Help a lazy newbie cacher decide...

FuR

Ok, I need to make a quick decision and really don't have time to do my homework and research these units as much as i'd like to... I'm going on a trip to Minneapolis this weekend and i'd like to get a unit that has the point-to-point direction features, and be able to use the GPS for caching... I have a $160 dollar gift card for circuit city i can put toward this, but i don't want to put too much more into it... right now i'm kinda weighing the garmin emap and legend units. Will these do what i want? both are 199.99 on the cc website... and they've got a few other models in the same price range. CC link to GPS units if this works...

It would be very convenient to have something to plug and address into and just follow the turn by turn directions.

Can i have my cake and eat it too? HELP!!!

Yup, the Garmin V is the only unit that will do the auto-routing for you and double as a caching GPS. Your only alternative would be to pick up a GPS receiver for a PDA (assuming you have a PDA already).

(BTW...I was the FTF on your "FuRst" cache...nice job!)

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

While neither will autoroute on the unit itself, you can use the MetroGuide software to do the autorouting on the computer and then upload the routes to the unit. Both the Legend & the eMap will do this. Also, both units can lookup addresses and points of interest, and then draw a straight line between you and the target. Not the same as autorouting, but helpful.

The eMap has an audible alarm that warns of upcoming turns - the Legend does not.

The Legend's 8MB of memory is a small snack for the MetroGuide's massive data! I cannot fit all of the Washington, DC area's Beltway road system with MetroGuide 5 data. The eMap is expandable to 128MB - enough space for a trip from New York to Florida including the metropolitan areas of NYC, Washington, Baltimore, Richmond and Orlando! Of course, the MetroGuide software and the memory data card would be an added expense.

I love all of the features of the Legend - It's an awesome unit. It simply falls short when it comes to mapping long trips. That's why I bought the eMap (and the 128MB data card).

All item descriptions say that the eMap accepts 8 or 16MB data cards (even Garmin's Web site), but this is old information. I sent an email to Garmin regarding this issue and their response was that a firmware upgrade allows the use of the 128MB card. I can personally confirm it to be true. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Your only alternative would be to pick up a GPS receiver for a PDA (assuming you have a PDA already).

(BTW...I was the FTF on your "FuRst" cache...nice job!)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

i have an older sony clie PDA,

i'm not sure if there are any

add-ons available for it.

tis a... pegn610 i believe?

i should remember these things...

Thanks to everyone for the help!