanting to get one forever, but my girlfriend complains that I already have a compass and an altimeter (via my GPS) that's "good enough" and I could buy a cheap thermometer anywhere.

I counter with "but the vector is REALLY COOL!@" but that doesn't seem to hold much water. Any reasons to definately go with the Vector or Avocet's Vertech II Alpin? Reasons to definately not?

I don't go climbing that much. I go hiking on the weekends and I usually top out at around 6-8 miles hiked in a day. I kinda doubt there is any pressing reason I should definately get one of these watches other than I really like techno toys and they're cool. icon_smile.gif

Guest scanguy

Thanks for the info. And I agree, the vector is a toy. . .I am super proficient with a compass and map, I could go without a GPS as well, but it is a toy that (((gets me out of the house!!!!!))) My wife does hike with me but I tell her I have no idea what I am doing so I must use the GPS, which does not have a digital compass.

Guest mkral

Don't know if it's any better, but Nike also has their ACG Ascent altimeter/compass/watch. The gear guy on outsidemag.com got asked about it and he liked the watch very much. I don't recall his response verbatim, but it turns out that the thing he didn't like about it (I think it was that it displayed metric units of measure only?) actually could be changed.

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

Before you buy a Vector I would strongly advise that you go out and actually look at one. You can get a much better price online or on ebay, but you might be a little dissapointed when you get it. When I got my dividend back from REI I almost bought one for myself. Instead, I bought my father a Polar HRM (excellent!, btw) because the Suunto did not live up to my expectations. I will try to keep the details short, but these were my complaints about the watch:

The lens is plastic and scratches easily.

It is hard to see the numbers at an angle.

The light and alarm are very weak.

If you push the buttons while submerged you WILL get water inside the watch. (remember this is not a dive watch)

Once they decide to replace the plastic dome with a real crystal and solve the light, alarm and number problem I will probably buy one. I know their reason for using plastic is to save on weight and cost, but I'm willing to pay the price. I also talked with the sales associate at REI about the watch, and I became aware of a few things. I'm going to pass them onto to potential buyers so that they know what they are getting themselves into.

You have to calibrate the barometer daily to get an accurate reading and for the altimeter to work correctly. (this involves calling your local airport)

It will give you a temperature reading, but because the sensor is so close to your body you have remove the watch from your wrist for 15 min. for it to give you an accurate reading.

The compass will only give you an accurate reading if you hold the watch level, you also have to calibrate it every once in a while.

Hope this helps,

GMcB

p.s. this is the most returned item at REI.

I would higly recomend their metal watches (XLander, and the newer one) I really want a black plastic one so I'm holding out until they improve it slightly.

[This message has been edited by GuyMcBeerdrinker (edited 24 May 2001).]

Guest Hawk-eye
Originally posted by GuyMcBeerdrinker:

Before you buy a Vector I would strongly

I agree with most of your points on the Vector ... but remember ... you have to hold ANY compass level ... digital especially but even the old magnetic needle! If you've had any military experience you'll remember the instructions for holding level and away from anything metal(kind of tough for a fully outfitted GI). Altimeters ... all altimeters have to be calibrated ... more than daily if you want accuracy ... because they work off of bar. pressure ... which changes hour to hour. You don't have to call the airport ... you can set to a known reference altitude ... from a map for example. On the other items ... yeah the plastic lens is an issue ... but what I found to be the biggest hassle with the unit other than the height on my wrist is the poor documentation that comes with it ... the manual is misleading and confusing in places. The interface and manual are not user friendly ... this will be a problem for someone that doesn't use it enough to become familiar with it's system and has to look it up prior to using it again after a couple of months.

Guest Anton

essup watch. If you buy it through the mail, you won't realize how big it is, let alone how it feels to wear it all day, and you'll most likely return it in a week. That's no fault of the watch.

If you really want to know how many people own the Vector, or any of the other Sunto models, contact the company, and ask how many have been manufactured. They may even have an idea how many have been sold. While these numbers don't express how many people actually like the watch, they will show you how many are wearing them. These numbers are at least as meaningful as the REI return numbers.

I looked at the Nike Ascent watch, and just didn't find it appealing. It seems to be well-made. Personally, I'd rather not own anything made by Nike, but that's just me.

Again, if you want an inexpensive digital watch with a compass, get the Timex. It doesn't have altimeter, barometer or temperature readings, but it's a cheap deal at $40-50. FYI, it has a plastic lens.

If you don't mind carrying another toy in your pocket, take a look at the electronic compasses offered by Brunton and other companies. They all look well-made and seem to be reasonably priced. Some models have additional readings like altimeter & barometer, and some are simply a compass.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 24 May 2001).]

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

Actually the number one complaint that people had was that the buttons on the watch come loose somehow, or that they started hearing a rattleling noise inside the watch.

Both the light and the alarm were important to me. When I go camping I place my watch on the pouch that is on my sleeeping bag, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I of course want to look at the time. If its cold outside the last thing I want to do it unzip my bag to find and flip on my headlamp. I also need a somewhat loud alarm to wake me up in the morning. Again, I never wear watches to bed, my G-Shocks either sit on my night table when I wear them (I also wear a chronograph that has no lights, and no alarm) at home, or on my sleeping bag when I go camping.

I actually held one of my G-Shocks next to the Vector and I could read the numbers on my smaller watch at an angle better than the Vector. One of the things why I didn't like that is that when I drive I turn my watch around so I can just glance at it to get the correct time. You see I only adjust the clock in my car twice a year (for Day Lights Savings time) and even then I always keep it a few minutes fast to help me get anywhere I need to go on time.

As an REI member I too feel cheated when someone buys something just to use on the weekend and then return it for a full refund. This not only not helps to keep the prices down, but it also cuts into my dividends.

I worked in a sporting goods store a long time ago, and I always saw people that came in to return items because they didn't work. Especially hackers who bought expensive golf clubs, that apparently didn't work as advertised. What people don't know is that equipment can only do so much, a golf club is not going to cure your slice. I just wanted to make everyone aware that this is not a wonder watch. You actually have to put the effort to learn all its functions, and keep it well maintained to take advantage of all it has to offer. One good example is the barometer calibration. Many people don't know you have to calibrate it to get an accurate reading. Another example is the compass reading, I know someone's first reaction is to tilt your wrist to see the numbers, and some many not realize the watch is not level and it might give you a misread.

Guest Exocet

Hmmm. Lots of good points of view and information.

As with everything in life, one must ultimately see with their own eyes and make their own decisions. Nonetheless, it's nice to know what everyone feels are the pros and cons of the Suunto Vector.

Personally, I think the Vector *looks* pretty big. I'm used to wearing a Casio Databank 150 which I thought was a big watch until I saw the Vector.

Funny thing, though, I've had this particular Casio watch for two years now and it's got one scratch on the face. I've got it wet, cold, beat it up a little, etc but it's held together fine. I think the same could be said for any watch that you attempt to treat nicely.

In fact, I had an old Casio Databank 50 watch on which the band had broke. I decided to see what would happen if I stuck it in a cup of water and froze it inside of the freezer. The next day I checked and I could just *barely* see the display still functioning. I busted the ice off've the watch and it continued working despite several more immersions/freezings. I finally threw it out after the battery finally pooped out about a year later. That was a sturdy watch, especially considering that it was only rated as splash-resistant. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

Hmmm. Lots of good points of view and information.

As with everything in life, one must ultimately see with their own eyes and make their own decisions. Nonetheless, it's nice to know what everyone feels are the pros and cons of the Suunto Vector.

Personally, I think the Vector *looks* pretty big. I'm used to wearing a Casio Databank 150 which I thought was a big watch until I saw the Vector.

Funny thing, though, I've had this particular Casio watch for two years now and it's got one scratch on the face. I've got it wet, cold, beat it up a little, etc but it's held together fine. I think the same could be said for any watch that you attempt to treat nicely.

In fact, I had an old Casio Databank 50 watch on which the band had broke. I decided to see what would happen if I stuck it in a cup of water and froze it inside of the freezer. The next day I checked and I could just *barely* see the display still functioning. I busted the ice off've the watch and it continued working despite several more immersions/freezings. I finally threw it out after the battery finally pooped out about a year later. That was a sturdy watch, especially considering that it was only rated as splash-resistant. icon_smile.gif

Guest scanguy

Well, thank you again to everyone that has replied to the post. I am actually looking at the Suunto Navitec watch now. The vector is nice but to comprehensive. I don't need all that superfluous stuff. All I want is a watch and compass in one, but of good quality. Being the techno gadget geek I am, I so a lot of research on a product before I purchase so I know what I am getting into. Everyone's tastes are different.

Guest Prime Suspect

. It's the bubble level that helps give the Vector the most accurate reading of any compass watch. And to date, my lens has resisted any scratches.

The light, while not as bright as the G-Shock (which you can actually read a book by), I've found to be bright enough to do its job.

I've never had a problem reading the numbers. I did have a problem getting used to 12 midnight being represented as 0:00, even when displaying civil time.

The alarm IS weak. I have to assume they are attempting to conserve the battery, since electronic compasses are real power hogs. I would never rely on it to wake me up.

You do very occasionally have to re-calibrates the compass. This is normal for an electronic compass, and only takes a minute to do. I've had to do it 3 times since I've owned the watch. My complaint in this area is that there is no indicator to tell you that re-calibration is needed.

Yes the altimeter needs to be calibrated. They all do. Others may find this inconvenient. I have no real need to know my height relative to sea level. I'm more interested in the altitude difference between point A and B. While I may get a slightly more accurate reading by re-calibrating, it's good enough for my purposes.

I've only seen one watch that claimed to give an accurate ambient temperature reading, without being affected by body heat. It was not very accurate while on the wrist, and even less accurate when off. I consider this a "thrown-in" feature.

A real plus on this watch is the barometric pressure journaling, and the trend graph. These can be invaluable when trying to determine what the weather's going to do.

And the next time you watch the Eco-Challenge, notice how many contestants are wearing Suunto watches.

Guest Anton

To Prime Suspect --

The Vector takes temperature readings? Please tell me how. It's not in the manual, and I don't see temperature in the various display modes. I'm really puzzled about this - help! You're the second person who told about this, and I'm at a loss.

Anton

Guest Silver

About a watch's temperature readings...

My Citizen Hyper Aqualand (diving watch/computer) also has a temp feature. The only time I consider it accurate is after I have taken it off and allowed it to stabilize for 10 minutes, or after I'm in the water for over 1 minute.

Anytime I'm wearing it, out of the water, it reads 90°F, summer or winter.

Silver

(Hey! Who moved my spell check button?)

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 03 June 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

To Prime Suspect --

The Vector takes temperature readings? Please tell me how. It's not in the manual, and I don't see temperature in the various display modes. I'm really puzzled about this - help! You're the second person who told about this, and I'm at a loss.

Anton

It's on the barometric display. The temperature readout isn't on the big display, which it probably why you're missing it. It's shown in small numbers at the very top center of the display.

Guest Anton

To Prime Suspect --

Thanks, got it now! Can't believe it's not in the Vector manual.

Anton, 8H/9F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Hawk-eye

Anton,

Got your email ... but on the Vector ... as much as I love the device ... I find the manual really ... oh, I don't know ... sucks.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Thanks, got it now! Can't believe it's not in the Vector manual.

It's in my manual. Check out the first page or so of chapter 5.

Just some FYI:

Barometers are affected by the temperature. The Suunto corrects for this by measuring its own temperature, and adjusting accordingly. It's this temperature value that's displayed on the watch. That's why I consider it a "thrown-in" feature. It's something the watch has to do anyway. They've simply added a readout to it.