GPS support in Microsoft Streets

Guest Rybren

I was thinking of buying Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002 to use for mapping out geocaches and for waypoint management. Neither the Microsoft website nor the product packaging is very specific in the level of support provided to gps useage.

Is anyone out there familiar with this software, and if so, can you answer the following questions:

1. Can you plot points based on lat/long (and in WGS84)?

2. Can you upload and download waypoints to & from a gpsr?

3. Can you plot routes and upload/download them to a gpsr?

4. Does it support the Magellan Map 410?

TIA

Jerry

Hi

I use S&T quite a bit and the answers are:

1-Yes, you can find a point by Long/Lat and plop down a push pin on the map

2-No upload, you can download from a GPS and export to a text file and import that into S&T though

3-Yes you can make a route but you can't u/l to a GPSR

4-It supports any GPSR that can be set up to transmit NMEA format data (ASCII)

Its still very handy, especially for the price. If you need uploads into a GPS, look at ExpertGPS (dot com) or Ozi or Fugawi

Have Fun

Park2

Park2:

Thanks for the info. Based on the lack of details provided by the vendor, I suspected that yours would be the answers to my questions.

I'm currently using the demo version of Ozi (too cheap to pay $150 for the full version)coupled with the topo maps from toporama. I'm generally very satisfied with the program, but I was hoping that Streets would give me the same features along with the better maps.

I may still get Streets anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

n you plot routes and upload/download them to a gpsr?

Yes but again, not directly. If you create a route and save the file you can open it with GSP Util (http://www.gpsu.co.uk/) and then import it into your GPS.

4. Does it support the Magellan Map 410?

NMEA

I love this program and use it a lot. I've found it to be excellent, especially as far as Canada goes. (Not much to compare it to!). I plot all the GC's in Ontario on a map that I keep up to date by changing the icon of the GC when I find it. I also can click the hyperlink in the Baloon for the GC to go the GC page.

I didn't know that Streets & Maps didn't do all of that, but what made me decide not to get it was that it only updated the laptop once every 15 seconds. I decided on the DeLorme Streets 9.0 (I think that's the name of it), and it works, GREAT! It does all that you mentioned, both the uploading and downloading to and from your GPS. I've really enjoyed using it, and still have so much to learn.

Hope this helps, and not too late.

bo

GPS support is very basic, only displays your position with longitude and latitude with a 15s refresh and that's it.

No waypoint, no route, no navigation tools.

On the other hand, the map details is very handy in urban areas.

I export my Street and trips map and calibrate them is Ozi when I want to navigate with a more powerfull software.

Ianic

quote:
Originally posted by Ianic:

I export my Street and trips map and calibrate them is Ozi when I want to navigate with a more powerfull software.

Ianic

How do you do this? I have only been able to 'Copy Map'.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?